Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to make new friends....

How easy is it to make new friends....

Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future
Default How easy is it to make new friends....

Wife has asked me to load this.

The thing she seems to be worried about more then ANYTHING else is making new friends. She loves her family but is not that close.

She is fairly outgoing, has 2 very close friends and she has girly nights out and coffee mornings with her pals once every month/six weeks or so and says it keeps her sane! I'm sure all she does is moan about me

How friendly are the folks down there? Is it common for women to have nights out? She won't be able to work for a while due to childcare and thinks that staying at home 24/7 will drive her mad.

Bill

Last edited by BillBart1; Mar 18th 2005 at 10:04 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice
Default Re: How easy is it to make new friends....

Where will you be settling?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Best way to make friends in Australia - pretend you've got a boat, or even better, get a boat!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future

We're hoping to settle somewhere around Adelaide.

I'd LOVE to get boat but couldn't stretch to it Not sure I could convince missus we need a boat for her to make friends! lol

Gotta be worth a shot though...

Bill
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillBart1

The thing she seems to be worried about more then ANYTHING else is making new friends. She loves her family but is not that close.

She is fairly outgoing, has 2 very close friends and she has he girly nights out and coffee mornings will her pals once every month/six weeks or so and says it keeps her sane! I'm sure all she does is moan about me

How friendly are the folks down there? Is it common for women to have nights out? She won't be able to work for a while due to childcare and thinks that staying at home 24/7 will drive her mad.

Bill
Where abouts are you heading to ?
we live in south east brisbane and i have found everyone friendly really especially other expats, we have plenty of girls nights out and coffee mornings.
i to was worried about leaving my friends and and arriving in a place where i didnt know anyone at all and i must admit the first couple of months were hard and i did feel lonely at times but i soon met lots of new people through the kids daycare, at gym, at school, through expats and i have a great bunch of friends here now.
lucy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lucy,

She'll be glad to hear that

Bill
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Off2Oz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Lucy,

She'll be glad to hear that

Bill
Don't tell me I've got to join A GYM before I get to meet anyone?!?!?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Bill

try this link, if you haven't already!

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...Adelaidebrits/

I'm in Adelaide too!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

She is fairly outgoing, has 2 very close friends and she has girly nights out and coffee mornings with her pals once every month/six weeks or so and says it keeps her sane! I'm sure all she does is moan about me

Bill
Hi Bill were planning of going to Adelaide and were a member of the adbrits site. the members on there are really friendly and they often have coffee meets so im sure she will be fine. If she finds it easy to chat to others then she wont have any problems. Why not join the adbrits site that way you can start to make friends before you go.

Debs xxxx
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:41 pm
Merlot

Never had any problems in any country, the trick to get out and about, be it work, gym, Mum's groups, whatever. Also, keep an open mind and do apapt to local ways/cultures.

Like everywhere in the world (and this Forum), some you folks you will click with, others you won't.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:21 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Bill
As long as your'e not going to Perth you should have a chance of making new friends I'd think.

I found Adelaide ok and Brissy. People will actually chat to you in the pub in Adelaide!! Try "The Earl of Aberdeen" hotel. Used to get a good mixed crowd when I was there: 20's to 50's, live music Thurs to Sat Nite
"The Saracen" hotel in Carrington st ( 100yds or less from the Earl) was also good but a bit quieter.
"Crown&Sceptre (on King William st) a bit younger, backpacker style pub.

Things could have changed since I was there, but worth checking out

SAt or Sun cooked breakfasts al fresco are the trend thesedays. Very popular.

Adelaide is a lovely city. Am sure you will like it. Good Luck
Old Mar 19th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone,

'Er in doors is going to check out Adelaide Brits and I'm looking forward to checking out The Earl of Aberdeen, The Saracen hotel & the Crown & Sceptre!

I've passed on all your comments and although still not entirely convince, who is until you arrive, she seems more positve about it after reading your comments.

Thanks again everyone

Bill
Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:14 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,

'Er in doors is going to check out Adelaide Brits and I'm looking forward to checking out The Earl of Aberdeen, The Saracen hotel & the Crown & Sceptre!

I've passed on all your comments and although still not entirely convince, who is until you arrive, she seems more positve about it after reading your comments.

Thanks again everyone

Bill
You are very welcome. Just thought I would add that North Adelaide is a particularly nice place to live and has some good hotels also. The ones I mentioned before are in Adelaide city itself (walking distance away, but though I never had any problems being out late at night there, a taxi back late at night might be best plan).

The Torrens river is pretty and the zoo and botanical gardens are good.
Rundle mall is an okay shopping centre but opposite is Hindley st, which is sleazey and I personally think, better avoided. To be honest I felt Kings Cross in Sydney was less "edgey" than Hindley st!

Catch a tram to Glenelg beach, have a meal on "The Galleon" restaurant. Its an old ship. Adelaide is truly one of the nicer of the large cities in OZ you will find.