Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you know where to have your stuff shipped to??

How do you know where to have your stuff shipped to??

Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice
Default How do you know where to have your stuff shipped to??

Maybe a stupid question I know... but I keep worrying about not having an address to have our things shipped to when the time comes.

So the question is...if you have to give a destination address at the time of shipping but aren't in Oz yet so have nowhere to live 'til you get there, where do you send your stuff to?

Sorry if I sound a bit daft!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do you know where to have your stuff shipped to??

I haven't yet looked into shipping our stuff yet, but I always had it in the back of my mind that you could consider putting it in to storage until you needed it. So the address would be a storage location in the city to which you are moving to. Maybe?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

claretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the roughclaretandblue is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We're in the same boat too!! We're looking to go over there in March and as yet have no where! Areas all depend on where my Husband gets a job, so at the moment, we're in limbo!!!:curse:
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to all

We are shipping on 11th November we booked a holiday rental so they have taen that address but know that will not be the delivery address. You do also have the option of storage and its not expensive either so if we haven't found anywhere when it arrives thats what we'll do.

The shipping companies will give you all the advice you need so don't worry.

We're using PSS if you interested.

Good luck
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

home alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nicehome alone is just really nice

Hi! The shipping companies, usually include storage in the price, it's your choice, if you want it, in the UK or AUS. or both. They will discuss all that with you, when you are asking for quotes/prices etc; My daughter found them very helpful. Regards Lin
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

They often quote for delivery within a certain radius of the destintion warehouse and include a set number of weeks' storage. All you do is either give them an address when you have it or extend the storage until you know where your stuff's going.

Just don't send it to Perth if you think you'll be living in Brisbane.....
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:37 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. You only have to give an address for customs purposes - the shippers don't mind really. All I did was give them a mates address in the same city but asked them to note on the paperwork that I wanted it left in storage until I could update the address.

Last edited by MTPockets; Oct 27th 2008 at 2:44 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

You'll probably arrive well before your stuff does though. I used a friends address, (which was handy as it was the only letter we had with an australian address on it in our name. This helped for school etc) The shippers then ask you nearer the time, where do you want it delievered to. Suppose it depends how quick you find somewhere to live. Ours arrived ten days early too, which was a godsend. We only had 3 nights on airbeds and no sofas etc.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I put my employer's address on it. Then once I knew where I was living emailled the shippers and changed the delivery address.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

When we were moving back to Sydney we just put the destination as “Sydney”. As the boat took 12 weeks for the stuff to get here, in that time we came and found a place, they told us just contact them once we have an address.

Mikey
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:49 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We left our container in storage until we had found where we were going to be.. when we settled we have ordered our container to be shipped.. does mean that we are now living in our rental using our camping table and 4 chairs, plus 3 blow up beds! hehe!

We have some kitchen stuff from our travels around Australia in a motorhome..

Em x
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:38 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

We gave the shippers my husbands work address. Once we have a rental house we will let them know the address. They were fine with this arrangement.

Been in Mackay 2 weeks now. Still haven't found a rental!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by dickchap
We gave the shippers my husbands work address. Once we have a rental house we will let them know the address. They were fine with this arrangement.

Been in Mackay 2 weeks now. Still haven't found a rental!

That's another thing that worries me! (There's loads actually like our house not selling :curse how to find a rental when you don't know how much your gonna be earning, do you just go for the cheapest thing you find and then when you find employment and can afford a bit more move? and then there's all the paperwork for rentals. Or do people stay in holiday apartments first?

This is complicated..........

P.S Thanks for everyones replies, that's what I love about this website!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:10 am
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
That's another thing that worries me! (There's loads actually like our house not selling :curse how to find a rental when you don't know how much your gonna be earning, do you just go for the cheapest thing you find and then when you find employment and can afford a bit more move? and then there's all the paperwork for rentals. Or do people stay in holiday apartments first?

This is complicated..........

P.S Thanks for everyones replies, that's what I love about this website!

Hiya Suzy

I know what you mean about worries!!!! We have booked a holiday let for one month when we land. I am then going to go for a reasonable rent, this way we will have more money to travel and visit places (if getting a well paid job goes to plan). We will not start looking for work until we get there, taking money over with us and fingers crossed it will last!!

It is complicated but my oh is trying to drill into me that I can be too organised and worry too much, hope it goes well for you

Laura
XXX

Last edited by Laura and Tom; Oct 27th 2008 at 11:11 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laura and Tom
Hiya Suzy

I know what you mean about worries!!!! We have booked a holiday let for one month when we land. I am then going to go for a reasonable rent, this way we will have more money to travel and visit places (if getting a well paid job goes to plan). We will not start looking for work until we get there, taking money over with us and fingers crossed it will last!!

It is complicated but my oh is trying to drill into me that I can be too organised and worry too much, hope it goes well for you

Laura
XXX

Where abouts in VIC is your holiday let? We're going to Melbourne and any info about aboout places to stay would be great! Think we're probably gonna go to Frankston to settle it seems more for us being a young family.