Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Wikiposts

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Keeping to the speed limit:

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
A cow sees an extra tasty morsel of grass on the other side of the road and as she dawdles across to get it, you round the bend at 150 km/hr; straight in under, the cow rams through your wind screen, removes your head peals back the roof.
Ahhh, but you missed my bit about the road being straight! If you are going too fast to stop when something appears from around the bend then that is inappropriate use of speed.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
OK, so let me get this right, you can stop in the same distance doing 90 as 70, and you are no more likely to have a blow out or mechanical failure doing 90 than 70. I defy anyone to produce evidence to suggest that 90 is as safe as 70 (not 90 on a deserted motorway compared to 70 on a packed motorway).

Let me guess as well - it is the inappropriate use of weapons, not the weapons themselves that causes accidents and deaths?

So all we have to do is legislate for inappropriate use of speed? So, what a camera or a radar gun which distinguishes between inappropriate and appropriate use of speed, a safer car from an unsafe car, new tyres from old tyres, a driver with good reactions from one with bad reactions etc? We have devices already to detect those with alcohol levels over a certain level from those without - but perhaps you would point out that a 'prop forward' with 5 pints is safer than an old lady with 2 pints. 'Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot'.

This is just to stir up the debate you all understand. My point is that we need speed limits, they need to be enforced, and they can't be variable for different circumstances (except all those 50 mph on the motorways for 'bloody' roadworks). The reduction of the speed limit on many of Melbourne's streets has reduced the number of pedestrians killed (cos' you see it is more dangerous to be hit at 60 k's than 50 k's)

Oh and if the maximum speed limit is 70 mph in the UK, 110 k's in Australia (most of Victoria anyway) how do we balance speed detection with the authorities allowing vehicles capable of doing more than twice, sometimes thrice the speed limit on the road? I think it might have something to do with the fact they guzzle more fuel and the licence fees, car tax etc is higher so the government gets more money; there's probably some freedom of choice somewhere in there as well.

OzTennis
Hmmmm - some good points. BUT....

"OK, so let me get this right, you can stop in the same distance doing 90 as 70" Nope, but if you can see far enough to stop when doing 90 and there's no risk of a "stray cow" then it matters not.

"it is the inappropriate use of weapons, not the weapons themselves that causes accidents and deaths? " Absolutely! A knife tucked into its sheath is not dangerous and is great when used for that spur of the moment wood carving!

"So all we have to do is legislate for inappropriate use of speed?" Granted - this cant be done, but police already use common sense to some degree (most will only warn you for doing 80 on a motorway if the conditions are OK).

The thing is, no speed except 0 is a safe speed! Youre doing 15 mph and a kid runs out from between a car just as you are 1 inch from the gap and you are still gonna hit the kid!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mh929
Hmmmm - some good points. BUT....

"OK, so let me get this right, you can stop in the same distance doing 90 as 70" Nope, but if you can see far enough to stop when doing 90 and there's no risk of a "stray cow" then it matters not.

What about the load dropped from a lorry that you don't see in the dark on your empty, straight motorway at night until ...... geez this is taking me a few hundred yards to stop at this speed? And another thing, almost 50% of people who drive have less than legal standard eyesight (in the papers last week). 90 mph, defective eyesight, scary stuff. Ah, but we will only let those with good eyesight travel at this speed you'll probably say. When was the last time any of us drivers was asked to pass an eyesight test? Nobody since they last past their test I guarantee.

"it is the inappropriate use of weapons, not the weapons themselves that causes accidents and deaths? " Absolutely! A knife tucked into its sheath is not dangerous and is great when used for that spur of the moment wood carving!

Yeah, let's have the US system. Let anyone buy a weapon - it's their constitutional right. It's not the weapons and their proliferation it's how they're used.

"So all we have to do is legislate for inappropriate use of speed?" Granted - this cant be done, but police already use common sense to some degree (most will only warn you for doing 80 on a motorway if the conditions are OK).

The thing is, no speed except 0 is a safe speed! Youre doing 15 mph and a kid runs out from between a car just as you are 1 inch from the gap and you are still gonna hit the kid!

Agreed, zero deaths is not possible, but FEWER deaths with less speed is.
You didn't come back on the increased likelihood of tyre or vehicle failure at 90 mph.

OzTennis
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Megs

That manfromsnowyriverbushfestival is giving you some great material.

OzTennis
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
You didn't come back on the increased likelihood of tyre or vehicle failure at 90 mph.

OzTennis
No I didnt, did I. Tyres are rated to a certain speed. I think if you stay within that speed then theres no more risk of a blow-out. My bike has Z rated tyres which is around 190mph (from memory).

I suppose certain things are more prone to failure at high speed (if you go over a brick at 100mph you are more likely to sustain damage than at 20mph, but that doesn't mean we all drive at 20mph on motorways does it
We all accept a degree of risk, to ourselves as well as to others. Human nature. Sometimes I speed, sometimes I dont. Depends on the situation.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Particularly annoying if you're a pony express rider stuck behind!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about when you are on the motorway doing 70mph and you come across someone doing 45mph?

BTW I dont speed at all in Australia, the cops are too hot for it, in my mind that is a good thing. I rarely speed here in the UK either but you might catch me doing 33.5 in a 30 limit (in Aus I will do 98 in a 100 area).

Phil.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:45 am
WBB

Originally posted by CHnJ
Particularly annoying if you're a pony express rider stuck behind!
pmsl

Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:11 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

*stands up and announces to the group*. hi my name is leigh, and I have broken the speed limit in my past.

Just a question to everyone, speeders and non speeders alike. If you're driving down a motorway, what speed do you feel the safest at?

Thank you

*sits down again*
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scutterUK
*stands up and announces to the group*. hi my name is leigh, and I have broken the speed limit in my past.

Just a question to everyone, speeders and non speeders alike. If you're driving down a motorway, what speed do you feel the safest at?

Thank you

*sits down again*
In a car I tend to drive at about 90 on an emptyish motorway. Something about the bike makes me want to go faster than that - a temptation which I am usually unable to resist
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Read the other day that speeding onit's own is responsible for 7% of all accidents.

Looks like I am leaving one nanny state to go to a bigger nanny state.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mh929

This warning you mention applies in UK, but NOT in OZ
From my experience the police in the UK apply more common sense to the situation, rather than sticking rigidly to the rules.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Badge

The man from the RTA seemed to think there is a chance that the fines register will show when I go to get my NSW license but I will take that risk - in the meantime I will write a letter and maybe have to pay the fine. Even the cops at the shop said I should be OK.

seems NSW is a tad more lenient than QLD - its a 3 month ban. what is the ban in the UK - I think it was a year + but I suppose that is for drink driving.

Badge

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:14 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by badgersmount
The man from the RTA seemed to think there is a chance that the fines register will show when I go to get my NSW license but I will take that risk - in the meantime I will write a letter and maybe have to pay the fine. Even the cops at the shop said I should be OK.

seems NSW is a tad more lenient than QLD - its a 3 month ban. what is the ban in the UK - I think it was a year + but I suppose that is for drink driving.

Badge
in the UK 56 days is the maximum ban you can have without being charged with dangerous driving, so i was told by my solicitor. Not sure what the maximum is after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.