British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do you spot an expat biker? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-you-spot-expat-biker-325930/)

Mongrol Sep 14th 2005 11:55 pm

How do you spot an expat biker?

They nod back...!

Wanderlust Sep 15th 2005 2:31 am

Re: How do you spot an expat biker?

Aww.... I dunno. I've had heaps of bikers nod back at me and I'm sure they're not all expats. :)
I went for an evening ride to meet up with a bunch of bikers (Brisbane Bikers) and they all laughed at me because I was wearing a reflective band (you know - the sort that goes around your waist and over one shoulder) Apparently only a 'POM' would dream of wearing one of those. Well - I think at least I'll be an live Pom - rather than one squashed over the road cos nobody saw me. :)

W. :D

logan Sep 15th 2005 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Aww.... I dunno. I've had heaps of bikers nod back at me and I'm sure they're not all expats. :)
I went for an evening ride to meet up with a bunch of bikers (Brisbane Bikers) and they all laughed at me because I was wearing a reflective band (you know - the sort that goes around your waist and over one shoulder) Apparently only a 'POM' would dream of wearing one of those. Well - I think at least I'll be an live Pom - rather than one squashed over the road cos nobody saw me. :)

That's what I was going to ask you W, after reading your other post the other day. Had you always wanted a motorbike, or was it your other half who got you into it? It's just that the driving scares me so much in this country, that I would feel so vulnerable on a bike here. (this is not an opening for another thread slagging off aussie driving, just my perception and resulting fear! :scared: :D )

Mongrol Sep 15th 2005 3:20 am

Originally Posted by logan
That's what I was going to ask you W, after reading your other post the other day. Had you always wanted a motorbike, or was it your other half who got you into it? It's just that the driving scares me so much in this country, that I would feel so vulnerable on a bike here. (this is not an opening for another thread slagging off aussie driving, just my perception and resulting fear! :scared: :D )

After I suggested getting a bike here I had loads of folk saying I was mad for joining the ranks of "temporary australians" and I was a bit nervous at first getting on my first bike for 12 years. However, I now find its like I've never been away from it. After a few days I've picked up the normal survival traits I used a decade ago. Constantly scanning for danger, managing the space around me to reduce risk, hovering over the brakes at every populated junction. I've also bought a shit load of dririder armoured gear to prevent a visit to Dr Skingraft.

To be honest I don't think riding around here is much more dangerous than the UK. Yes, people here are a bit more carefree in which direction they drive in but its a much different environment. Brisbane hardly has wet weather, its got more "straight" or directional traffic flow and no matter where you are there's generally less cars per square foot than the UK.

Summer will be a test though as there's no way I'll be riding with any skin exposed so it looks like I need to invest in a summer pair of dririder panties. Still, with weather like this, this country was made for biking.

Wanderlust Sep 15th 2005 3:39 am

Hiya!

I've been riding for about 6 years or so now. Got my first bike in the UK. Nope - the new fella had nothing to do with it. He'd never been on a motorbike until I took him for a ride as pillion a few months ago. :D

Personally I find riding here easy in comparison. I used to ride my bike into work in London - now THAT was scary!

The only thing I find a bit dodgy is the condition of some of the roads. Even major roads can be majorly bumpy - which if you're not expecting it can take you by surprise. The traffic doesnt faze me at all.
The weather has been perfect for riding for months now. The evenings get a bit chilly, but I brought all my cold weather gear from the UK too, so its not an issue if I want to go out.

I'm amazed by the numbers of Aussies you see riding around in shorts, trainers, singlet and helmet. The Aussie bikers I hang out with (a much more sensible crowd) refer to those uncovered bikers as 'squids'. I thought that was quite good. :D

If you're interested in getting to know a great group of bikers in the Brisbane area, you should visit their website www.brisbanebikers.com and join the chat room. There's heaps going on.

Cheers!

Mongrol Sep 15th 2005 11:14 pm

Cheers for the link Wanderlust. Might be a while before I get to the coffee meet though as I play soccer on fridays. I'll check the forum out. I notice you live in Runcorn. Me too! In Persse road.

alkristensen Sep 16th 2005 12:15 am

Hi.

Ive been a biker in the n.w. (manchester) for about 16 years now and hardly ever see another commuter on a bike, and you never have to look around when you overtake.

I went to london once on a bike right in to victoria. station and ytou needed a head on a swivel 24/7

WOW

Never ever doing that again.

As above i cant wait for the straighter more car less roads in the CONSTANT SUNSHINE (compared to manc anywhere is and im a 365 rider not fair weather!!!) riding and ill love it!!

Thanks for the URL will have a check nearer the time of moving in july.

Are jap bike cheaper out there or the same?

alk.xx

Wanderlust Sep 16th 2005 1:05 am

Originally Posted by alkristensen

Are jap bike cheaper out there or the same?

alk.xx

Dunno about all of the bike prices.... I think they are a bit cheaper, but not by much.

W.

alkristensen Sep 16th 2005 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Dunno about all of the bike prices.... I think they are a bit cheaper, but not by much.

W.

thanks ive just got an R6 and wow its fast , most of my others have been 400 s mainly NC30s but wow this will take some beating. Cant wait to ride it in winter in manchester.

nutty but i love em!

alk