Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to find employer sponsor? Any suggestions?

How to find employer sponsor? Any suggestions?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to find employer sponsor? Any suggestions?

Hi,

Been looking to immigrate to Oz for a few years now.
Hubby doesn't pass due to age (now 49).
He works as maintenance electrician with the experience of over 20 years.
The migration agent has advised to look for employer who'd be willing to sponsor him - in that case the age limit is likely to be waived.

We've sent his CV to one recruitment agency, but they replied straight away that they only work with residents...

Can anybody help... Getting desperate!

Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:25 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Re: How to find employer sponsor? Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by alionaear
Hi,

Been looking to immigrate to Oz for a few years now.
Hubby doesn't pass due to age (now 49).
He works as maintenance electrician with the experience of over 20 years.
The migration agent has advised to look for employer who'd be willing to sponsor him - in that case the age limit is likely to be waived.

We've sent his CV to one recruitment agency, but they replied straight away that they only work with residents...

Can anybody help... Getting desperate!

Thanks
Forget recruitment agencies. I remember going down that path a few years ago. They are not interested unless you are a resident, probably because they are commission based, and want to fill the positions quickly.

Also he needs to be licenced to work as an electrician, so he will need to have his skills recognised first by TRA. To get an ARTC certificate he also needs to have the right to live and work in Australia (ie a visa).

I would ask a migration agent about all this, but one thing I will say is that a while back, I looked at getting sponsored, but there are too many drawbacks, and most employers have started to become unwilling to do so when they find out whats involved. We ended up doing a skilled independent visa in the end, but didn't have the age issue against us. The licencing was just too difficult without being perm residents.

Whatever you decide Good Luck
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to find employer sponsor? Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by iceman
Forget recruitment agencies. I remember going down that path a few years ago. They are not interested unless you are a resident, probably because they are commission based, and want to fill the positions quickly.

Also he needs to be licenced to work as an electrician, so he will need to have his skills recognised first by TRA. To get an ARTC certificate he also needs to have the right to live and work in Australia (ie a visa).

I would ask a migration agent about all this, but one thing I will say is that a while back, I looked at getting sponsored, but there are too many drawbacks, and most employers have started to become unwilling to do so when they find out whats involved. We ended up doing a skilled independent visa in the end, but didn't have the age issue against us. The licencing was just too difficult without being perm residents.

Whatever you decide Good Luck
Thank you for your help.