British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How far do you travel for work ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-far-do-you-travel-work-485602/)

olauf Oct 6th 2007 2:13 am

How far do you travel for work ???

Hi there

My hubby is about to accept a job which is on the other side of the city Perth NOR - Wangara.
This would take him around an hour and fifteen minutes each way every day travelling by car as he will be provided with a fully maintained car.

Not that he likes traveling that much but more of a package which sounds interesting. Does any one travel that far?

I personally reckon that this is too far and don’t know if I should encourage him or not to take the job. I work in Mandurah and we live there.

Karen.

northernbird Oct 6th 2007 2:19 am

Re: How far do you travel for work ???

Originally Posted by olauf (Post 5391960)
Hi there

My hubby is about to accept a job which is on the other side of the city Perth NOR - Wangara.
This would take him around an hour and fifteen minutes each way every day travelling by car as he will be provided with a fully maintained car.

Not that he likes traveling that much but more of a package which sounds interesting. Does any one travel that far?

I personally reckon that this is too far and don’t know if I should encourage him or not to take the job. I work in Mandurah and we live there.

Karen.

Mandurah to Wangara is going to take a lot longer than that I think, it is nigh on 100km and depending on what time you travel it could take at least an hour to get to Perth from Mandurah and then another half hour up the Mitchell to Wangara. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Siren & Brian Oct 6th 2007 2:20 am

Hi there

Karen.

:thumbdown: I reckon its too far to travel every day but as you live in Mandurah unless he gets a job in Mandurah he will be commuting an hour each way anyway

esperanza Oct 6th 2007 5:12 am

If it's a great job opportunity then couldn't he take it and you could consider moving to a midway point where you would travel 25 min and he would do the hour?
I think over an hour is too far to commute twice everyday. You'd never see each other! That's forty hours a month sat in a car... not much fun. :unsure:

olauf Oct 6th 2007 5:45 am

That''s right the best thing wud be is for us to find a new house mid way when our current 6 months lease expries next Jan...

But also hubby will be so disappointed if he does not take the job in wangara as he has been doing some ''small jobs'' ever since we moved to Oz almost four months now.

i'm sure he will not say anythng to me if i persuade him not to take the job but i'll also feel guilty if he turn down the offer just because of me. But i know he is ready to travel that far everyday.... the question being will he really be able to do it and for how long ????

/

Gibbo Oct 6th 2007 6:10 am

Originally Posted by olauf (Post 5392299)
That''s right the best thing wud be is for us to find a new house mid way when our current 6 months lease expries next Jan...

But also hubby will be so disappointed if he does not take the job in wangara as he has been doing some ''small jobs'' ever since we moved to Oz almost four months now.

i'm sure he will not say anythng to me if i persuade him not to take the job but i'll also feel guilty if he turn down the offer just because of me. But i know he is ready to travel that far everyday.... the question being will he really be able to do it and for how long ????

/

Given that you live in Australia, 100k isn't a long distance. Ofcourse, it is desirable to travel less, but if the job is worth it, he should take it and you can always move closer in the future.

NewOZ Oct 6th 2007 6:39 am

Hi there

Karen.

If there is no traffic that should be ok, but if 1:15 + traffic delay then you better move

sometimes in Melbourne it takes more than an hour to reach my work in the CBD because of the traffic, i live 20KM away

esperanza Oct 6th 2007 7:32 am

Any chance he could do a testdrive one day, in commuter traffic, and see what the journey might actually be like?
Some people don't mind driving, it can actually be a good time to unwind from the day & transition between home and work.

jensteve Oct 6th 2007 9:19 am

Personally wouldn't do it, have done the travelling bit from up North to Booragoon, it took me 2 hours getting there one day, the freeway is a nightmare!!!!
I then went to doing 50k to work at Midland, not too bad, no freeway just clear roads, petrol bills a bit high. Am working round the corner at the mo which is great, however I am moving to Chittering so back to 50k to work again, not so bad down Neaves road though
Distances here arn't really that bad as long as the roads are good.
Jenny

charb Oct 6th 2007 9:25 am

Takes me 40 minutes on a good run, on a 'normal' run - an hour! Same for my OH. Seems to be pretty much the norm here, travelling that sort of time to work. I think back to when we were in England, if I drove for an hour, I'd have been in London - there is NO was I would have ever even considered a job that far over there!

Amazulu Oct 6th 2007 10:28 am

Kalamunda to the CBD - 28kms and under 30mins in the morning. 35-45 going home. No problem.

rockpeblar Oct 6th 2007 11:26 am

When we first moved here I commuted from Golden Bay (north of Mandurah) to Redcliffe every morning and it was a pain. Took over an hour each way. The traffic on the Kwinana normally built up around Beeliar Drive and was stop start most of the way into the city. Have a listen to the travel reports on the radio on any weekday morning to get a better understanding of what it will be like. We moved up to Lesmurdie a month ago and now its only 20 minutes to work:thumbsup:

ACE Oct 6th 2007 2:15 pm

We live in South Mandurah (Port Bouvard) near the Cut and my hubby works in the Kwinana industrial area (oil refinery). The roads are always pretty clear so it takes him 50 minutes each way but he only has to work 4 days in 10 so doesn't mind the commute. I work just north of central Mandurah and it takes me 20 minutes to get to work. I would say that travelling the sort of distance your talking about would be too much 5 days a week. Your husband could take the job, see how he gets on and then consider moving or changing jobs if it turns out to be too much.

ACE

olauf Oct 7th 2007 12:47 am

In fact i asked hubby to give it a try to see how it works for a week.. If the distance and the job itself suits him we will then consider if i should quit my job or not by end of this year or early next year as this will coincide with the expiry of our lease agreement.

I am told somehow there are quite a lot of people especially in Sydney who commutes that much everyday or more than 120Km each way this being part of their daily routine...

'

nickyjohnt Oct 7th 2007 5:18 am

Originally Posted by olauf (Post 5395958)
In fact i asked hubby to give it a try to see how it works for a week.. If the distance and the job itself suits him we will then consider if i should quit my job or not by end of this year or early next year as this will coincide with the expiry of our lease agreement.

I am told somehow there are quite a lot of people especially in Sydney who commutes that much everyday or more than 120Km each way this being part of their daily routine...

'

I used to travel 90+ km each way from Ridgewood to Rockingham every day and it is a pain, You will hit the traffic on the Kwinana freeway every morning not so bad the Mitchell freeway heading North, but you return journey will probably be even worse. Used to take me up to 2 hours each way most days just through sheer volume of traffic and thats without and prangs or people slowing down to see someone changing a tyre :curse:. Personally i would not want to do the travelling again but if that pays the bills then it is a must.
Good luck with what you decide to do.

John