British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do you get Permanent residency for home loans? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-you-get-permanent-residency-home-loans-507866/)

fryertuck Jan 21st 2008 10:26 am

How do you get Permanent residency for home loans?

Looks like my partner and I will be coming to Auz on a sponsered 457Visa, when we get to Auz apparently we need to become permanent residency to obtain a home loan! We would be looking at some where between 6 to 12 months as we will be renting to start of with.

Is permanent residency the same as the citizenship, which is now four years before you can get this if not how do you apply for permanent residency?

Many thanks Chris.

MartinH Jan 21st 2008 10:43 am

Re: How do you get Permanent residency for home loans?

You don't need PR to get a home loan. You may need a higher deposit that a resident but you will have no problem getting a loan.

northernbird Jan 21st 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by fryertuck (Post 5818181)
Looks like my partner and I will be coming to Auz on a sponsered 457Visa, when we get to Auz apparently we need to become permanent residency to obtain a home loan! We would be looking at some where between 6 to 12 months as we will be renting to start of with.

Is permanent residency the same as the citizenship, which is now four years before you can get this if not how do you apply for permanent residency?

Many thanks Chris.

You do not need to be a permanent resident to get a mortgage. It restricts your options for lender somewhat and you must have at least a 20% deposit but it isn't impossible and many people do it.

fryertuck Jan 21st 2008 8:56 pm

Many thanks for the reply's, hopefully no problem getting a home loan then!! :thumbsup: but does anyone know anything about getting Permanent residency when going out on a 457 visa, as we have no plans coming back to the uk!!

Cheers Chris.

tomy2tums Jan 21st 2008 10:31 pm

you need to apply for a PR visa.

get yourself and agent and let them do all the work

the sooner the better

you can have a 457 and a PR running at the same time.

however, once your PR has been pre-granted, you have to leave Australia so it can be granted. Thats why we're going to Bali this afternoon, back in 10 days

northernbird Jan 21st 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by tomy2tums (Post 5820946)
you need to apply for a PR visa.

get yourself and agent and let them do all the work

the sooner the better

you can have a 457 and a PR running at the same time.

however, once your PR has been pre-granted, you have to leave Australia so it can be granted. Thats why we're going to Bali this afternoon, back in 10 days

Not if you get an employer to sponsor you. We got ours though employer sponsorship as we didn't qualify for skilled. If you go ENS you don't have to leave Australia for visa to be granted.

tomy2tums Jan 21st 2008 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5820956)
Not if you get an employer to sponsor you. We got ours though employer sponsorship as we didn't qualify for skilled. If you go ENS you don't have to leave Australia for visa to be granted.

ah, see we had applied for a PR136 using our agent, and then were offered a transfer by my employer.