Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Old May 6th 2006, 9:03 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Are you ready for this...deep breath.....
We were trying to work out how you can get everything finalised with regards to completion on the house sale (so for eg you move out on a Friday, and want to fly out the following week or so, or even sooner. How do you get your final bills paid (utilities, council tax rebate maybe too?)

I was thinking of cancelling our mobile phone contracts end of may, giving them a months notice, then buying a pay as you go Sim or new phone that would work in oz, that seems straight forward enough.

But in our naivety we thought that we would probably complete on the house, move to mums for a night or so then fly out, but how can we????
Sorry to ramble, can someone shed some light as to how these things work!!!! how did you do it :scared:
Thanks
Old May 6th 2006, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Originally Posted by soonbethere

We were trying to work out how you can get everything finalised with regards to completion on the house sale (so for eg you move out on a Friday, and want to fly out the following week or so, or even sooner. How do you get your final bills paid (utilities, council tax rebate maybe too?)

I was thinking of cancelling our mobile phone contracts end of may, giving them a months notice, then buying a pay as you go Sim or new phone that would work in oz, that seems straight forward enough.

But in our naivety we thought that we would probably complete on the house, move to mums for a night or so then fly out, but how can we????
Sorry to ramble, can someone shed some light as to how these things work!!!! how did you do it :scared:
Thanks
Get all your bills forwarded to your Mum's address, leave her some money to cover it and away you go. Tell her to buy something nice with the change.

That's what we are going to do anyway.
Old May 6th 2006, 9:18 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Originally Posted by WendyC
Get all your bills forwarded to your Mum's address, leave her some money to cover it and away you go. Tell her to buy something nice with the change.

Yeah thats a bloody good option!! thanks!!
Old May 6th 2006, 9:19 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

We moved to PAYG 3 months before moving. All utilities and phone can be paid on the day you leave. Most would appreciate more than 72 hours prewarning so they can arrange for metres to be read.

We sold our cars and used some cheap hacks from local dealer for last 6 weeks then rented a car for last week.

Our container left on a Friday. We left the property on the Monday and stayed the night in a hotel at the airport. Flew out on the Tuesday.

My approach was we are leaving the country and wish to settle our accounts - no we dont have a f### forwarding address and yes we have cancelled our direct debits (in case they try to pull a fast one and incorrectly bill us knowing we are unable to do anything about it).

kiwi
Old May 6th 2006, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah thats a bloody good option!! thanks!!
I have had it all planned for over a year, can you tell
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We've slowly been cancelling everything. The phones were easy since we had a couple of (fairly unique) Virgin tarif sims on Orange (kind of PAYG but monthly!!) - must admit I enjoyed making that call to O2 - even let them put me through to the special don't-leave-us department. Cancelled the Sky telly (missed the live pause on my Sky+ box but that's about it), cancelled the gym, cancelled anything non-essential - partly to save money, partly to save time later on.
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Some shippers can be a little flexible with dates if not to busy. Also if you are with NTL start cancellation now as it can take months to sort them out .

Jo
Old May 6th 2006, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by joho
Some shippers can be a little flexible with dates if not to busy. Also if you are with NTL start cancellation now as it can take months to sort them out .

Jo

We have cable and I am going to ring them and give them one months notice. I will tell them that if they don't collect their box they will find it in the garden as I will be in Australia after that. If they think I'm posting it from there they are VERY wrong.

Believe me, they will come and collect it
Old May 6th 2006, 9:32 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joho

Jo
Yes, get it all forwarded to your mums (that's if she's still talking to you after emirgrating which I think mine probably won't be!!)

Sorry Wendy - no offence to your advice!

Jane
Old May 6th 2006, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PJA
Yes, get it all forwarded to your mums (that's if she's still talking to you after emirgrating which I think mine probably won't be!!)

Sorry Wendy - no offence to your advice!

Jane

It makes me realise how lucky we are (or not depending on how you look at it)

My Mum passed away in 2004, my Dad in 1999 and hubby's parents are emigrating to Turkey, so I haven't got that problem.

I really feel for those of you who have parents who feel the need to make you feel guilty. It's just not fair.

My son wanted to stay here to fininsh his studies. I would never dream of making him feel guilty for wanting to do that. He will be 19 soon and I believe that if that's what he wants then who am I to stand in his way. I don't really like the idea, but it's his life and he has to do what he feels is best for his future.
Old May 6th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC

I took this one step further,re-directed everything to my mum,but also set up a joint account with her & left money in it. Very useful in first few weeks,as we didn't set up a bank account in oz before we came,so we used Nationwide debit card over here for first few weeks,we used them as they don't charge to use your card abroad. We have also used it to buy bigger items,fridge,TV etc,as when we got our oz bank account,there was a limit of $1000 a day,so it was useless for buying all the initial things,like beds etc.
Also,we got a few refund cheques back in UK from things like car insurance & TV licence,so she paid them in for us. And now when it comes to birthdays & X-mas she can put money in for the kids & I can just spend it on the debit card.
A word on utilities,I was told I could pay them the day I cancelled,but I remember the phone,I had to give BT an exact leaving time & day,then they send the bill the week after. And I'm not sure,which but either gas or electric wouldn't let me pay over the phone,& send a final account out later.
I know we left sky too late,& the people who bought our house got about 3 weeks worth of free sky!
Good luck with the move and don't stree too much,everything always works out in the end,whether you stress or not
Old May 6th 2006, 11:55 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

When I left, all the money from the sale of the house after the mortgage was paid off went into the current account. had the bills forwarded to a trusted friend who I called to find out how much they were and just logged online to the current account and did the bill pays in the usual way that I normally did.

After everything was clear, I did a transfer from the UK to my US checking, done deal.

I left a bit in just in case I had forgotten anything and also so I could easily pay of the credit card that I still had from there as I used that until I was settled and had done th transfer.
Old May 7th 2006, 6:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We did sell one day and fly out the next. We stayed in a local hotel that night.

All the utilities were told in advance to read meters the sale day and post the final bills to relative in Australia. We then paid them online from our UK account.

We had a first class solicitor who produced a final account several days in advance saying exactly what would be the nett cash from the sale: he took Tranzfers account details and we arranged for them to transfer that amount to our Oz account.

(As it happened, on the day, our solicitor actually transferred about £40 more to Tranzfers - he said the proceeds from the sale were in his account for 45 minutes and that was the interest - can you believe it? <g>))

We sold the big car to an aquaintance in advance - he let us keep it the last three weeks and then drove us to the airport before handing over the cheque and taking the registration over - so we even saved the taxi fare!

It takes a bit of organising but it *can* work out if you plan ahead!
Old May 7th 2006, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

We still haven't completed but we have left our UK bank accounts open with money in so the direct debits are still getting paid. We're hoping to exchange this week and complete Friday. Then the proceeds will be sent to our joint UK account and sit there for the time being.

Don't get me started on NTL though...
Old May 7th 2006, 7:54 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we had a buyer with no chain, for completion we said could not move out before end of Jan, and buyer set a date in Feb, with contracts exchanged v early Jan.
OH gave warning of 3mth notice when offer was made & accepted, saying it poss it could fall through and then precise dat when we had aggreed completion.

Shippers came in on the Thurs, found out I was pregnant on the Friday, Sat got car back after being fixed from car crash (long story and one major pain in the rear), visited friends with their newborn on Sun, Mon took car to dealer who had said a price (not great but given circumstances ie car crash was good enough) they dropped me off back 'home', flew out Tues, house completed on Fri.

Post was forwarded to my parents to partially sort - some bills, throw obvious junk, and forward the rest to us. When we renew the forwarding soon we will do it directly to here now we have an address.

Bills were ok apart from phoneline/broadband. We had BT for phone line and UK Online broadband (what is known as local loop unbundled - they, not BT, provided all the ADSL kit in the BT exchange) had been told by both companies that all could be cancelled on day we move out - BS - It took 15 working days to unlink the broadband and BT would not touch it until it was unlinked. Bit of a problem with phoneline in our name with house soon not to be ours - despite many calls right up until (plane) boarding time the only solution they would act upon was for us to pay £25 to barr outgoing calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.