Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How easy will it be to make friends?

How easy will it be to make friends?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy will it be to make friends?

If you ever went away to college, then it's a bit like that. When you first arrive you make a lot of early friendships with people because you're in need of a bit of company. As time goes on, many of those people fall by the way-side and you start meeting people with whom you have something in common.

Bottom line is that you've got to put yourself out there or you'll be sitting at home watching Cash in the Attic on Austar with a carton of lukewarm noodles. I went to all sorts of functions that I'd never have attended in the UK if hell was freezing over. An example? Sure ... I went to a Quilt show! I was a club DJ in the UK and if you'd have taken me to one side a decade ago and told me that a few years on I'd be at a fundraiser showing home-made quilts I'd have probably passed out from laughing. But you know what, I met some great people, got pissed, went on to a late night pub, got even more pissed, put the world to rights, started on the shots of JD, talked bollocks and woke up with a monster hangover.

If you've got kids then they're a great way to make friends, whether at the school gate or soccer league or whatever. As others have said, you have to accept that most people have established lives and you shouldn't take it personally if it takes some time to get to know people properly. You'll also meet some complete arseholes along the way of course. We made a point of joining things - in particular I've made some great friendships through my membership of our local surf club. I don't live in an area that's crawling with British immigrants, so meet-ups were never going to happen - if anything I think that's helped me settle in the way I have.

Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

ShoppingJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wbbugs View Post
jojo

I will be in a similar situation soon and will be worried about my wife meeting and making friends.

We are both 30 and have children aged 7,4 and 1. As i will be working meeting friends wont be a problem but I am counting on my wife to go out and find some mums to have a cuppa with. We are also in the process of getting our 457 approved and will hopefully be over there around august.
I am sure my wife would love to meet people in a similar situation.

Just remember we will all be in the same boat.
wbbugs,

Why don't you or your wife pm me and we can keep in contact through this process? We are also in our 30's with two children of the same age. It would be good to see how quickly your 457 processes, as you will be going through the same stuff as us.

JoJo
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

dont turn down a barbie invite at any cost, take plenty of lash and all is good. i think..............
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tony s View Post
dont turn down a barbie invite at any cost, take plenty of lash and all is good. i think..............
Must be honest this worries me too, I'm 27 my wife is 24, we have 2 young kids a boy 2 nearly 3 and a 1 year old girl, I'm sure that I will meet friends going out working but my wife I think may find it more difficult.
We will be arriving in Secret Harbour in June by the way.