Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do usenet users do that?

How do usenet users do that?

Old Nov 29th 2002, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default How do usenet users do that?

Sorry - not, strictly speaking, an OZ/NZ question here, although I'm inquiring mainly so that I can post/reply to messages in general OZ/NZ newsgroups that BE doesn't access.... (course, if BE accessed those groups I wouldn't have this problem, hint hint)

Can anyone *please* tell me where (if it's even possible) to get for free an anonymous user name/e-mail address for posting on usenet forums? I notice that most usenet users have 'fictitious' usernames and/or e-mail addresses, to avoid spam. How did they manage that??? From what I can tell I have to use my real name and e-mail address if I want to sign up for usenet access through, say, Google Groups - and I really don't want to open myself up to 5 million advertisers just waiting to pounce. I HAVE found one site that offers anonymous sign-up for a monthly fee but a) I'd rather not pay if I don't have to and b) I have no way of telling whether this is a legitimate firm or not.

So how have all these usenet users managed to get into the newsgroups without using their real e-mail addresses?
(ex: '[email protected]')

Thanks,
TA
Old Nov 29th 2002, 5:38 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do usenet users do that?

You can open a yahoo.com account, say [email protected]

Then sign up to google using this account. Of course, you will still have your regular [email protected] account.

Then you can just let the NOSPAM account lapse.

My google.com account contains an expired email, which I use to post from Google, now that BE seems to be suffering from synchronization problems with Usenet.

Peter