Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you Negotiate a Salary in Oz??

How do you Negotiate a Salary in Oz??

Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How do you Negotiate a Salary in Oz??

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?

When I have browsed the internet for Jobs in Australia, I noticed that they do not state a salary next to the job (like they do here in Blighty).

If I went for a job how do I broach the subject and state what salary I would like without either going over the top or under cutting myself?

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance

Nat

Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you Negotiate a Salary in Oz??

Originally posted by Natbat
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?

When I have browsed the internet for Jobs in Australia, I noticed that they do not state a salary next to the job (like they do here in Blighty).

If I went for a job how do I broach the subject and state what salary I would like without either going over the top or under cutting myself?

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance

Nat

I've seen plenty of jobs that do show salaries in the ad but it depends on the advertiser. Try going to www.yahoo.com.au and searching for salary survey and your job title and see what it finds. I did find one recently for IT but can't remember where now.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

there was a great post on this last week but cant remember who it was by, basically they said work out what it would be in the uk then add a bit on and convert it into dollars. Then watch their faces. Depending on the reaction you can then go either way. If they snatch your hand off, chip in with extras like company car, fuel, superan, healthcare etc

can anyone remember the thread last week?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:11 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andy thomas
there was a great post on this last week but cant remember who it was by, basically they said work out what it would be in the uk then add a bit on and convert it into dollars. Then watch their faces. Depending on the reaction you can then go either way. If they snatch your hand off, chip in with extras like company car, fuel, superan, healthcare etc

Didn't read that one but it sounds like a bloody good idea.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
Didn't read that one but it sounds like a bloody good idea.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I shall have nosey now on the web

Ta

Nat
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:43 pm
Badge

Without raining on anyone's parade, this rule of thumb may be all well and good, but I would say that you will end up fairly 'HIGH', and you may be disappointed. Unless you are in a high end job.

BM

Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andy thomas

Do you mean this one ?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:46 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
Without raining on anyone's parade, this rule of thumb may be all well and good, but I would say that you will end up fairly 'HIGH', and you may be disappointed. Unless you are in a high end job.

BM
Dam right. In my case they would have had me thrown out of the building at such a suggestion. To get from my UK salary to my Oz salary you had to replace the pound sign with a dollar sign and then knock off 15%!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
Dam right. In my case they would have had me thrown out of the building at such a suggestion. To get from my UK salary to my Oz salary you had to replace the pound sign with a dollar sign and then knock off 15%!
I don't think it has really sunk in with many people that Australian salaries tend to be lower than in the UK.
That's maybe why it comes as a shock when people learn the reality.

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:53 pm
Badge

Actually I DID achieve this optimistic rule of thumb but I am a contractor in IT! And I was underpaid in the UK. Although I could still get more.

You'd be better off adding 10pc and x by 2, not, say, 3. If you're lucky. Depends on you and your level of course.

What this means, is that only houses and fuel come in cheaper in Australia. Incidentally, I have been doing a conversion rate of 2 for years - I see it as the real FX rate for me.

So if you are in an admin job you may be lucky to even get the above, more like 28-35K; PA like jobs get 45K in Sydney! if you are a high flyer you may get even more and indeed get the add a bit and x3.

I said I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 65-70k for a permie originally. But i would have taken 60k if it meant a job, and even 50K could appear appealing..

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Apr 8th 2004 at 1:02 pm.

Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:57 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
Actually I DID achieve this rule of thumb but I am a contractor in IT! And I was underpaid in the UK.

You'd be better off adding 10pc and x by 2, not, say, 3. If you're lucky. Depends on you and your level of course.

BM
Personally I dont think there is such a thing as a rule of thumb - its a complete nonsense to suggest there is one. A lawyer or an accountant can expect a substantial salary cut, especially if coming from the south east of UK. A bank manager or an architect can expect a substantial pay rise. Every job is different - the old demand and supply equation at work.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Do you mean this one ?

that's it, cheers mike