Reload this Page >

How easy is it to find schools?

How easy is it to find schools?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

In Essex is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How easy is it to find schools?

Hi

I have applied for a job in Queensland and am wondering if anyone one has any advice on how I get my kids into the school system there. We are looking at Rockhampton area but am sure that gaining access to schools will be the same anywhere.

My kids are 7 and 4, I know that there are school fee's to pay unlike in the UK and was hoping for some advice for good web sites and fee's.

Hope you can help

H
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

wemadeit is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: How easy is it to find schools?

we recentley moved to sydney from liverpool . . . oh my God was this an exspensive move ! it is the norm to send your kids to private schools here just a mere snip of 20,00 dollars a year . . . mmm yes well still hoping to win the lottery
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:59 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy is it to find schools?

Originally Posted by In Essex
Hi

I have applied for a job in Queensland and am wondering if anyone one has any advice on how I get my kids into the school system there. We are looking at Rockhampton area but am sure that gaining access to schools will be the same anywhere.

My kids are 7 and 4, I know that there are school fee's to pay unlike in the UK and was hoping for some advice for good web sites and fee's.

Hope you can help

H
Depending on your visa you may not have to pay school fees. we are going on a 136 to queensland and there are no fees at the local state schools. You do however pay for books and things like that.

Good Luck

Andreaxx
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Try this link:

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/directory/

Our kids are 15 and 13 so both in high school but basically there are 3 types of schools:
State schools
Private colleges and
Catholic colleges

Private colleges are the ones where you have to pay the high fees but have the best reputation.
Catholic colleges are "semi-private" which much lower fees and have the next best reputation.
State schools are at the bottom of the pile, are free although you have to pay for books etc, and tend to be a bit hit and miss - some good some bad but there are some good ones out there.

Unfortunately there are no league tables for schools published out here. Our two go to a state school and both like it and are getting on really well so good state schools do exist.

Best thing to do is to use the link, do a search on schools in the Rocky area, and see if you can get any feedback from anyone who has kids at school in the area.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by smiths
Try this link:

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/directory/

Our kids are 15 and 13 so both in high school but basically there are 3 types of schools:
State schools
Private colleges and
Catholic colleges

Private colleges are the ones where you have to pay the high fees but have the best reputation.
Catholic colleges are "semi-private" which much lower fees and have the next best reputation.
State schools are at the bottom of the pile, are free although you have to pay for books etc, and tend to be a bit hit and miss - some good some bad but there are some good ones out there.

Unfortunately there are no league tables for schools published out here. Our two go to a state school and both like it and are getting on really well so good state schools do exist.

Best thing to do is to use the link, do a search on schools in the Rocky area, and see if you can get any feedback from anyone who has kids at school in the area.
Perhaps there are three and a half categories?

The private system is also partly state funded depending upon numbers, when it was estabslihed etc. so ther are more affordable private schools in most areas.

Bezza
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: How easy is it to find schools?

Thanks all

I will take a look at the website and see what it has to offer, thanks Smiths.

I know its one of those things to get the balance right on cost (if you can afford it) and the rewards for the kids education.

Some sums to be done, I think.

H
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Thanks all

I will take a look at the website and see what it has to offer, thanks Smiths.

I know its one of those things to get the balance right on cost (if you can afford it) and the rewards for the kids education.

Some sums to be done, I think.

H
Hiya

Rocky has quite a number of private schools and state schools. Overall it is pretty easy to get your kids into school. When we moved here we were told that the area has no zoning so basically you can pick whatever school you like. However, in saying that there is one school I know of that is so popular that you do have to live within it boundaries. It's Frenchville State School.

http://www.frenchviss.qld.edu.au/

It was just a coincidence that this happened to be the nearest school to us. My little un was only there for about eight weeks (had to finish off primary because of the difference in years, they run from Jan to Dec here) so I couldn't really give you a full lowdown of the school but they were good to him for the short while he was there and they seemed to have a lot of things going on for the kids.

If you need to know anything else about Rocky you can PM me if you like. Good luck with the job app.

Mx
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

jodi666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hope you can help

H
Hi There,

I am also from Essex been on GC 5 months now, my kids are in a state school which means you just pay for books etc not bad at all, not sure about cost of private but didn't think they were as expensive as UK. Most of the schools have websites and the people I Emailed before I came out were very helpful. Mind you the school I decided on for my kids before I came out here I couldn't get them into as I didn't end up living in the catchment area. where abouts in Essex are you from? jodi
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jodi666
Hi There,

I am also from Essex been on GC 5 months now, my kids are in a state school which means you just pay for books etc not bad at all, not sure about cost of private but didn't think they were as expensive as UK. Most of the schools have websites and the people I Emailed before I came out were very helpful. Mind you the school I decided on for my kids before I came out here I couldn't get them into as I didn't end up living in the catchment area. where abouts in Essex are you from? jodi
Hi Jodi

Will PM you about Essex

H