Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how do you cope without your family?

how do you cope without your family?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

rupert_pumpkin will become famous soon enough
Default how do you cope without your family?

considering moving to aus with my gf, apart from irn bru and the football, the only thing that's stopping me is i can't comprehend not being able to visit my mum and dad when i want to.

how do people over there cope with this?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:56 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: how do you cope without your family?

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin
considering moving to aus with my gf, apart from irn bru and the football, the only thing that's stopping me is i can't comprehend not being able to visit my mum and dad when i want to.

Hi there.

Leaving friends and family is one of the hardest things about emmigrating.

Im hoping to go to Australia and we are a long way off.

The thing that keeps me going and I know others that are already there and do this, is the fact that when your family come and see you, they really will have somewhere fantastic to visit.

My mum started off by saying 'I cant afford to go there'

But flights are getting cheaper all the time and although it sounds alot to some, you are only 2 days away.

I dont know your situation, but my family have heard me go on about it for so long, they have seen my piccies of the barrier reef and my video.

Now they want to come. They dont have much money, but it has given them something to aim for.

There is nothing like preparing them early. I know it will still hit them and you hard when it happens, but start discussing it now, showing them pictures ect.

The world is getting smaller so to speak, your life will never be long enough.

Make the most of it.

love Sam

Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:47 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: how do you cope without your family?

Originally Posted by rupert_pumpkin

Hiya,
I'm planning on leveing the country & going to the other side of the plannet

Seriously,I expect by the time I eventually get to go they might be no longer with us, harsh thing to say, but they are getting on & i'm still in the Uk.

You hasve to live life for yourself, they realise this and I try not to blub when I think about it. No easy answer, it's hard.

I'm just a big softry realy.

It's hard!

Mark