Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Wikiposts

How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:02 am
Badge

Default How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

bugger

Got caught doing 72 in a 50 down a quiet, wide back road a k long by the cops. So not only do I drink New, wear thongs, drive a ute but I am also offically a hoon now as well ;-)

I played all my cards - best Pommy accent, "just got off the boat", "new wide eyed migrant" etc and they were nice with the fine, they also said that as everyone is entitled to a caution the first time I should get off if I write a nice letter....I used my English license on the fine, as my WA truck license expired a few months ago..

brings a new meaning to the phrase - they saw me coming a mile (k) away..

and I was in such a good mood as well!!

I went to the RTA 32 k away to transfer the rego as it needed doing but they couldn't give me a NSW license as I don't have proof of address so I had to get my mate to endorse it - which means a 64k round trip - strolled in to the library and bumped in to someone that met me 2 years ago so she signed!! how good is that?

The police say I need a NSW license quick as if they process the ticket and I then get a license I'll start with 10 points not 12 and I'll never get the full 12 even after 2 years....sob...or are they bluffing?

Badge

Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

From www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Not more than 15 km/h 2points $127

More than 15 km/h but not more than 30 km/h 3points $203

More than 30 km/h but not more than 45 km/h 4 points $565

More than 45 km/h 6 points $1,559

An automatic one-month licence suspension or minimum disqualification period applies for any driver caught travelling more than 130km/h. This will apply in any case not covered by suspensions or disqualifications listed above. In addition, a traffic infringement notice fine of $203 ($306 for drivers of vehicles greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM) and 3 demerit points apply to this offence
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How fast are you going? You're doing 203...

Originally posted by badgersmount
bugger

Got caught doing 72 in a 50 down a quiet, wide back road a k long by the cops. So not only do I drink New, wear thongs, drive a ute but I am also offically a hoon now as well ;-)

I played all my cards - best Pommy accent, "just got off the boat", "new wide eyed migrant" etc and they were nice with the fine, they also said that as everyone is entitled to a caution the first time I should get off if I write a nice letter

Badge

Write a nice letter and get off !!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Haaaaaaaaaaa I'm still laughing at that one Badge

that'll be a good investment of time and a stamp ( I think not )

"Tell'm his dreaming"

Bluff about the points being able to only get ten though I think.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:09 pm
Badge

Originally posted by aussie bloke
Write a nice letter and get off !!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Haaaaaaaaaaa I'm still laughing at that one Badge

that'll be a good investment of time and a stamp ( I think not )

Thanks - but everyone I have asked about this letter business tells me they reckon it is OK and the norm to do - and several have cited worse cases with less mitigating circumstances and got off - so I still have some hope...(!)

Badge

Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks - but everyone I have asked about this letter business tells me they reckon it is OK and the norm to do - and several have cited worse cases with less mitigating circumstances and got off - so I still have some hope...(!)

Badge
Its hard to adjust to the speeds here, they are much slower and really enforced. Watch this too, one of our Pom mates arrived and a week later parked the car the wrong way in the street, like you can in the UK but not here. She did all the letter business, all they said was if you dont like the fine, then appeal through the court process, which I assume would cost something?

Anyway drive slowly always, they will book you for 3klm over. Theres a case here now where the guy was driving down the nicklin way, big traffic jam area but not at night! He was going about 70 over the 80 speed limit, extreme I know but hes being charged with endangering lives, given that he must have been going the same speed most of us would do on a Pommie motorway it does make you think more carefully.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:32 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have slowed down a lot here.

I was doing 60 on a 50 yesterday and found I was looking at a speed gun. I slowed down but if they wanted to they could have pulled me over. I have have been spotted doing 10 over plenty of times but there are plenty of other idiots doing way more than that and so NSW police go for them.

I guess it is a matter of when because I never realise I am doing 10 over.

I too think the latter business is a waste of time. Show them your UK license and pay the fine. I don't think the points will transfer to your victorian license when you move there.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:37 pm
Badge

Originally posted by bondipom
I have slowed down a lot here.

I was doing 60 on a 50 yesterday and found I was looking at a speed gun. I slowed down but if they wanted to they could have pulled me over. I have have been spotted doing 10 over plenty of times but there are plenty of other idiots doing way more than that and so NSW police go for them.

I guess it is a matter of when because I never realise I am doing 10 over.

I too think the latter business is a waste of time. Show them your UK license and pay the fine. I don't think the points will transfer to your victorian license when you move there.
thanks...

its true, its hard driving at 50 as in a diesel you are always somewhere between 3rd and 4th if you know what I mean - 3rd is not economical but it is easier to cruise at 50....

BM

Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Badge
Write the Letter !!!

It does work. My wife got two speeding tickets on consecutive days, at the same camera !!

She asked me to write a letter, I thought "whats the point", but she kept asking, so I did, and guess what; They let her off on the first one !!

So yes, Write the Letter !

Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Spooky - I was in really good mood this morning as well and I got stopped doing 81 in a 60 - well, just past the 60 sign as I was slowing down from a 90 zone. They're buggers in WA for sitting right behind bushes just behind the signs for a lower limit - especially ones at the bottom of hills. But then out here in the country they dont have much to do so I guess it raises revenue.

I told the cop I was slowing down and he said he clocked me doing 81 but he would put me down for 79 so that I only got a $100 fine rather than $150 - which was kinda nice of him I spose. I got 1 demerit point as well. Anyone know how long the demerit points stay on your licence??

I didn't bother doing the pommie excuses or even the blonde routine - praps I should have done. Bit pissed tho cos it's the first time I have been stopped - you'd think they'd give you at least one warning - I know I got off several times in the UK with a 'just dont do it again luv'.

Really think the letters worth a go?? What do you put in it??
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:57 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i guess i was lucky then. i drove up to mooloolaba the other weekend at 160kph for most of the way.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I got done for parking on the grass and "thereby endangering the sewers." A whole line of us woke up to find that ticket *sigh*
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:02 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

They are raking in the revenue aren't they. This week Chris received a $150 fine for contravening a red traffic control signal by proceeding beyond. He has no recollection of doing it. It was on 9th Dec and bill got issued 6th Jan.

He's not sure that if he hadn't cleared through on amber because it can change so quick or whether he just went over the line. We have found the trouble is the person behind drives so close your just asking for an accident if you try to slam on your brakes when the amber light shows. Just hoping there are no other surprises. Yes he will also have 3 points deducted.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:05 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brisnick
i guess i was lucky then. i drove up to mooloolaba the other weekend at 160kph for most of the way.

I'm suprised you found enough space on the Bruce Highway to do 160kph. I'd love to be able to drive at 90mph again instead of the top speed of 69mph (110kph).
Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by CHnJ
I got done for parking on the grass and "thereby endangering the sewers." A whole line of us woke up to find that ticket *sigh*
Endagering the sewers??? I mean come on - isn't there enough real crime going on? Surely the Police must have something better to do than sit around eating donuts and waiting for someone to park in the wrong place. What exactly are they raising revenue for? - surely they dont need more police if this is the case.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 1:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Jirrupin
They are raking in the revenue aren't they. This week Chris received a $150 fine for contravening a red traffic control signal by proceeding beyond. He has no recollection of doing it. It was on 9th Dec and bill got issued 6th Jan.

He's not sure that if he hadn't cleared through on amber because it can change so quick or whether he just went over the line. We have found the trouble is the person behind drives so close your just asking for an accident if you try to slam on your brakes when the amber light shows. Just hoping there are no other surprises. Yes he will also have 3 points deducted.

Write a letter, tell them that "the person behind was so close it was too dangerous to stop, and you could see it was totally clear in front"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.