Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how far does ~$65k get you in Queensland?

how far does ~$65k get you in Queensland?

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:09 am
Just Joined

abh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how far does ~$65k get you in Queensland?

Hello all,

I know it depends on my lifestyle etc etc, buuuut how far do you guys think ~$65k gets you nowadays? Just in terms of a comfortable lifestyle, doing as I please and travelling for long weekends etc. I initially converted it to about £42k and got really excited but all I read of is the high cost of... everything(!) and now I've calmed down a bit (still, not bad for a first graduate job methinks ).

I'd be out in Gladstone, Queensland, with no dependants and a $27k LAFHA. I'm hoping to get a 2 bed flat on the allowance as apparently my family will be visiting as much as possible. Will that be ok to claim against lafha for a singleton?

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how far does ~$65k get you in Queensland?

Firstly DO NOT convert at the current $1.50 to the £ as it is meaningless. Just under $60k is apparently the average wage but most earn less so $65k isn't bad, it might not allow you to do as you please and travel for long weekends but it does depend on your overall lifestyle.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
Just Joined

haha, yeah, whilst lurking that was one of the main tips I've seen flying about. I'm hoping it might go a little further out there rather in Melbourne or Perth, which many of the posts I see are about.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by abh3
Hello all,

I know it depends on my lifestyle etc etc, buuuut how far do you guys think ~$65k gets you nowadays? Just in terms of a comfortable lifestyle, doing as I please and travelling for long weekends etc. I initially converted it to about £42k and got really excited but all I read of is the high cost of... everything(!) and now I've calmed down a bit (still, not bad for a first graduate job methinks ).

I'd be out in Gladstone, Queensland, with no dependants and a $27k LAFHA. I'm hoping to get a 2 bed flat on the allowance as apparently my family will be visiting as much as possible. Will that be ok to claim against lafha for a singleton?

Cheers
I assume the $65K package includes the LAFHA allowance or is it a $65K package plus LAFHA ?

You are right that you will spend long weeks travelling to get to anywhere as it is a long way from many places / major air ports etc.

As it is a remote location costs will be high, probably higher than Mel or Syd. The only thing that might be cheaper is housing but with flip side there will be more limited choice.

The up side nice weather and a quiet lifestyle.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The average earnings in Australia is more like late $60s.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6302.0

I think the figure you quoted is perfectly acceptable salary for a young graduate.

Is your LAFHA on top of the $65k? If not, then I don't think you would be able to get this much LAFHA as it would take the remaining "salary" below the minimum level for the 457 visa (which I assume you are going on).
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but I was referring to what the average person actually earns.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Hello all,

Cheers
Get a one bedroom flat, Visiting Gladstone as much as posssile is a contradiction in terms.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

"Visiting Gladstone as much as posssile is a contradiction in terms."

Haha, I would think so too, but apparently motherly love is just that strong.

"Is your LAFHA on top of the $65k? If not, then I don't think you would be able to get this much LAFHA as it would take the remaining "salary" below the minimum level for the 457 visa (which I assume you are going on)."

Yeah, I'm on the 457 but the LAFHA is included in the 65k. I don't think this takes it below the threshold, purely because I'm a few weeks into the process and it has never been flagged up and I will be working with a multi-national company so I expect they'd be on top of that.

I'm not too fussy about accommodation but I have seen 2 bedrooms for about ~$325 a week so I think I'll try for that.

I've been told I will quickly recalibrate myself to getting out of work on Friday and driving the 5 hours of Brisbane to see some actual nightlife. Should be interesting!

And cheers for the link, Bermudashorts. LAFHA is a big boost, saving me $9kish (if I've been using the right tax-data sources!) so yeah, I should be fine. Will be a step up from student living anyway!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm on the 457 but the LAFHA is included in the 65k. I don't think this takes it below the threshold, purely because I'm a few weeks into the process and it has never been flagged up and I will be working with a multi-national company so I expect they'd be on top of that.

I am afraid that it does bring you below the threshhold, the LAFHA minimum is ~$49k so the maximum LAFHA you can received is $16k as you are on $65 total. Your company might not be on top of this, multnational or not, I would recommend you flag it to them.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am afraid that it does bring you below the threshhold, the LAFHA minimum is ~$49k so the maximum LAFHA you can received is $16k as you are on $65 total. Your company might not be on top of this, multnational or not, I would recommend you flag it to them.
That is actually not quite right. The LAFHA part of a package is now considered as part of youre income when it comes to the TSMIT (Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold). All the minimum income threshold is, is to make sure an employee is paying you the minimum of what the market level is for that occupation.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alienfeet
That is actually not quite right. The LAFHA part of a package is now considered as part of youre income when it comes to the TSMIT (Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold). All the minimum income threshold is, is to make sure an employee is paying you the minimum of what the market level is for that occupation.
Well that is not how it has been explained on here many many times. Is that a new thing? LAFHA is not part of "salary" it is an allowance.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Alienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant futureAlienfeet has a brilliant future

Market salary rates should be calculated on gross guaranteed earnings and Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) can be included as part of the market salary rate as it is part of guaranteed earnings.

So I believe...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

"Is your LAFHA on top of the $65k? If not, then I don't think you would be able to get this much LAFHA as it would take the remaining "salary" below the minimum level for the 457 visa (which I assume you are going on)."

I'm not too fussy about accommodation but I have seen 2 bedrooms for about ~$325 a week so I think I'll try for that.

I've been told I will quickly recalibrate myself to getting out of work on Friday and driving the 5 hours of Brisbane to see some actual nightlife. Should be interesting!

And cheers for the link, Bermudashorts. LAFHA is a big boost, saving me $9kish (if I've been using the right tax-data sources!) so yeah, I should be fine. Will be a step up from student living anyway!
You're not give a 'lump sum' tax free, it all depends on your outgoings. The amount you can claim for food is fixed by the Gov. How much allowance you get is based primarily on your accomodation costs.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

You have been told some nonsense. There is no possibility of driving from Gladstone to Brisbane in 5 hours, never mind a Friday. Its more like 7 hours on a good day, which Friday is not.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:20 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

That means your base salary is $38kpa which is completely crap.

Start renegotiating or turn the job down. Even as a new graduate they are seriously taking the piss with you.

Have a look at the hays salary guide for an indication of what they should be paying as your base salary.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Jul 24th 2011 at 11:29 am. Reason: adding the link to the hays guide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.