Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you get on Get a New Life etc etc

How do you get on Get a New Life etc etc

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation How do you get on Get a New Life etc etc

Hello Everyone
I don't know about you but when you have your visa and are just waiting for the house to sell you start to contemplate going on these programmes. Has anyone done it or applied for one and how do you go about it?
Thought a light hearted bit of conversation would ease the tension of waiting for that damn estate agent to call
Irene
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:23 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: How do you get on Get a New Life etc etc

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hello Everyone
I don't know about you but when you have your visa and are just waiting for the house to sell you start to contemplate going on these programmes. Has anyone done it or applied for one and how do you go about it?
Thought a light hearted bit of conversation would ease the tension of waiting for that damn estate agent to call
Irene
I got an email thru' Expats about a month ago asking for people to come forward if they were interested in going home for Christmas for a docusoap. As I've only been here two months, I think going home is the last thing on my mind - as nice as it would be to see everyone!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:27 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone
Irene
There has abeen a few ofthose families from those TV shows posting on this forum, perhaps some of the other members might remember their login/user names ?

Why would someone want to have a TV crew in your face 24/7, it must be a nightmare.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:39 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishmolly
There has abeen a few ofthose families from those TV shows posting on this forum, perhaps some of the other members might remember their login/user names ?

Why would someone want to have a TV crew in your face 24/7, it must be a nightmare.

I agree...look how they stitched up poor Rachel in Brisbane with that dreadful husband of hers.

www.bbc.co.uk/getanewlife
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/hom...ntheshow.shtml
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone
Irene
I think Irene wanted a light hearted thread on how to get on these shows, not how or where to apply so here goes for starters:

(Advertisement for reality TV show on family moving down under)

Exhibitionist? Want a camera following you 24/7? Want to see an edited finished product that won't show the 'real you'? Do you carry some 'baggage' in your life (not suitcases)? Have a dysfunctional family? Prepared to give the stereotypical whinge or three when you get there? Want a free trip? Will you guarantee to be really homesick or even better some of you be more homesick than the others? etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

If you can answer yes to most of the above then you are exactly what we are looking for. 'Normal' families and straighforward success stories need not apply.

Tongue in cheek and not directed at anyone specifically. As the lawyer man in 'The Castle' says 'it's just the vibe of the thing' (these programs)

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:15 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry - thought it was a serious request!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post that...

Sums up my feelings on those families and that type of programme.

Still compelling viewing though, how sad is that.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I think Irene wanted a light hearted thread on how to get on these shows, not how or where to apply so here goes for starters:

(Advertisement for reality TV show on family moving down under)

Exhibitionist? Want a camera following you 24/7? Want to see an edited finished product that won't show the 'real you'? Do you carry some 'baggage' in your life (not suitcases)? Have a dysfunctional family? Prepared to give the stereotypical whinge or three when you get there? Want a free trip? Will you guarantee to be really homesick or even better some of you be more homesick than the others? etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

If you can answer yes to most of the above then you are exactly what we are looking for. 'Normal' families and straighforward success stories need not apply.

Tongue in cheek and not directed at anyone specifically. As the lawyer man in 'The Castle' says 'it's just the vibe of the thing' (these programs)

OzTennis
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I got interviewed for one - some crew doing a series back in December, following people who had moved here. they used Anthony Kirby, I know that, and they thought they could "use" me cos of my image on here, witchy, arrived on Hallowe'en , married an Aussie. Then they met me.
I wouldn't be manipulated, I was too honest - too straight about stuff I did and didn't like here, and above all, not quite the "weirdo" they were after!
If you do one of these shows, they will show what THEY want. You will be the migrant THEy want - which could be fun; The Bloke and I would have done it, but we wouldn't be portrayed as something we are not.

"Debreeve" was on one of the shows - my mum taped it and sent it over; I watched AFTER meeting Deb, and I must say I didn't really recognise her.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
"Debreeve" was on one of the shows - my mum taped it and sent it over; I watched AFTER meeting Deb, and I must say I didn't really recognise her.
Agreed. Haven't met her but she is totally different on here than she was made out on the programme.

Never in a million years would I want them following me around, twisting everything I say - I can do that well enough myself
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:44 pm
togooff&things

We're currently on the waiting list of applications for Get A New Life! Don't care what people think of me for it! Any help with 1st month and advice on "where and how" would be great! They are currently awaiting news of funding for a new series and finishing off filming this current series.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All
Thanks for all your replies. I actually did after much deliberation go to the link for get a new life and requested an application. Whether or not I would truly want them to follow me around Im not sure. Howver I had a few DNA appointments this afternoon and got bored which started this thread off.

Thanks for all your replies lighthearted and serious. As for the estate agent I rang them up saying its 6 weeks now and only 1 viewing got the same old story market slow blah blah. Still packed a few more boxes today so at least I feel something is happening...
Now I wonder if I hear from the BBC ..... I will keep you all posted!
Irene