British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do you get the extra baggage allowance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-you-get-extra-baggage-allowance-507278/)

Ozzy7 Jan 18th 2008 6:52 pm

How do you get the extra baggage allowance?

We have been granted our permanent residency visa, and plan to fly with sinapore airlines from Heathrow to Perth in April, were planning on booking up the flights this weekend but need to know how you go about getting the extra baggage allowance, if booking on line is there anywhere to add these details, or if booking with a travel agent I assume you need to mention this to them when booking?

ianhutch1 Jan 18th 2008 7:14 pm

Re: How do you get the extra baggage allowance?

Their email address is on their website, I got a reply back from them saying that if you go to check-in with an unused visa stating you can stay in australia indefinitely then you get the extra baggage.

I assume thats no help for me as we are on a 457 temporary :huh:

r1c1 Jan 18th 2008 7:36 pm

Hi.

We done reccie trip in June. Does this mean we've lost the extra allowance?

S&S

Centurion Jan 18th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by r1c1 (Post 5807039)
Hi.

S&S

If you validated your PR visa in that visit then yes I'm afraid so. You will not be able to get it.

Ozzy7 Jan 18th 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ianhutch1 (Post 5806958)
Their email address is on their website, I got a reply back from them saying that if you go to check-in with an unused visa stating you can stay in australia indefinitely then you get the extra baggage.

I assume thats no help for me as we are on a 457 temporary :huh:

Which website are you talking about?

shiels Jan 18th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzy7 (Post 5807386)
Which website are you talking about?

www.singaporeair.com

C x

shiels Jan 18th 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by r1c1 (Post 5807039)
Hi.

S&S

I would still contact them as you may get more than the 20kg as normal, worth a try. :) Sometimes depends who you fly with as not all the airlines offer the extra baggage allowance in the first place! C x

Glw88 Jan 18th 2008 11:35 pm

Already been given an answer in a similar thread I posted a couple of days ago, but I just realised looking at my visa it says:

'Must not travel after 16may08. Multiple Travel
Permitted to stay in Australia Indefinitely'

Despite having already been out there on this current visa, when I spoke to someone at Singapore Airlines they said like someone else mentioned in this thread, double allowance is possible on an indefinite stay visa even if it has been previously used...:confused:

Pollyana Jan 19th 2008 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Glw88 (Post 5808103)
Already been given an answer in a similar thread I posted a couple of days ago, but I just realised looking at my visa it says:

'Must not travel after 16may08. Multiple Travel
Permitted to stay in Australia Indefinitely'

Despite having already been out there on this current visa, when I spoke to someone at Singapore Airlines they said like someone else mentioned in this thread, double allowance is possible on an indefinite stay visa even if it has been previously used...:confused:

But you will have to grovel and ask nicely, as the standard rule is unusaed (unvalidated) visas. Get it in writing from the airline, don't risk just turning up.

Sleeping Beauty Jan 19th 2008 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5808265)
But you will have to grovel and ask nicely, as the standard rule is unusaed (unvalidated) visas. Get it in writing from the airline, don't risk just turning up.

the rule of thumb is double baggage is given (by those airlines that do do it ;)), when you give the airline/travel agent your visa number on a one-way fare. this visa number has to be printed on the ticket. we used to also get a copy of the visa to attach to our copies of the tickets (when it used to be carbonated tickets, not e-tickets like now - showing my age here :D).

however, that was 10 years ago, so things will have probably changed.

Buzzy--Bee Jan 19th 2008 9:18 am

The easiest most hassle-free way to get more than double baggage allowance is to fly via the USA. Available to all.

Buzzy

egghead4 Jan 19th 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5809323)
The easiest most hassle-free way to get more than double baggage allowance is to fly via the USA. Available to all.

Buzzy

buzzy,

is this even if you have validated your visa beforehand?
god i didnt realise this so its good to know

suesk Jan 19th 2008 4:37 pm

We were told by Emirates today that we needed to fax a copy of the visa in passport and booking ref to get extra baggage allowance. Hope this helps.

Suexx

Buzzy--Bee Jan 19th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by egghead4 (Post 5809998)
buzzy,

is this even if you have validated your visa beforehand?
god i didnt realise this so its good to know

As I said, available to all. No matter what visa you are on, no matter how many previous trips you have made. Tourists and everyone get at least 46kg each passenger plus hand luggage. Travelmood will sort you out. www.travelmood.com

Buzzy

OzJo Jan 20th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5809323)

Buzzy

Absolutely! We did that! 2 bags each at 32kg each bag which meant we had 64kg each.

we had 2 extra bags and they charged us PER BAG and not PER KILO!:thumbup: