Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to find my TFN (Tax file Number)...

How to find my TFN (Tax file Number)...

Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of
Question How to find my TFN (Tax file Number)...

Hi there!

Back on 2000, I have worked in Melbourne for 4 years (not at a go cause I traveled a lot to Europe on OZ company assignments)

So obviously I had a TFN. And this TFN has vanished from the face of earth! Unfortunately, I had lost (yes! bah, thank GOD had nothing super important in it) a box full of paperwork and stuff during shipping when I moved back to Europe and with it gone all the TFN stuff.

I have also contacted the company I used to work with and to my surpirse they have no record of it!! Darn

Well, I'm moving back to OZ (Oh yeah finally!! Miss ye baby!) and need my TFN back

Anyway, so on the ATO web site I have read that you get only ONE tax file number....and I found this link to retrieve it!! Well and good!

So two things please!

1. Just to be prepared, what would be the "we will ask you for details only you or your authorised representative would know."

2. I guess phone 13 28 61 is a freephone available only in OZ right? Is there a way around this and how I can call them?

How to find your TFN

How to find your TFN

Your TFN is yours for life, even if you change jobs, move interstate or change your name. If you leave the country and come back to Australia, you still use the same TFN.

Your TFN is a nine-digit number, usually expressed in three lots of three digits like this: XXX XXX XXX.

You can find your TFN on:
your income tax notice of assessment
any correspondence we have sent you
a payment summary – for example, from your employer.

If you have a tax agent, you can ask them for your TFN. If you still can’t find your TFN, you can contact us. We will need to know that we are talking to the correct person before we can discuss your tax affairs, so we will ask you for details only you or your authorised representative would know.

To contact us:
phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday
visit your nearest ATO shopfront (phone 13 28 61 to make an appointment)

Thanks!!!

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Aug 26th 2010 at 11:23 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:18 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find my TFN (Tax file Number)...

I believe you can call 13 xx xx numbers from abroad/Skype but I just walked into the Sydney CBD storefront and did it in person (I happened to be walking by and it was quiet).

I don't think the "secret information" was very difficult - old addresses or whatever.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I believe you can call 13 xx xx numbers from abroad/Skype but I just walked into the Sydney CBD storefront and did it in person (I happened to be walking by and it was quiet).

I don't think the "secret information" was very difficult - old addresses or whatever.
Excellent! Thanks! I have Skype so I'll give them a call and see how it goes. I have the VicRoads licence...guess it should be enough then

Thanks mate!

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:57 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Excellent! Thanks! I have Skype so I'll give them a call and see how it goes. I have the VicRoads licence...guess it should be enough then

Thanks mate!

Cheers
B!K3R
If that number doesn't work, they also had this number listed in the 'Contact Us' section

Calling from overseas - +61 2 6216 1111

I'd guess that was a general number and they'd have to put you through to the right department.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

13 (and 1300) numbers are lo-call (charged at local call rate)

1800 numbers are freephone (FYI)
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I bought a Skype OZ online number and managed to call using the
13 28 61.

Found a very nice lady on the other side of the phone and managed to get the TFN with no problems at all.

Another step forward towards OZ done

Cheers
B!K3R