Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you achieve Defacto?

How do you achieve Defacto?

Old Sep 14th 2002, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you achieve Defacto?

This is a question that often crossed my mind?
Before my 457 visa was accepted in Australia, I was on a Tourist Visa, and had been with my boyfriend around 2months and realised that I would have to exit the country to comply with the 90days limit.
When I asked immigration should the situation arise that we wanted to claim defacto status(yes premature but you never know?) How would we do that? if I had to exit the country every 90days, with the chance of not been accepted going, backwards and forwards on a Tourist visa, as they even said to me you may well be questioned why you are coming back in a third time in 1year and could be refused if you say you are living with someone.?
Luckily my 457 came threw after my 2nd entry into the country but what would a couple do in this situation?
They are told you have to be together 12 months to claim de-facto status, but could refuse you entry to acheve this, a little bazaar.
p.s it lasted neally 3 years lol
Susanna
Old Sep 14th 2002, 7:14 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: How do you achieve Defacto?

[i]
p.s it lasted neally 3 years lol
Susanna

So it was a boyfriend then and not de-facto

I'm in a de-facto relationship, and had no prob's with the immigration here in Australia, getting visas. my partner and I are both PR.. No prob's
I read your post, and didn't know where to begin... so many things.... really.

How do you prove you're in a de - facto relationship?, start by showing you have shared expenses, such as bills, bank accounts, etc , etc

You can't honestly think that any immigration official will think a two month relationship between boyfriend and girlfriend is in a de- facto relationship.

Cheers")
Old Sep 14th 2002, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you achieve Defacto?

Originally posted by Ceri:

So it was a boyfriend then and not de-facto

I'm in a de-facto relationship, and had no prob's with the immigration here in Australia, getting visas. my partner and I are both PR.. No prob's
I read your post, and didn't know where to begin... so many things.... really.

How do you prove you're in a de - facto relationship?, start by showing you have shared expenses, such as bills, bank accounts, etc , etc

You can't honestly think that any immigration official will think a two month relationship between boyfriend and girlfriend is in a de- facto relationship.

Cheers")

Oh sorry I don't think I explained it very well.
I realise totally that a 2month relationship, would not be considered.
What I was trying to say was how can you, achieve the beginning of the de-facto relationship after 12months, if immigration are not going to allow you in and out of the country to qualify in the first place.
Thankyou for your reply