How frightening

Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

brian and wendy is a jewel in the roughbrian and wendy is a jewel in the roughbrian and wendy is a jewel in the roughbrian and wendy is a jewel in the rough
Default How frightening

Once you have made up your mind to move, is the decision really frightening, knowing that you are going over to Australia with a job, but no home after a month, as the company that is sponsoring us is giving us a months free rent in a flat, The job will be based around my husband so i was thinking that i could have this first month to find areas that we may like to live and see what kind of social things we can do, to make friends and not feel so isolated... Am i on the right track,
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How frightening

Originally Posted by brian and wendy
Once you have made up your mind to move, is the decision really frightening, knowing that you are going over to Australia with a job, but no home after a month, as the company that is sponsoring us is giving us a months free rent in a flat, The job will be based around my husband so i was thinking that i could have this first month to find areas that we may like to live and see what kind of social things we can do, to make friends and not feel so isolated... Am i on the right track,
We are back on track after our housesale falling thru and I am getting the jitters too, if that is any consolation! LOL! Mind you, neither me or hubby has a job or a place to go too.. and we have 2 children school age.. we are just going to get a campervan and tour til we find what we want...

arrghhh! scary scary! (but exciting scary!)

Em x
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:33 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

This is exactly our situation, but unfortunately I was having probs with a difficult pregnancy so I couldn't get out & about too much. I was also too worried about driving by myself as we are in Sydney & I need to take my time to get used to the traffic. Public transport is good though, but not good enough for getting to see potential homes etc

I thought I could make do with using an internet cafe but in the end we bought a laptop & subscribed to a wireless internet connection so it was more convenient for me to do research even though it is pretty expensive.

We found for house-hunting that most houses to buy are open on weekends to look around so there was not a lot to do house-hunting wise during the week when OH was at work except to narrow down the list of houses to see.

That first month goes quite quickly & other short-term rentals can be hard to find so if you need somewhere to cover the gap between the first month & moving into a house then get on to that straight away. We thought we may be able to extend that first month but it was too expensive for us once the company stopped paying.

It has been a bit tough sometimes as without the daily distraction of work like OH has, it can feel like being in limbo. You just have to be a bit resourceful.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:34 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We came out here with out any jobs, anywhere to live and having never set foot in brisbane (my OH had never set foot in Australia!) we soon found a great area with a nice 'feel' and have put down roots now. If you need any advice re: Real Estate please feel free to ask. We also offer an apartment for short term lets, fully furnished.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:47 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

no jobs, no house, no friends-just us, 2 dogs, a container full of furniture & a whole new world of possibilities!

start researching areas before you go and make a shortlist so you have a somewhere to start. If you wont be working yourself (temporarily or permanently) i would say pick a lively area so that even if you don't make friends straight away there is a buzz & you dont feel isolated when OH at work
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Good luck!!

Debbie
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

[QUOTE=JoolsB;5468350]no jobs, no house, no friends-just us, 2 dogs, a container full of furniture & a whole new world of possibilities!

Just what Hubby and I used to say to each other....(Minus the dogs however).
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:16 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

You're on the right track, We've been in a similar boat, focus on the task ahead, enjoy and it'll all work out!

Good luck!

Carmel