Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Wikiposts

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I got stopped in Melbourne because my son was looking out the back window (he had his seat belt on). The cop was in an unmarked car and was the worst I have ever met - and I've met a few.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
They are raking in the revenue aren't they. This week Chris received a $150 fine for contravening a red traffic control signal by proceeding beyond. He has no recollection of doing it. It was on 9th Dec and bill got issued 6th Jan.

He's not sure that if he hadn't cleared through on amber because it can change so quick or whether he just went over the line. We have found the trouble is the person behind drives so close your just asking for an accident if you try to slam on your brakes when the amber light shows. Just hoping there are no other surprises. Yes he will also have 3 points deducted.

I probably pass 100 sets of lights on the way home and I know which ones have cameras and the timings of the lights. It is still more by luck that I have not been caught.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by annalooby
Really think the letters worth a go?? What do you put in it??
I think it depends on circumstances, and I cant recall now what I dictated for my wifes one. But it was something about having to concentrate on the road and not realising she was speeding, but after being caught twice she now promises to be much more careful in the future. Yes, that was it, now I remember.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jayr
I'm suprised you found enough space on the Bruce Highway to do 160kph.

So am I. We drive Bris/ Mool probably a dozen times a month, its more often than not you see speed cameras, plus school hols its bumpa to bumpa.

What is the fine in QLD for 50klm over the limit, well most of the way that would be 60 klm over the limit.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think it depends on circumstances, and I cant recall now what I dictated for my wifes one. But it was something about having to concentrate on the road and not realising she was speeding, but after being caught twice she now promises to be much more careful in the future. Yes, that was it, now I remember.
Just had a re-read of the bumf on the 'infringement notice" and it doesn't say anything about disputing the fine other than going to court - which obviously I dont wanna do. Seems you can either pay it or go to court - praps WA is different???
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

In Queensland going 40 klm over the speed limit is a $700.00 fine and 8 demerit points plus a suspened lic for 6 months.

Is that right!

Think I need a second opinion.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:49 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
In Queensland going 40 klm over the speed limit is a $700.00 fine and 8 demerit points plus a suspened lic for 6 months...
...and an overnight rogering in the holding cells.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
In Queensland going 40 klm over the speed limit is a $700.00 fine and 8 demerit points plus a suspened lic for 6 months.

Is that right!

Think I need a second opinion.
Looks like you are right.

This info from www.roadsafety.qld.gov.au
Current penalties for speeding are:

Less than 13 km/h over the speed limit: $A100 + 1 demerit point.
At least 13 km/h but not more than 20 km/h over the speed limit: $A150 + 3 demerit points.
More than 20 km/h but not more than 30 km/h over the speed limit: $A250 + 4 demerit points.
More than 30 km/h but not more than 40 km/h over the speed limit: $A350 + 6 demerit points.
More than 40km/h over the speed limit: $A700 + 8 demerit points and 6 month suspension.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

This info from www.roadsafety.qld.gov.au
Current penalties for speeding are:

Less than 13 km/h over the speed limit: $A100 + 1 demerit point.
At least 13 km/h but not more than 20 km/h over the speed limit: $A150 + 3 demerit points.
More than 20 km/h but not more than 30 km/h over the speed limit: $A250 + 4 demerit points.
More than 30 km/h but not more than 40 km/h over the speed limit: $A350 + 6 demerit points.
More than 40km/h over the speed limit: $A700 + 8 demerit points and 6 month suspension.
Jeez, they dont mess about do they? It was such a shock I thought I'd misunderstood it or somethng. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:11 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I just collected the mail and found my own late birthday present, 72 in a 60 zone and under the 13k, thats $100 and a 1 demerit point happy birthday Sean.
I was on the Bruce highway just past a limit sign driving someone elses new car as they had to return their hire car doh! do someone a favour and they dob ya in.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

Does any one know if you HAVE TO show your QLD licence if you got one and get pulled over? I mean I got a QLD licence mainly just because it was easy as an ID to open bank accounts etc., but still being a temp. resident I can still legally drive on my Dutch licence. If I'm being a bad boy on the road and get caught, can I just show my Dutch licence and get fined but not loose points, or do I have to show my QLD licence? Just wondering...
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Hans de Visser
Does any one know if you HAVE TO show your QLD licence if you got one and get pulled over? I mean I got a QLD licence mainly just because it was easy as an ID to open bank accounts etc., but still being a temp. resident I can still legally drive on my Dutch licence. If I'm being a bad boy on the road and get caught, can I just show my Dutch licence and get fined but not loose points, or do I have to show my QLD licence? Just wondering...
You can just show your Dutch licence, but.... if they check through the system, and cross check your name and address, they may find that you have an OZ licence. Not sure what sort of penalty they would throw at you for that ?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:59 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

woohoo, i will be expecting my court appearance imminently!!

so, if i can convince them it was a pommie mate of mine who has gone back to the uk that was driving, what happens then?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:43 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Hans de Visser

Not quite sure but I can tell you what they do , was driving on my Brit licence for 6 years (only recently I got my Qld one) - you pay the fine on the Brit one (in effect you do have points - but they can't touch your foreign/Brit/dutch etc one, ie put points onto your foreign licence). I have a clean QLD licence, although in effect I did accumulate points on my then non existent QLD licence(in no - mans land somewhere)

Hubby actually has gone over the points - he received a letter about two years ago (while on his Brit licence) telling him he could not apply for a QLD one for 6 months I seem to recall - in effect he was banned for driving on a QLd licence , but could not touch his Brit licence, all they could do is to say he could not apply for a QLD licence within this 6 months (I think it was 6 months, or it may have been a year)

cheers

P.S there's a lot of loop holes in the laws here..
The funniest one I've come across (not a loop hole .. but a cop) got stopped, had to produce my licence at the cop shop (it's in Welsh first, English second so it confuses them, it doesn't take a lot to confuse them) ... they looked at the classes of my licence and the cop (who incidentally was the sergeant of the station) said "oh you're licensed to drive everything" (thick as sh*te) - you know where on the old licences it's got a load of class A ,E (a lot of letters) etc etc . unlike the Australian licence which just says C etc -

Anyway , he just waved me off thinking I was classed to drive every vehicle known to mankind .. got a fine of course, but no points (brit licence) , and recently I have a QLD one with none of my speeding convictions put on to it

Cheers

PPS if you don't understand this .. don't worry neither does QLD transport (there are so many loop holes here , they don't know what their doing either )

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 7th 2004 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by brisnick
woohoo, i will be expecting my court appearance imminently!!

so, if i can convince them it was a pommie mate of mine who has gone back to the uk that was driving, what happens then?
Not a lot will happen, as long as you can give them full details, address in UK, where he was living in OZ, etc.

Not sure what happens if he comes back over here though ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.