Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you get the extra baggage allowance?

How do you get the extra baggage allowance?

Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: How do you get the extra baggage allowance?

Originally Posted by suesk
We were told by Emirates today that we needed to fax a copy of the visa in passport and booking ref to get extra baggage allowance. Hope this helps.

Suexx
This is what the travel agent told us yesterday, we have to take our passports in to them for them to fax off which Sinagpore will then send us a letter to hand in when we check in.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

Hi,
We booked our flights on line, direct with Emirates a couple of days ago.
Then we e-mailed them to ask about the double allowance. The reply told us that we could have it as long as we hadn't asked for e-tickets as these couldn't be changed to show the extra baggage allowance.
Guess what? thats right, we'd got e-tickets so now we can't get the extra!!!!!
Nowhere on their site does it mention extra baggage allowance and it's only thru forums like this that we found out about it, but we obviously still had that one small bit of info missing!
I'm going to e-mail Emirates again and grovel a bit, got nothing to lose by trying.
So be warned.

Sara W
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:17 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Their email address is on their website, I got a reply back from them saying that if you go to check-in with an unused visa stating you can stay in australia indefinitely then you get the extra baggage.
I had the same e-mail back from Singapore Airlines stating this.

Un-validated and stating the stay is permanent.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:12 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Reading through this, I just had a thought - what about internal flights when we arrive?

We can't fly straight into Townsville, so have to via Cairns, Brisbane or Sydney. It's ok getting double allowance on the 'big' flight, but no good if we then get 'stung' for it on the internal flight.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

To be honest, it's still early days, and I'm not sure how much I want to take on the plane with me anyway - prob' just ship most of it...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sara W
Hi,
We booked our flights on line, direct with Emirates a couple of days ago.
Then we e-mailed them to ask about the double allowance. The reply told us that we could have it as long as we hadn't asked for e-tickets as these couldn't be changed to show the extra baggage allowance.
Guess what? thats right, we'd got e-tickets so now we can't get the extra!!!!!
Nowhere on their site does it mention extra baggage allowance and it's only thru forums like this that we found out about it, but we obviously still had that one small bit of info missing!
I'm going to e-mail Emirates again and grovel a bit, got nothing to lose by trying.
So be warned.

Sara W
Hi Sara

Fax the visa pages of your passport through with your booking ref number to 01625445262. And tell them u were told to fax once u had e-tickets dont mention my name lol. U can put on the top of fax something along the lines of Please find my visas for extra baggage allowance and booking ref number.

Good luck keep me informed as ive just done this.

Suexx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Suesk,

I e-mailed them with a part grovelling and part complaint, got a reply asking us to e-mail scans of visa page etc' and then they'll 'see what can be done', I'll take that to meen it's going to be o.k.
I'll let you know.

Sara W
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

greentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the roughgreentreefrog is a jewel in the rough

Hi Suexx and Sara,

which country code is that faxnumber and could I please get the email address as well as I booked an e-ticket with Emirates too.

Thank you
GTF
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by greentreefrog
Hi Suexx and Sara,

which country code is that faxnumber and could I please get the email address as well as I booked an e-ticket with Emirates too.

Thank you
GTF
Hi GTF

Im presuming its the UK. Im sorry i dont have the email address.

Suexx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Suesk,

I e-mailed them with a part grovelling and part complaint, got a reply asking us to e-mail scans of visa page etc' and then they'll 'see what can be done', I'll take that to meen it's going to be o.k.
I'll let you know.

Sara W
Hi Sara

Yes it would be great if you would let me know. Buggers avnt sent mine yet OH has had his getting worried now in case i cant get on flight

Suexx
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Suesk.

I originally e-mailed to [email protected] with my groveling request, a nice lady called Morag replied, asking me to send scans of our passport picture pages and visa pages to [email protected]. I sent these along with our ticket numbers and booking ref. (fao Morag) asking for the extra allowance.

And today I got new tickets issued with the 40k allowance

Got to be worth a try!

Sara W
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Suesk.

I originally e-mailed to [email protected] with my groveling request, a nice lady called Morag replied, asking me to send scans of our passport picture pages and visa pages to [email protected]. I sent these along with our ticket numbers and booking ref. (fao Morag) asking for the extra allowance.

And today I got new tickets issued with the 40k allowance

Got to be worth a try!

Sara W
Hi Sara

Excellent news im really pleased for you. Being cheeky sometimes helps lol. I got my tickets too whoohoo Oz here we come. Where and when are u going?

Suexx

Last edited by suesk; Jan 23rd 2008 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sue,
I'm going to Perth on 29th June with my husband and two cats. We've just got our permanent visa after 15 months. I'm going to work as a nurse & my hubby's gonna try something completely new, maybe house painting.

We are planning on living anywhere not too far from the beach. Initially we'll be living with a friend in Leederville, and renting soon after.

It's all a bit scary and real now the flights are booked. Feel the fear and do it anyway It will be a great move for so many reasons.

Good luck with where ever you are going,

Sara