Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to find a job on the Sunshine Coast?

How to find a job on the Sunshine Coast?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:12 am
"Not the Kingswood!"

bobajob is on a distinguished road
Default How to find a job on the Sunshine Coast?

Hi Everyone

We're moving to the Sunshine Coast at the end of June, so I thought I'd start looking around for a job. I'm actually Australian, and an accountant (supposedly on the demand list) but can't find anything. Well, unless I wanted to be a public practice tax return guru, which isn't my preference (and I haven't done Aussie tax since 1999!!) I have been doing management accounting (Finance Manager stuff) since then.

I have been looking on the usual places - seek, careerone and mycareer, but everything is just tax, tax, tax - or the very least, business services.

I'd really like to hear how anyone on the Sunshine Coast found a job - even if not as an accountant? I have spoken to one recruitment agent, who also tried to sell me a tax/business services job - which of course I will take if it gets to that, but would prefer not to.

I'm guessing it's going to be a hit-the-pavement thing when we land, or wait for jobs to appear in the paper, but would prefer to work as soon as we get there ??

Any ideas out there ?

Kat
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How to find a job on the Sunshine Coast?

Try the Saturday edition of the Sunshine Coast Daily - online jobs site is worksearch.com.au.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brizbound
Try the Saturday edition of the Sunshine Coast Daily - online jobs site is worksearch.com.au.

Try

www.seek.com.au

www.mycareer.com.au

www.newstaff.com.au (they have a couple on their at the moment)

www.mysunshinecoast.com.au

Hope this helps

C
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:20 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Hitting the pavement worked for us but I did get through to a second round interview via Seek but ended up taking another job.

I have found the The Sunshine Coast to be very much about local business and local people so I agree the Sunshine Coast Daily's your best paper to get.

Both my partner and I walked in off the street to places. He left CV's with lots of companies. The company he works for now had nothing at the time but obviously kept his CV on file and did call him around 6 months down the track.

Whilst you'll be wanting to do what you can from that end, it'll all be a lot easier when you're here.

Best of luck
Sunshine Sarah
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:31 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobajob
Hi Everyone

We're moving to the Sunshine Coast at the end of June, so I thought I'd start looking around for a job. I'm actually Australian, and an accountant (supposedly on the demand list) but can't find anything. Well, unless I wanted to be a public practice tax return guru, which isn't my preference (and I haven't done Aussie tax since 1999!!) I have been doing management accounting (Finance Manager stuff) since then.

I have been looking on the usual places - seek, careerone and mycareer, but everything is just tax, tax, tax - or the very least, business services.

I'd really like to hear how anyone on the Sunshine Coast found a job - even if not as an accountant? I have spoken to one recruitment agent, who also tried to sell me a tax/business services job - which of course I will take if it gets to that, but would prefer not to.

I'm guessing it's going to be a hit-the-pavement thing when we land, or wait for jobs to appear in the paper, but would prefer to work as soon as we get there ??

Any ideas out there ?

Kat
agree with all of the above advice and sites bobajob, but can also add you should not have a problem getting accounting work from what i've seen and agree with sunshinesarah you need to get some contacts going with local companies and agencies - you can do a search for accountancy firms using this:
http://www.mysunshinecoast.com.au/

good luck mate
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:21 pm
"Not the Kingswood!"

bobajob is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. Good advice. I have signed up with East Coast Recruitment for now, as I figure I may as well put 1 iron in the fire. But I can't say I was too impressed with the smarmy sounding guy at the other end of the phone! I much prefer to present myself in person, and in a good suit so perhaps it will be just the area for me.

Bob says that perhaps I can now stop chewing his ear off every night about not finding a job....

Kat
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:06 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Check about the 'what to wear for interview' etiquette for your field of work. We were told we'd be laughed at if we turned up for an interview all suited and booted as you would in the UK.

For blokes, very often a pair of nice trousers (even chino types) and shirt (no tie) is acceptable. I wore smart trousers and shirt for mine and I still felt overdressed. It's Queensland!!!

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: How to find a job on the Sunshine Coast?

Don't turn your nose up, but MISSION Australia have a 5 star reputation as a job seeker organisation on the Sunshine Coast. If you have a hard time getting work, which may be the case seeing as the Sunshine Coast has high unemployment rates, try them!