Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How fussy are Emirates on Baggage allowance

How fussy are Emirates on Baggage allowance

Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default How fussy are Emirates on Baggage allowance

We are having 2 stops so not allowed the extra migrant allowance.

How much do you think we would get away with if we are over our 20kg

When we went BA to Florida in November we were over and no one said a thing.

This is very hypothetical as we haven't packed yet... and I'm not thinking we will be massively over maybe 5kg or so each....

Thanks for your thoughts..

Julie
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:12 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How fussy are Emirates on Baggage allowance

Originally Posted by JJJHM

This is very hypothetical as we haven't packed yet... and I'm not thinking we will be massively over maybe 5kg or so each....

Julie
Depends how full the flight is when I came from Glasgow last summer to Dubai they wouldn't even let me over by 4kgs but luckly I could take it on as hand luggage, it looked as though the flight had a load of golfers on which could have put up the weight I guess.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Totally at the discretion of the check-in person on the day. They have weight limits for flights, they can see ifa flight is full, and a mroe experienced agent can take a better guess at what is feasible than a newbie can.
Put simply, the problem at the end of the day is that if the check-in staff have allowed too much luggage through, then the airline may have to leave freight behind, therefore possibly breaking contracts, incurring penalties etc.

Oys just a matter of luck really.

If flying from Heathrow or Gatwick (don't know about others) there is n office for Excess baggage Co in the terminal - if you have too much luggage you can always buy an extra case and get them to freight it over for you. The night before my flight, I worked out I was well over, so we boxed the extra up, sent it air freight, and it arrived only a couple of days after I did.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Totally at the discretion of the check-in person on the day. They have weight limits for flights, they can see ifa flight is full, and a mroe experienced agent can take a better guess at what is feasible than a newbie can.
Put simply, the problem at the end of the day is that if the check-in staff have allowed too much luggage through, then the airline may have to leave freight behind, therefore possibly breaking contracts, incurring penalties etc.

If flying from Heathrow or Gatwick (don't know about others) there is n office for Excess baggage Co in the terminal - if you have too much luggage you can always buy an extra case and get them to freight it over for you. The night before my flight, I worked out I was well over, so we boxed the extra up, sent it air freight, and it arrived only a couple of days after I did.

Thanks for that, really good idea to take excess to heathrow and send air fright, fingers crossed it doesn't come to that..

Julie
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:20 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Pollyanna - just interested - is air freight expensive from heathrow?

Lynn
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 7:42 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its really down to the person at the checkin desk !

I flew back with Thai a few years ago with 32.5kgs !!!!!

Smiled nice at the guy behind the desk and asked how his day was all cherpy like ,and hey he was in a good mood , so no wukkers
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Worked out abou the same as getting it shipped normally by air I think - I sent a couple of boxes by air earlier, and I don;t remember a great difference in price. Can't remember the pruces very well now I'm afraid, but if you ring the Excess Baggage Co office at LHR they should be able to quote you depending on box size - thats what I did.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JJJHM

Julie
Very fussy - have travelled all the classes and have found them to be very fussy!
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:05 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salonit
Very fussy - have travelled all the classes and have found them to be very fussy!
Never mind when you get on at heathrow - what about after your stops laden with Ipods , DVD players, and other thingies with batteries ;-)
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
Never mind when you get on at heathrow - what about after your stops laden with Ipods , DVD players, and other thingies with batteries ;-)

No... I won't let him... rest will be hidden in the container..
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salonit
Thank-you best to be prepared!!

Julie
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We arranged 40Kgs each with Emirates at booking but when we got to check-in, our bags weighed 83Kgs combined. I was just starting to count the cost but thankfully our check-in attendant was working out the weight with a pencil and pad and got it wrong