Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you friends here in Oz differ from those left in the UK?

How do you friends here in Oz differ from those left in the UK?

Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:33 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you friends here in Oz differ from those left in the UK?

Having a conversation with my husband earlier today about friends here and friends there!

We decided my friends here in Oz are similar ish pretty much to those I have in the UK!

Where as some of my husbands mates here in Oz are well a little different to those back in the UK, they seem to be a little more how shall I put it "under the thumb and lacking in a little kick" .

Just wondered others thoughts and findings on the situation!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
I'm really a monkey!

Normal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really nice
Default Re: How do you friends here in Oz differ from those left in the UK?

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Having a conversation with my husband earlier today about friends here and friends there!

We decided my friends here in Oz are similar ish pretty much to those I have in the UK!

Where as some of my husbands mates here in Oz are well a little different to those back in the UK, they seem to be a little more how shall I put it "under the thumb and lacking in a little kick" .

Judging by the lack of replies it appears expats don't mix with the locals but sit in front of the PC having banter with other expats!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:24 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

It is 5.23am in the morning. The locals are still in the land of nod
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

![/QUOTE]

My best mates in UK are going to take some replacing...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams

My mates have different interests to the average bloke in the street in the UK so I find they have more in common with the blokes I did know. If anything, I've always found the beery blokes you'd sort of find in pubs in England are more sort of under the thumb (although they get points for managing to get out).

Our friends in London have a different lifestyle so you can't make direct comparisons.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Our friends in OZ were never nosey, material things didn't matter to them (where we work/live, what car we drive etc) and they were friends as they liked our company, not because we kept up with the Jones's !
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

For once I agree with Mally.

I find our friends here are genuine, have common interests ( poms ) and is good when we get together cos we can all relate to everyday things we are experiencing.

My aussie mates, well I cannot compare them to mates in uk, as they are aussie, but I hold all my friends on an equal level to me...

I have however found it easier to avoid being friendly with certin pp in Oz.

Ste
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Friendships I have made here have been far more transient - maybe something to do with the mobility of the people but those friends made when our kids were little have moved on and with a couple of exceptions my work colleagues have not made the leap into "friend" status once I retired. My best friends here happen to be people who are long term expats like myself but I think that is coincidental. My friends at home are constant - perhaps because of a shared history at crucial developmental times - and whenever I go home and see them we just lapse straight into the conversation we were having on our last visit.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:03 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk
Judging by the lack of replies it appears expats don't mix with the locals but sit in front of the PC having banter with other expats!
Obviously not learnt the time difference between Oz and UK?? It was 4.30am when you posted your sarcastic response!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Friendships I have made here have been far more transient - maybe something to do with the mobility of the people but those friends made when our kids were little have moved on and with a couple of exceptions my work colleagues have not made the leap into "friend" status once I retired. My best friends here happen to be people who are long term expats like myself but I think that is coincidental. My friends at home are constant - perhaps because of a shared history at crucial developmental times - and whenever I go home and see them we just lapse straight into the conversation we were having on our last visit.

Totally agree and especially the highlighted sentence.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

I have been very very lucky to make a couple of very good friends here so quickly.

It has made such a difference to the settling in period for me... I feel like I have known them for ever!! I feel very comfortable with them - in that I would call for a cup of coffee without thinking about it, give them my last $5, look after their children & families etc but most importantly I feel I could cry on their shoulders and tell them my troubles ( if I have them)- thats a true friend for me and of those types I have a very small number.

Maybe I have just been lucky...
</IMG>
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Oop... Forgot to say...

My new close friends are exactly the same as my old close ones...

GENUINE!!!

And I am still looking for more friends too.....
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
I have been very very lucky to make a couple of very good friends here so quickly.

It has made such a difference to the settling in period for me... I feel like I have known them for ever!! I feel very comfortable with them - in that I would call for a cup of coffee without thinking about it, give them my last $5, look after their children & families etc but most importantly I feel I could cry on their shoulders and tell them my troubles ( if I have them)- thats a true friend for me and of those types I have a very small number.

Maybe I have just been lucky...
Me too - I was very lucky to meet my best mate Julia after only a few weeks of being here too. She has made a big impact on my life and I love her to bits. We have so much in common, right down to us actually dating the same guy (not at the same time though )
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Me too - I was very lucky to meet my best mate Julia after only a few weeks of being here too. She has made a big impact on my life and I love her to bits. We have so much in common, right down to us actually dating the same guy (not at the same time though )
For me meeting people like you & Julie made it so difficult for me to make new friends in other places.
Nobody comes into your leagues, I hope I get to see you next week, if you are not working hun.
I hear I've got to pack jumpers for next week.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:02 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

No one would ever compare to my best friend in the UK.....we have been through heaps together and even though we live so far apart i still feels as close to her now as i did then.......in fact next year she is moving here too so my friends wont differ here one bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.