Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do we put vids onto dvd

How do we put vids onto dvd

Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

nicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to allnicky m is a name known to all
Default How do we put vids onto dvd

Hi

ive been told that videos deteriorate in the heat and since we have some important things such as first steps and wedding on vid would like to transfer to dvd. Could someone please let me know how i can go about this.

Thanks
Nicky
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:10 pm
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How do we put vids onto dvd

Originally Posted by nicky m
Hi

ive been told that videos deteriorate in the heat and since we have some important things such as first steps and wedding on vid would like to transfer to dvd. Could someone please let me know how i can go about this.

Thanks
Nicky
one option is to get a DVD recorder and a Video player , plug a SCART lead into the back of each, set DVD recorder to AUX and press record while pressing play on the video.
job done.
Or take it to a place that will do it for a fee look in the yellow pages
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:02 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do we put vids onto dvd

Originally Posted by nicky m
Hi

Thanks
Nicky
If you have a reasonably good PC you can buy a whole kit for around $100. For that you get a hardware card which will have the inputs to match the camcorder outputs (or a VCR outputs) and software that allows you to record from a tape to your PC hard drive form which you can thend edit and burn a DVD. Into the bargain you should then be able to receive TV onto your PC effectively turning it into a hard drive TV recorder thingy.

Here's an example:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH0409

You can buy similar in Aldi for about $70
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:18 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
If you have a reasonably good PC you can buy a whole kit for around $100. For that you get a hardware card which will have the inputs to match the camcorder outputs (or a VCR outputs) and software that allows you to record from a tape to your PC hard drive form which you can thend edit and burn a DVD. Into the bargain you should then be able to receive TV onto your PC effectively turning it into a hard drive TV recorder thingy.

Here's an example:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH0409

You can buy similar in Aldi for about $70
I've been thinking about doing this for a while, any idea what sort of space gets taken up on the HD by say a 240min video?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:22 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I've been thinking about doing this for a while, any idea what sort of space gets taken up on the HD by say a 240min video?
I transferred a 1.5hr 8mm tape to HD and it took up about 3.5GB, so less than one DVD.

I think that recording directly from a TV tuner is similar but recording the High Definition TV channels appears to be more like 8-12GB per hour.

If doing this often and if your hard drvie is 'small' the way to go is jst add on an external hard drive for about $1 per GB of storage
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:35 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I transferred a 1.5hr 8mm tape to HD and it took up about 3.5GB, so less than one DVD.

I think that recording directly from a TV tuner is similar but recording the High Definition TV channels appears to be more like 8-12GB per hour.

If doing this often and if your hard drvie is 'small' the way to go is jst add on an external hard drive for about $1 per GB of storage
Thanks for that, i'll definitely be needing to go down the external route, my machines only got a 20GB drive I think.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:50 am
Karma Comedian

New 200GB external hard drives seem to generally go for about $100 - $130 on Ebay.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 6:48 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a cheap DVD recorder and transfered all the tapes.
Cost me about £60

Suni