Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

A lot of people talk about one of the benefits of being in Australia is being able to enjoy spending more time outdoors (which by the sounds of the quality of the TV is just as well). Do you find this is actually the case, and if so, how do you spend your time ?

As I am a golf nut I will certainly be looking to join a club, but that is not really any different to the UK, other than some more sunny days hopefully. As we would like to be within 15 - 20 minutes drive from the beach, I would like to be able to try out scuba diving, sailing, jet skiing and fishing. The idea of cooking a couple of freshly caught fish on the BBQ certainly appeals.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:19 am
crashbandicoot

Default Re: How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

Originally Posted by BenandPam
A lot of people talk about one of the benefits of being in Australia is being able to enjoy spending more time outdoors (which by the sounds of the quality of the TV is just as well). Do you find this is actually the case, and if so, how do you spend your time ?

As I am a golf nut I will certainly be looking to join a club, but that is not really any different to the UK, other than some more sunny days hopefully. As we would like to be within 15 - 20 minutes drive from the beach, I would like to be able to try out scuba diving, sailing, jet skiing and fishing. The idea of cooking a couple of freshly caught fish on the BBQ certainly appeals.
Good luck to you but I think you've been watching too much Home and Away!
Get a reality check - if you want a holiday in Oz then go down to Thomas Cook and book your few weeks and save yourself a fortune!
Reality will await you - take your rose tinted specs off...
Trudy

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:27 am

pom04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenandPam

ben and pam

We have been here a year in oz - the one limitation to a lot of things is the dark nights - winter here dark at 5pm - in summer like now - dark at 6.45pm - its limiting for us because we both work full time - however that doesnt stop u from doing things on an evevning eg fishing - swimming - walking - we spend little time indoors - watch hardly any tv - apart from the odd corrie video we get sent! I have turned into a real charlie dimmock over here - in england I never went near the garden except to have a smoke ! We do something different every weekend and are always out and about - feel better than I did in years !! By the way we have bbqs in summer nearly evry night!!!!!! Love it here - wouldnt return to the uk unless an absolute disastor occurred! Happy to help with any info u might need!

PS Originally from Huddersfield

Claire
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Ben and Pam
Ignore crash bandicoot, she obviously has manchester depression.
We have been here for a few months now and have lived here previously for a year. We manage daily runs down the beach and swim in the rock pools. We are going scuba diving next weekend and when our bikes arrive we will be mountainbiking. two weekends ago we went kayaking, and the weekend before that we had windsurfing lessons. Ina couple of weeks we will try kite boarding (I haven't told the wife this yet!!) We plan to go camping which we did loads of last time we were here and possibly fishing (although we probably are incapable of killing a fish!)
So yes, plenty of time to do whatever you want, so long as you are willing to find the time and make the effort to do so.
Best of luck
Nick
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

Perhaps you should also have a look at crashbandicoots interests.

"Sleeping"

Says it all
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crashbandicoot
Good luck to you but I think you've been watching too much Home and Away!
Get a reality check - if you want a holiday in Oz then go down to Thomas Cook and book your few weeks and save yourself a fortune!
Reality will await you - take your rose tinted specs off...
Trudy

Ohhhh thats a bit harsh!!!

To BenandPam,

Do you find this is actually the case, and if so, how do you spend your time ?
Certainly now we do, if I was back in the UK, I'd only be going out if absolutely necessary, here we sit on the patio in the evenings, chat, listen, watch the birds etc.

Depends where you are heading also. In Brisbane in the last few days I would really NOT have fancied walking round a golf course in this heat. I have a few garden projects I want to finish, but every day the idea of trying to dig in this heat puts me off.

So in answer to your question, yes we do spend more time outside, but NOT in the sun

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Hi
We have been here for just over two months and do spend more time on the barbie...however NOT outside as it's so hot. (Barbie is outside though!!!!)Think that is one thing you change about your mentality when you get here that rather than rushing for the sun you go and get a bit of sun and then sit in the shade. Love having beakfast under our own peach tree...haven't ripened yet but when they do we'll be eating peach pie, peach jam, etc and drinking peach wine (my student days all over again!!)...our son points at them and says 'ball, ball, ball, ball'!!!! He loves them!!!!
Happy in our peach paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

We were outdoor people in the UK ...and we do the same level now....!

Leopards Changing spots etc.....not worth changing countries for, if you did not do it before why are you going to do it now!!! Excuses excuses is all I hear!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
We were outdoor people in the UK ...and we do the same level now....!

Leopards Changing spots etc.....not worth changing countries for, if you did not do it before why are you going to do it now!!! Excuses excuses is all I hear!
Totally agree

There is plenty to do outside in the UK if you really want to.

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Totally agree

There is plenty to do outside in the UK if you really want to.

G
all true, and we were very outdoors in the UK. However we do far more here. Rarely watch tv and make the most of every weekend.

Life is what you make of it!

Nick
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by igual

Life is what you make of it!
Wherever you live.

I walk in the peak district most days, whatever the weather. Myself and friends will also fish through the night all winter.
All it takes is the right clothes.......and the right attitude.

G
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wherever you live.

I walk in the peak district most days, whatever the weather. Myself and friends will also fish through the night all winter.
All it takes is the right clothes.......and the right attitude.

G
Grayling
You are a sage!
Nick
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

We were quite indoorsy in Holland, and still are here during the week. The weekends we do more, but that isn't us really, it's our friends who think of stuff to do. And having more/better friends here, you're out and about more.

Nah, can't say I'm much more outdoors. Still watch a bit of tv, and on the computer heaps, especially during the week. Work all day, gets dark quite early, can't be bothered doing anything!

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:15 am
Cheeky

The only thing that puts me off being more outdoor at the moment is cos its blinkin freezin now in the Uk! We are never in during the summer. Eat outside (even brekki!!) at every opportunity, potter in the garden (Im in danger of sounding old, but who cares I like gardening!) Kids are out playing from dawn until dusk, etc, etc.

So I am hoping when we go live out in Oz to extend the amount of time we do spend outdoors. Its one of the reasons why we are going. Personally I think its what you make it, where ever you live! Just cos its freezing here I still have to take my dog out for a walk, so just get wrapped up and go. Doesnt seem so bad once Im out. But it is sooo much nicer if the weather is warmer!! Somebody pinch me quick Im dreaming again!! And yes I prob wear rosy glasses because I have never been to Oz.....But I am sure we all do from time to time and there is nothing wrong with that! IMHO of course!

Cheeky

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:17 am
crashbandicoot

Ben and Pam
Ignore crash bandicoot, she obviously has manchester depression.
We have been here for a few months now and have lived here previously for a year. We manage daily runs down the beach and swim in the rock pools. We are going scuba diving next weekend and when our bikes arrive we will be mountainbiking. two weekends ago we went kayaking, and the weekend before that we had windsurfing lessons. Ina couple of weeks we will try kite boarding (I haven't told the wife this yet!!) We plan to go camping which we did loads of last time we were here and possibly fishing (although we probably are incapable of killing a fish!)
So yes, plenty of time to do whatever you want, so long as you are willing to find the time and make the effort to do so.
Best of luck
Nick

igual
View Public Profile
Send a private message to igual
Send email to igual
Find More Posts by igual
Add igual to Your Buddy List

Today, 11:31 am #5
igual

Posts: 121 Re: How do you enjoy your new outdoor lifestyle ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps you should also have a look at crashbandicoots interests.

"Sleeping"

Says it all

Do you understand irony?
Why are my opinions not seen as valid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.