Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:11 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Another hitch, I just spoke to my ISP who inform me that when thet asked Telstra to connect my adsl they said there was no such number, so they can't connect me.

I spoke to optus who my line is with and they so there's no reason why telstra should say that and there's nothing they can do about it.

I doubt if Telstra will talk to me as I don't have an account with them, I'm at a loss what to do
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:16 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get broadband when telstra says your number doesn't exist

Originally Posted by fraser
Another hitch, I just spoke to my ISP who inform me that when thet asked Telstra to connect my adsl they said there was no such number, so they can't connect me.

I spoke to optus who my line is with and they so there's no reason why telstra should say that and there's nothing they can do about it.

I doubt if Telstra will talk to me as I don't have an account with them, I'm at a loss what to do
I may be dead wrong but I always thought that telstra had the monopoly on phones just like bt in the uk and therefore the lines are all telstra lines but you choose who you want to provide your service.
I have optus as my isp and phone but its telstra that services the line when theres a physical problem.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:22 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I may be dead wrong but I always thought that telstra had the monopoly on phones just like bt in the uk and therefore the lines are all telstra lines but you choose who you want to provide your service.
I have optus as my isp and phone but its telstra that services the line when theres a physical problem.
You're correct that's the problem my phone is with optus, I've gone to Tel Pacific for my internet they stuck my phone number in their computer and told me my exchange is ADSL enabled and that they would send the request to Telstra who as you say monopolise the lines to connect the ADSL but they've come back saying there's no such number.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

You're correct that's the problem my phone is with optus, I've gone to Tel Pacific for my internet they stuck my phone number in their computer and told me my exchange is ADSL enabled and that they would send the request to Telstra who as you say monopolise the lines to connect the ADSL but they've come back saying there's no such number.
Is this a new build that you are renting? Is there phone points in the house? We had the same issue when we tried to get broadband. We thought there had been a line in here beforehand with previous tenants but that wasn't the case. We plugged a phone into the socket and no ring tone. We had to get back onto the landlord and get him to organise a line installation. $220 I think. That then gave us a number to use.

After that we were up and running
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
Is this a new build that you are renting? Is there phone points in the house? We had the same issue when we tried to get broadband. We thought there had been a line in here beforehand with previous tenants but that wasn't the case. We plugged a phone into the socket and no ring tone. We had to get back onto the landlord and get him to organise a line installation. $220 I think. That then gave us a number to use.

After that we were up and running

Yes it is a newish build, there were people living here before us but they had no phone line, I think they may have been the owners.

There were two phone points and we had it connected Friday by a goy from telstra, yet they don't recognise it
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Yes it is a newish build, there were people living here before us but they had no phone line, I think they may have been the owners.

There were two phone points and we had it connected Friday by a goy from telstra, yet they don't recognise it
So you can use the phone and they don't recognise your number?

That is not right..........Typical Telstra by the sounds of things. I reckon I would be having a good chat with these guys.
They are shocking. They asked for 3 months line rental from us and we had line rental through iinet. We confronted them and they said iinet were in the wrong. Not the case. They should never have asked for the money and now we have been told we will get a refund when they see no activity on the number. Be aware of this scam. Don't pay the line rental they ask for. If they do ask and you confront the situation make sure you get the persons name as it is illegal apparently.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:56 am

So you can use the phone and they don't recognise your number?
I know it beggars belief it was a guy from telstra who came round to connect me, yet they have no knowledge that the number exists.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know it beggars belief it was a guy from telstra who came round to connect me, yet they have no knowledge that the number exists.
And Optus don't want anything to do with it. I would have thought they should be persuing Telstra to make changes to enable ADSL.
I would also be saying to Telstra if they don't recognise the number they have just fitted then they will be unable to bill you for any calls you make and also any installation fee they might charge.

Let us know how you get on
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:34 pm

And Optus don't want anything to do with it. I would have thought they should be persuing Telstra to make changes to enable ADSL.
I would also be saying to Telstra if they don't recognise the number they have just fitted then they will be unable to bill you for any calls you make and also any installation fee they might charge.

Let us know how you get on
It's nt that optus don't want anything to do with it, they're just saying well it's all on the computer they should have it, oh and would you like to talk to our adsl department I'm sure they'd be able to sort you out
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:35 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Absolutely unbef*****glievable.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Absolutely unbef*****glievable.
Language Richard
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's nt that optus don't want anything to do with it, they're just saying well it's all on the computer they should have it, oh and would you like to talk to our adsl department I'm sure they'd be able to sort you out
I think I would be taking a trip into a Telstra shop and getting them to check. Always good face to face. I have also taken this tact in the past. Then you can question the process without getting palmed off.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:05 pm

I think I would be taking a trip into a Telstra shop and getting them to check. Always good face to face. I have also taken this tact in the past. Then you can question the process without getting palmed off.

That's what I plan to do, I'll go in there and enquire about getting broadband and if they say I can get it, I'll ask how come.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:15 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Telstra and Optus are the two dearest providers. They are also the two crappest
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by HUP
Telstra and Optus are the two dearest providers. They are also the two crappest
I know that's why I was going with Tel-pacific until they told me Telstra couldn't install my adsl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.