Reload this Page >

How d'yu get a Boat License?

How d'yu get a Boat License?

Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:02 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road
Default How d'yu get a Boat License?

Hi

I'd like to buy a small boat when we get to Oz. I've never driven a boat before and Rachel keeps saying, 'you can't just buy a boat and go off in it!'. So I thought it'd be a good idea to find out how to go about learning to drive a boat and getting some sort of license.

If anyone already in Oz has had any experience of this it'd be good if I could get some info on this... cost, length of course,etc.

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How d'yu get a Boat License?

Here in Qld you can do a course, takes 1 day & they give you a certificate to say you are competent that you then take to Qld Transport who issue you with a licence.

BTW, there are boats that you dont need a licence for eg displacement cruisers, houseboats etc but they arent what most people envisage buying when they want to buy a "Boat" .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 14th 2005 at 11:19 am. Reason: wrong length of course
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:14 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
Hi

I'd like to buy a small boat when we get to Oz. I've never driven a boat before and Rachel keeps saying, 'you can't just buy a boat and go off in it!'. So I thought it'd be a good idea to find out how to go about learning to drive a boat and getting some sort of license.

If anyone already in Oz has had any experience of this it'd be good if I could get some info on this... cost, length of course,etc.

Thanks
Gary

Dont know about QLD but for us in VIC it's as follows:

Take obscenely simple test at vicroads office

Pay obscene amount of money to vicroads

Pay amother obscene large amount of money for boat rego

go boating

oh, pay $15 or so for trailer licence plates

that's about it....

Forgot to add, fishing licence is much the same but without trailer fees or test (yet!)
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:18 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a link to the licensing requirements for Qld
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rec_licence

Heres the course we did - cost was around $130 for the day (Ive just remembered it was only 1 day not 2, sorry, will edit first post.)

http://www.abcboating.com/
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:32 am
Wanna-be Pommie B******s

Gaz&Rach is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Heres a link to the licensing requirements for Qld
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rec_licence

Heres the course we did - cost was around $130 for the day (Ive just remembered it was only 1 day not 2, sorry, will edit first post.)

http://www.abcboating.com/
Thanks MrsDagboy

We'll be going Bayside too (eventually) so I'll prob be able to use the same one you did.

Cheers
Gary
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:09 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gaz&Rach
Hi

Thanks
Gary

I'm doing mine next sunday, will try and let you know how I got on
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I'm doing mine next sunday, will try and let you know how I got on
anyone got a link for sydney ! didnt get my boat off santa, but im working on the wife
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:33 pm
Rocket Scientist

No probs Gary, we actually had alot of fun doing the course, they get you to drive one of their boats etc. Didnt know that you were heading our way, have you been over on the bayside website?

Michelle, see aboe, you'll have fun!

Soapy, try here http://www.abcboating.com/Greater%20...%20Centres.htm .
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

No probs Gary, we actually had alot of fun doing the course, they get you to drive one of their boats etc. Didnt know that you were heading our way, have you been over on the bayside website?

Soapy, try here http://www.abcboating.com/Greater%20...%20Centres.htm .
aw, brill thanx very very much, if i get this out of the way then ive more chance of gettin the boat
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:58 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NJJ
Forgot to add, fishing licence is much the same but without trailer fees or test (yet!)
I'm trying to imagine what the test would be like for a fishing licence?

If it's anything like some of the weird questions in the VicRoads theory test for drivers, like this:

Is this a fish?
Can you eat it?
Would you have Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc with it?
How many fishermen fall into the river/sea within their 1st 6 months of getting their fishing licence?
Should you be drinking beer or other alcoholic beverages on the riverbank, in any case?

Takes all the fun out of it...

Anya.
Old Jan 15th 2005, 1:14 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Is this a fish?
Can you eat it?
Would you have Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc with it?
How many fishermen fall into the river/sea within their 1st 6 months of getting their fishing licence?
Should you be drinking beer or other alcoholic beverages on the riverbank, in any case?
If two fishermen are trying to catch the same fish, who gets priority?
(a) The one on the left
(b) The one on the right
(c) The one with the biggest rod (oo-er missus)
Old Jan 15th 2005, 7:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I know, really looking fwd to it - I drive the boat anyway, but this way I might know what I'm doing!! (and before anyone says anything, its legal to drive a boat with a licenced person onboard, even if you're not! )
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:53 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive my ignorance but do I need a licence for a 3M tinny with a 15HP outboard engine that only goes up and down the Tweed and Maroochy rivers?

Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by E=mc2
Forgive my ignorance but do I need a licence for a 3M tinny with a 15HP outboard engine that only goes up and down the Tweed and Maroochy rivers?

From http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/licensing

Recreational boats are those used for recreation purposes and are not for any type of business, trade or commerce. A licence is required to operate any recreational boat which is powered by a motor of more than 4.5kW (over 6HP), is capable of speeds in excess of 10 knots and has a planing or non-displacement hull.
According to that - yep. Assuming of course that you live in Qld .
Old Jan 15th 2005, 10:05 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

From http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/licensing

According to that - yep. Assuming of course that you live in Qld .
Oops! It appears that we have been boating (Is that the correct term) illegally for the last few Months, I better get a licence soon. Thanks MrsDagboy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.