Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you transfer money once in Oz?

How do you transfer money once in Oz?

Old May 24th 2007, 12:24 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough
Default How do you transfer money once in Oz?

I've just been told by my bank that I can only transfer max of £10,000 per day by internet banking, or need t obe in the country to sign the transfer at my branch. We were hoping to wait until the rate picked up, which may be when we'r in Oz.
Just wondered how other people have managed this, or have you all transferred before leaving the UK??
Old May 24th 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Diane-Stephen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you transfer money once in Oz?

Originally Posted by Pam
I've just been told by my bank that I can only transfer max of £10,000 per day by internet banking, or need t obe in the country to sign the transfer at my branch. We were hoping to wait until the rate picked up, which may be when we'r in Oz.
Just wondered how other people have managed this, or have you all transferred before leaving the UK??
We transferred a chunk of money before we came using HIFX, they then sent us forms to open HIFX account in Sydney. To transfer rest of money from UK we have had to send Barclays a letter from Oz so they have a signature and details of HIFX account to send money to. Hope this makes sense.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:01 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Diane-Stephen
We transferred a chunk of money before we came using HIFX, they then sent us forms to open HIFX account in Sydney. To transfer rest of money from UK we have had to send Barclays a letter from Oz so they have a signature and details of HIFX account to send money to. Hope this makes sense.
Did you have to give Barclays a set date that you wanted the money transfered on? If so, how did you kno that date?
Old May 25th 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Diane-Stephen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pam
Did you have to give Barclays a set date that you wanted the money transfered on? If so, how did you kno that date?
No we didn't give a date cos we wanted transfer asap. You could give a date but you wouldn't know what the exchange rate would be. Maybe you can write the letter and then phone to instruct them on the day you want the transfer made.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time - open a Nationwide account. You can set up internet transfers of up to £10,000 per transaction - but you can have more than one at a time.

Barclays transfer limits are ridiculous! £1,000 per day via internet banking / £5,000 if you go through to their phone banking.