Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to find someone in Oz

How to find someone in Oz

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default How to find someone in Oz

I've got a name, a rough place and a rough time they went. Any chance??
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find someone in Oz

Originally Posted by Gjn200
You could try the white pages http://www.whitepages.com/
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: How to find someone in Oz

If they are likely to be collecting any benefits try Centrelink. They can't actually give you any info. but they contact everyone with that name who is claiming a benefit, and it is then up to them to get in touch with you. Or the Salvation Army, but really you need a date of birth for this. I tried, unsuccessfully to find a great uncle who moved to Perth from Ireland years ago. Although my search was not successful the people at Centrelink at the Sally Army couldn't have been more helpful. You can also put an advert in the local paper. Here in Perth they have a Where Are You column. It takes a while for the ad to appear, but it's worth a try. Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:19 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gjn200
If you have their FULL name, and preferably a date of birth, you can always search the electoral rolls, both State and Federal.

The following is from the Queensland Electoral Commission (http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=190) but there's an equivalent for each State.

The electoral roll

When you enrol to vote, your name is placed on the electoral roll. After filling out the Enrolment Form, you will be enrolled to vote in Federal, State and local government elections.

Accessing the electoral roll

Under Queensland’s electoral law, the public has the right to view the electoral roll. You can view the State electoral roll and the Federal electoral roll for free.

The most recent Queensland electoral roll was printed on 19 January 2004. A new roll will be printed when the roll is closed for the next State election.

You can view the electoral roll at the Electoral Commission of Queensland, or at an Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) office within Queensland. Phone the AEC on 132 326 for an office closest to you.

The Federal electoral roll is available at any office of the AEC or at the AEC’s Brisbane office: Level 7, 488 Queen Street, or at any of the AEC offices based in other capital cities.

Our website also gives you access to the status of your own enrolment. Go to Check your enrolment to view your details.

Last edited by ProofReader; Nov 23rd 2004 at 8:23 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ProofReader
If you have their FULL name, and preferably a date of birth, you can always search the electoral rolls, both State and Federal.

The following is from the Queensland Electoral Commission (http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=190) but there's an equivalent for each State.

The electoral roll

When you enrol to vote, your name is placed on the electoral roll. After filling out the Enrolment Form, you will be enrolled to vote in Federal, State and local government elections.

Accessing the electoral roll

Under Queensland’s electoral law, the public has the right to view the electoral roll. You can view the State electoral roll and the Federal electoral roll for free.

The most recent Queensland electoral roll was printed on 19 January 2004. A new roll will be printed when the roll is closed for the next State election.

You can view the electoral roll at the Electoral Commission of Queensland, or at an Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) office within Queensland. Phone the AEC on 132 326 for an office closest to you.

The Federal electoral roll is available at any office of the AEC or at the AEC’s Brisbane office: Level 7, 488 Queen Street, or at any of the AEC offices based in other capital cities.

Our website also gives you access to the status of your own enrolment. Go to Check your enrolment to view your details.

Great isn't it. The compulsory enrolment here, and yet I know I can walk into any council building here in Brisbane and else where to find anyone who is registered ( you can go to the local council offices too to do this, whether it's Redcliffe, Caboolture, Pine shire, Brisbane etc, etc ) and look through the names.

I have always found this rich, what if some woman is fleeing from her wife battering husband who she is scared of? That husband can look at the enrolments

I know You can also trace people this way in the Uk too - it's quite easily for the UK, it's online and you can buy the discs for the years , and have traced some people this way, but Uk it is non compulsory to enrol.. so if you don't want to be found, you won't be found by not enrolling to vote.

Some people can not see why comulsory voting is so ludcrious here in Aus . I personally think this is one of the many reasons why a it's violation of your privacy. How do you know this person asking the question is not a loon looking for his runaway wife? ( I'm not saying you are by the way GJN200). But you don't know that do you?

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 24th 2004 at 2:33 am.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:04 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by Ceri
Great isn't it. The compulsory enrolment here, and yet I know I can walk into any council building here in Brisbane and else where to find anyone who is registered ( you can go to the local council offices too to do this, whether it's Redcliffe, Caboolture, Pine shire, Brisbane etc, etc ) and look through the names.

I have always found this rich, what if some woman is fleeing from her wife battering husband who she is scared of? That husband can look at the enrolments

I know You can also trace people this way in the Uk too - it's quite easily for the UK, it's online and you can buy the discs for the years , and have traced some people this way, but Uk it is non compulsory to enrol.. so if you don't want to be found, you won't be found by not enrolling to vote.

Some people can not see why comulsory voting is so ludcrious here in Aus . I personally think this is one of the many reasons why a it's violation of your privacy. How do you know this person asking the question is not a loon looking for his runaway wife? ( I'm not saying you are by the way GJN200). But you don't know that do you?

Cheers

Totally agree with you Ceri. I tried to explain this to some Aussies the other day and got shot down big time...they couldn't understand my reasoning at all.
I think everyone should be given the freedom of choice, and choosing to vote or not is all part of a free and liberal society IMO. I hadn't realised that anyone can get access to the electoral role as well.

Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Totally agree with you Ceri. I tried to explain this to some Aussies the other day and got shot down big time...they couldn't understand my reasoning at all.
I think everyone should be given the freedom of choice, and choosing to vote or not is all part of a free and liberal society IMO. I hadn't realised that anyone can get access to the electoral role as well.
thanks.

frightening isn't it? ( I have the rolls on disc from the Uk and can trace anyone who is on it in the UK for the past few years. 2001 , 2002 etc if I have their area and name) If it was me I would not have answered this post because of that. But proofreader gave them that info, which most people do know about here, so I carried on from him.

Aus you have no choice if you are a citizen.

Never give out your real name and what area you are living , on the internet for gawds sake , like I see some people do, you can be easily traced if you vote . And have done it with some people in the UK on the discs I own.

Cheers

P.S , John Howard has long been against Compulsory voting but many in his party disagree with him on this issue so he does not push it . who knows maybe Aus will get rid of it one day. I don't understated how Aus ever got it to be compulsory in the first place. It is to my knowledge the only so-called Western democracy that you must enrol.. so much for democracy and civil rights

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 24th 2004 at 3:51 am.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ceri
thanks.

frightening isn't it? ( I have the roles on disc from the Uk and can trace anyone who is on it in the UK for the past few years. 2001 , 2002 etc if I have their area and name) If it was me I would not have answered this post because of that. But proofreader gave them that info, which most people do know about here, so I carried on from him.

Aus you have no choice if you are a citizen.

Never give out your real name and what area you are living , on the internet for gawds sake , like I see some people do, you can be easily traced if you vote . And have done it with some people in the UK on the discs I own.

Cheers

P.S , John Howard has long been against Compulsory voting but many in his party disagree with him on this issue so he dose not push it . who knows maybe Aus will get rid of it one day. I don't understated how Aus ever got it to be compulsory in the first place. It is to my knowledge the only so-called democracy that you must enrol..

So we could end up with our own personl Stalkers. Bit Scary.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by Bordy
So we could end up with our own personl Stalkers. Bit Scary.
It's not online here, you have to got the buildings, but it's the same principle as in the UK.. put it this way, I put in my mothers name on the electoral roll search on the UK discs I own, and the town - I found her in one second.

I've never searched here in Aus, but I know the registers are open to the public here. I can go to Strathpine ( Pine shire council) and look at the roles if need be for a Pine shire resident I'm looking for . The major Diff here and in Britain - if you are a citizen, you must by law be enrolled - you don't have to in Britain.

I'm just thinking of say someone fleeing a "nutter" who does not want to be found.

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 24th 2004 at 3:50 am.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

There are occasions when your details can be hidden from public view on the Electoral Register.

"You can have your name listed silently on the electoral rolls. You need to ask either at your Division Office, or at the office in the division you are about to move in to, for a Silent Enrolment Form. The Australian Electoral Commission will send a form to the Division Office. It is up to the discretion of the Division Officer whether or not your enrolment can be listed silently, but if you are in danger, the application will usually be accepted. If you don't know which Division you belong to, or are changing to, ring the Australian Electoral Commission on (03) 9285 7171."

Old Nov 24th 2004, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

They don't seem to be on it, perhapsthere not citizens.