Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do we best get e-mail/Internet Access in initial Furnished Rental?

Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:03 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default How do we best get e-mail/Internet Access in initial Furnished Rental?

Can anyone advise the best way to get connected when we rent furnished for the first 3-4 weeks, as apparently the property is without a phone.
Some serious job hunting will be required after the first few days so some connection is essential.
I've got a laptop so would prefer to send/receive from this rather than have to visit the library/internet cafe.
Obviously connecting via a mobile phone is a possibility but probably not the cheapest option.
I'm waiting to find out whether the property has a land line which is not connected. How much would it cost / how long would it take to get this connected (landlady permitting)?
(We're in the property from Friday 29th).
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:06 am
Coogee Rocks

Default Re: How do we best get e-mail/Internet Access in initial Furnished Rental?

Originally Posted by bal56
Can anyone advise the best way to get connected when we rent furnished for the first 3-4 weeks, as apparently the property is without a phone.
Some serious job hunting will be required after the first few days so some connection is essential.
I've got a laptop so would prefer to send/receive from this rather than have to visit the library/internet cafe.
Obviously connecting via a mobile phone is a possibility but probably not the cheapest option.
I'm waiting to find out whether the property has a land line which is not connected. How much would it cost / how long would it take to get this connected (landlady permitting)?
(We're in the property from Friday 29th).
Sounds like you could use Wireless internet via something like Iburst..can be quite expensive but should be OK if your not downloading lots and easier then the cafes'
Check out http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:08 am
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do we best get e-mail/Internet Access in initial Furnished Rental?

If you go into a few of the electronic / computer shops, there's a few wirless broadband kits out. They work well and you can take them wherever there is coverge, including the beach.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:27 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

All rental properties have the phone disconnected when the previous tenant moves out. The actual line is still there. It's up to you to reconnect it.
You don't need permission from the landlady, as it'll be in your name & you pay the bill.

Check out: www.iinet.net.au

Excellent ISP. Superfast broadband with full (cheap) phone service for $49 per month.
Been using them for 2 years & can't fault them.
One call to iinet gets your home phone & internet all up and running in one go.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It costs about $100 to change address with ADSL. You can get ADSL on a normal phone line as long as the copper is good enough to the exxhange and isn't on pair gain.

Watch out for aanet and exetel at the moment as the 2 are having a spat over money. One party is in the wrong and as an aanet customer I hope it is not aanet.

Internode and iinet both get good press. For all the latest info checkout www.whirlpool.net .
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:34 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

"All rental properties have the phone disconnected when the previous tenant moves out. The actual line is still there. It's up to you to reconnect it.
You don't need permission from the landlady, as it'll be in your name & you pay the bill."

I hope this is the case Scossie. The property is more of a holiday let I think, so may not have had previous long term tenants. I still think a property without a phone line's pretty unlikely in this day and age though.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

"All rental properties have the phone disconnected when the previous tenant moves out. The actual line is still there. It's up to you to reconnect it.
You don't need permission from the landlady, as it'll be in your name & you pay the bill."

I hope this is the case Scossie. The property is more of a holiday let I think, so may not have had previous long term tenants. I still think a property without a phone line's pretty unlikely in this day and age though.
I second that IINET recommendation, I also use them for cheapish calls to the UK at $2.50 per hour.

If they don't have a phone line I'd start to worry about electricity, water and sewage . Maybe a call / email to your friendly Telstra man can help.

Papa Z
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rent a place that supplies a phone with free local phone calls, electricity & a computer & internet access all included .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 21st 2005 at 6:06 am. Reason: cant type!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Rent a place that supplies a phone with free local phone calls, electricity & a computer & internet access all included .
Free phone, electricity and Internet? What sort of landlord would offer such a generous short-term furnished rental available in the Brisbane area?

Sorry I'm just dmob happy, woo hoo its a long weekend for me!!

Z
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zentack
Free phone, electricity and Internet? What sort of landlord would offer such a generous short-term furnished rental available in the Brisbane area?

Have a good weekend
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:21 am
Alive and boinging!

How late would Singapore accept a destination change to Brisbane? 6 days before?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:47 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

She is shameless
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Zentack]Free phone, electricity and Internet? What sort of landlord would offer such a generous short-term furnished rental available in the Brisbane area?

We do......but then again we are in Perth.
Check us out at www.northperthrentals.com
We also include airport pickup, essential food supplies, hire car arrangements.

You name it......we will help.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:02 am
Alive and boinging!

Making progress here - the landlady has called Telstra - $49 reconnection fee ($125 if they need to access the property).
I now need to recommend a 'package' - I'll study the iinet options. Before looking I assume sophisticated broadband options etc. probably have the 12 month minimum term, like the UK. Obviously not practical for a single month's rent, unless our landlady wants to make an investment.
PS I've volunteered to pay for the reconnection. I think the problem is that I've booked a (very nice sounding) holiday let rather than a 'relocation' type place.
Thanks for all the advice folks. Another hurdle nearly overcome!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

Cheapest way to call oz visa versa, was a thread started by threlly on apr 19th. I tried to attch it but i dont know how

Some good info there re 'free' calls from computer to computer.

If you use the search button, type in computer and its on page 3.
Hope this helps.

Shona

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.