Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How To Get 4okg Allowance!

How To Get 4okg Allowance!

Old May 30th 2006, 7:25 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Cool How To Get 4okg Allowance!

We have been reading in this forum about people taking 40kg baggage allowance, some saying its fine and alot having problems when getting it the airport.

We went onto the Emirates website and sent them an email asking if it was ok for 40kg or not and we got a reply the next day with all the terms and conditions. Some include: only if you are going to Australia, have uk passport, have perminent visa stating indefinate stay, one way ticket,must not have entered Australia before on this visa and you are not allowed to stop over in say Dubia (leave the airport). You must confirm that you want extra baggage before booking your ticket.

To cut it short, if you have it on your ticket with 40kg instead of 20kg you should be fine!

Hope this helps someone, Pete.

Last edited by pete jackson; May 30th 2006 at 7:57 pm.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future
Default Re: How To Get 4okg Allowance!

Hi Pete,

We flew with Emirates 2 years ago and had no problems with the extra baggage, but my sister emigrated 3 months ago with Air China and she had to pay extra on her fare to get the extra allowance. I dont know how she managed with just 20kgs!! Hope you have a smooth journey!
Old May 31st 2006, 6:05 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine
Hi Pete,

We flew with Emirates 2 years ago and had no problems with the extra baggage, but my sister emigrated 3 months ago with Air China and she had to pay extra on her fare to get the extra allowance. I dont know how she managed with just 20kgs!! Hope you have a smooth journey!
Did you have 40kg stamped on your ticket with Emirates??
Old May 31st 2006, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

No, we emailed Emirates direct, and they replied by email. I printed off the email just in case but it wasnt required.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine
No, we emailed Emirates direct, and they replied by email. I printed off the email just in case but it wasnt required.
Same here- just phoned customer services and been told exactly the same..we are going to Perth in September and been told one way ticket,no stopovers and must have PR Visa....had hoped to stopover in Dubai for q few days but would rather have the 40 kg baggage allowance.
Old May 31st 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzymaz
Same here- just phoned customer services and been told exactly the same..we are going to Perth in September and been told one way ticket,no stopovers and must have PR Visa....had hoped to stopover in Dubai for q few days but would rather have the 40 kg baggage allowance.

i went through all sorts of hassle from Emirates last week, and i found them extremely rude.

i met all the criteria, but in the end they gave me 30Kg and that was it
Old May 31st 2006, 12:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
i went through all sorts of hassle from Emirates last week, and i found them extremely rude.

i met all the criteria, but in the end they gave me 30Kg and that was it
Wasn't yours the temp residence part of a spouse visa though? Thats the snag - most airlines don't recognise that as a PR visa.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about

Any tips for getting extra baggage out of CathayPacific, we booked online but when we contacted the UK desk they were vague and said "we needed a different sort of ticket" to get extra baggage so we couldn't have any

Matt

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wasn't yours the temp residence part of a spouse visa though? Thats the snag - most airlines don't recognise that as a PR visa.
Old May 31st 2006, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Any tips for getting extra baggage out of CathayPacific, we booked online but when we contacted the UK desk they were vague and said "we needed a different sort of ticket" to get extra baggage so we couldn't have any

Matt
I got it with them 3 years ago but I had to beg and plead. I think they now do a "migration fare" like Qantas - which is more expensive than the normal one! - and you might get the baggage with that. Try the UK Customer Service Manager in London - I got a number from the phone book I think from memory.....
HAven't seen an excess allowance with Cathay on here for a while though.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:24 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: How To Get 4okg Allowance!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I got it with them 3 years ago but I had to beg and plead. I think they now do a "migration fare" like Qantas - which is more expensive than the normal one! - and you might get the baggage with that. Try the UK Customer Service Manager in London - I got a number from the phone book I think from memory.....
HAven't seen an excess allowance with Cathay on here for a while though.
More than likeley we will be flying with Cathay Pacific. As there are five of us we do feel that 20Kgs each will be more than enough!

Nearer the time to booking the flights though we may just see if they will give us any kind of allowance. Good to have the option I suppose!

If anyone does get any kind of good deal don't forget to post in on here (and PM me too of course!) and i will obviously do the same.

Could go for other flights but because of where we are flying to and with three children one stop will be enough!

R.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I went to Scotland for a week and my bag weighed 18kg. (although my wheelie case does weigh about 4 kg on its own) I'm flying Malaysian I think so 20kg will be my lot! HOW am I going to manage!!! I reckon I am going to wear as many clothes as possible on to the plane with me - 2 of everything!! And take a bin liner to strip it all off into when on board!!
Old May 31st 2006, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Wonder if it's worth taking (lightweight ) holdalls?

Has anyone had any extra allowance with Malaysian?
S
Old May 31st 2006, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We flew via the States, got a whopping 64K each. No more than two pcs of luggage not weighing more than 32K each.

So not much help for those already booked on flights, but I really would suggest going via the States, also it did break up the flight nicely, we ended up having a few days in LA - its soooooo cheap.

Good luck to everyone coming

Tracey.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:51 am
Home and Happy

Little tip. If you take someone to the airport with you, get them to mind your hand luggage. That way the check in staff don't see it, and you can get away with slightly more (though don't go too crazy)....... worst case scenario, you then get to the gate with the bags and the staff will refuse to let them on as hand luggage and put them in the hold as last minute luggage (make sure they are labelled in case of this).
I did this when I bought a duvet back from the UK in November - as it was they let me carry it on, but it was extra on top of a rucksack, handbag, 3 books, and two coats.......and a fuyy chipmunk
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:04 am
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

We flew via the States, got a whopping 64K each. No more than two pcs of luggage not weighing more than 32K each.

So not much help for those already booked on flights, but I really would suggest going via the States, also it did break up the flight nicely, we ended up having a few days in LA - its soooooo cheap.

Good luck to everyone coming

Tracey.
What airline did you fly with mate when going via the states? Pete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.