Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How does Oz compare to USA?

How does Oz compare to USA?

Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does Oz compare to USA?

Having just returned from two weeks in sunny Florida husband is now saying why didn't we apply to migrate to USA instead of Australia.

He has never been 100% behind the idea to move to Oz and he now tells me he thinks he would prefer to move to Florida.

This was our 4th visit to Florida and loves the way of life and the climate in Florida amongst other things.

We also had a quick look at house prices whilst we were there and they look on a par to house prices in Oz.

Can anybody comment on how Oz compares to the Florida.

Please tell me that if he loves sunny Florida that he will love Oz, I am trying so hard to convince him that we are making the right move.

Thanks
Diane
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Diane

we also love florida and could imagine living in that sort of lifestyle, last easter we went to Perth so my husband could see it and he really liked it, this easter we went back to florida and he said that he didnt like it as much since we had been to perth, he felt it was dirtier and felt less friendly.

Incidentally he has likened perth to texas.

Just his humble optinion and obviously only based on visits not actually living somewhere.

Lynn
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:20 pm
WBB

personally i dont like america, i have been twice but it is not my cup of tea, although i cannot put my finger on it.

what i like about oz is the people are very friendly, the wildlife/nature and the vast open spaces.

Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Lynn when hubby comes in I will get him to read this

Diane

Originally posted by lynnj
Diane

we also love florida and could imagine living in that sort of lifestyle, last easter we went to Perth so my husband could see it and he really liked it, this easter we went back to florida and he said that he didnt like it as much since we had been to perth, he felt it was dirtier and felt less friendly.

Incidentally he has likened perth to texas.

Just his humble optinion and obviously only based on visits not actually living somewhere.

Lynn
Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:41 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: How does Oz compare to USA?

Hi Diane,
I love small town America but hate the big cities.
Small town is much nicer and more friendly.

I guess it all depends on where you are though.
It's where you prefer though that should have bearing on it.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We visit Florida every year and also thought of going to US as well. We decided on Oz as the visas are easier to get and your money is worth 2.5 instead of 1,5 ( at the moment though 1.65)

Once we had visited OZ I knew we had made the right decision , we think it is a much better version of the States. Some of it is quite Americanised (Gold Coast, some shops the same, roads are open though smaller etc) We were actually quite surprised by the similarities. A big plus is the Aussies are a lot nicer than the Yanks!

I think you will like it there, the lifestyles are similar and Oz wins hands down for me now.

In fact when we went back to Florida 6 months later it did look overcrowded and dirty in comparision.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 7:29 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

"Having just returned from two weeks in sunny Florida husband is now saying why didn't we apply to migrate to USA instead of Australia."

Less Americans for one thing.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does Oz compare to USA?

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
Having just returned from two weeks in sunny Florida husband is now saying why didn't we apply to migrate to USA instead of Australia.

He has never been 100% behind the idea to move to Oz and he now tells me he thinks he would prefer to move to Florida.

This was our 4th visit to Florida and loves the way of life and the climate in Florida amongst other things.

We also had a quick look at house prices whilst we were there and they look on a par to house prices in Oz.

Can anybody comment on how Oz compares to the Florida.

Please tell me that if he loves sunny Florida that he will love Oz, I am trying so hard to convince him that we are making the right move.

Thanks
iane
If you want the Florida climate and style you could try the Gold Coast. Lots of retired people and tourists wearing gold his and hers tracksuits.

The US is not as natural a place for someone from the UK to settle. The culture and sense of homour is not always compatible. I cannot stand the US attitirude to alcohol. No Friday lunch at the pub and if you have more than a glass of wine with your dinner funny unapproving stares will come your way.:scared:
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

di thought i hadnt heard from you in a while how is the house sale going

my mate was thinking of going to the states but as nurse you have to do a whole lot of training all over again and take exams, not for me she has decided to go cornwall instead

arlene
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:16 pm
Badge

At the end of the day Aussies do seem do have a, at worst, vague Anglo-Saxon humour and attitude which Americans, nice as they are, seem to lack.

badge

Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by badgersmount
At the end of the day Aussies do seem do have a, at worst, vague Anglo-Saxon humour and attitude which Americans, nice as they are, seem to lack.

badge
Badge

You seem to refer to Anglo-Saxon things quite a lot.

Could you please enlighten me as to what an "Anglo-Saxon" sense of humour is ?

Is it a cross between English and German (which is ofcourse where the Saxons originated) ??

Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:15 am
Badge

I can't say any more what Anglo Saxon is. Brit/England people in Middle Ages. Not original settlers for sure. The sort of people that resulted in our current culture.

However, in the context of, say, comparing Yanks to Brits
a Brit is more likely to be wry, take the piss out of themselves, use irony, use black (less PC) humour, not strive for social perfection etc, not be "perfect". Less hemegenised. (Sic)

Aussies are more like us in this respect than say a Yank.

You only have to compare sitcoms like Friends, Fraser (what the hell is funny about someone making an "intellectualised", "smart alec" comment with arched brow plus canned laughter to signal that they are saying something funny) verus stuff we have.

Just an observation. You'll hear Aussies taking the piss out of the Yanks like the Brits do - although day to day life and asthetics are similar to US in Australia. Best of both worlds, maybe?

badge

Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

I can't say any more what Anglo Saxon is. Brit/England people in Middle Ages. Not original settlers for sure. The sort of people that resulted in our current culture.

a Brit is more likely to be wry, take the piss out of themselves, use irony, use black (less PC) humour, not strive for social perfection etc, not be "perfect". Less hemegenised. (Sic)

You only have to compare sitcoms like Friends, Fraser (what the hell is funny about someone making an "intellectualised", "smart alec" comment with arched brow plus canned laughter to signal that they are saying something funny) verus stuff we have.

Just an observation. You'll hear Aussies taking the piss out of the Yanks like the Brits do - although day to day life and asthetics are similar to US in Australia. Best of both worlds, maybe?

badge
Badge

Quite a bit earlier than the middle ages actually and of German descent.

I've lived in the UK, North America and Australia and I do agree that the Americans fail to understand irony and sarcasm. However I have to disagree that Frasier isn't funny - I love it.

Aussie humour does have a greater similarity to British humour but I think that it's a lot cruder. Aussies also take themselves quite seriously - not very good at laughing at themselves.

Last edited by Sunlover; Oct 14th 2003 at 11:25 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:55 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

badge
Badge, I have enjoyed your posts, I even defended you when you upset someone last week. Frasier not funny how can you say that. its the dogs / Eddie's danglers, you need a glass of wine & put your feet up to watch it.
Even my missus laughed twice aloud when we watched it, so proof if it were ever needed.
Sixth best comedy of all time, my first for link up, continuity innocence, sophistication ah (see how ya missed it now).
Keep Friends outta comedy they have, ran around 4 series too long. Frasier for president, & no come backs even with a latte.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no comparisons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.