Reload this Page >

how do the kids cope!!

how do the kids cope!!

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

nipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how do the kids cope!!

hi,
its me again! few glasses of wine and the questions start!
ive two kids 8 and 12 years. have other peoples children coped ok with the move to oz? i think that i will be able to settle much easier if the kids are ok! how did people prepare their children?
what were the main difficulties?
are they happier there than in the uk?
worried parent!!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We haven't got there yet but I am lucky as all of my kids can't wait to go! Even my 13 yr old is desperate to get out there, he has a thing about reptiles so we have promised him one as a pet!
The best advice I can give is to get them involved in all of the plans early on. Show them the houses, beaches, swiming pools and even schools on the net, this should drum up the excitement a bit for them.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

laverda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default agreeishhhh

i agree to some respect....if ure def going then involve them as much as pos..if ure still waiting then i wood keep ure cards close to ure chest...nothing kids hate more than disapointment..
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: how do the kids cope!!

Hi can only comment on 8 yr old, our son didn't moan or say he missed England at all, sometimes mentions his best friend from home but he has generally settled into school and life very well and made friends easily, he loves all the sporty things they do here and is on his 4th pair of trainers this year

I hope your 2 settle well

Diane

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Hi

My two boys are aged 8 and 12 and we've been here 3 months. They seem to have settled in really well. They haven't made many friends out of school hours yet but that doesn't seem to worry them too much at the moment.

The school is literally at the top of the garden and when they come home from school they literally get their swimmers on and spend an hour in the pool playing together.

My husband is still unsettled and the children overheard him say that he may well return to the U.K. in the future. They both reacted very vocally at the prospect of leaving 'wonderful' Australia so that kind of confirms that they are happy to stay.

My 12 year old did have a temporary blip last week and spent the evening in floods of tears saying that he missed his friends. but then we all do and this is just part of the process.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how do the kids cope!!

Originally posted by nipper
hi,
its me again! few glasses of wine and the questions start!
ive two kids 8 and 12 years. have other peoples children coped ok with the move to oz? i think that i will be able to settle much easier if the kids are ok! how did people prepare their children?
what were the main difficulties?
are they happier there than in the uk?
worried parent!!
Hi well my kids r girl nearly 14 and boy 11, been in victoria 8 weeks and boy settled good , doesnt ask about uk too much, daughter is a bit homesick, understandable, left a lot of great friends behind, i not sure whether i will spend rest of my life here, hubby happy as larry, but all i say is we can return to uk but we have to give it a fair shot for at least 3 yrs , due to hubbys job, we are commited, cost us nothing to come, hubbys firm payed so got to make the best of it...Saying we can return has made daughter relax a bit more so dont worry, it is a bit hard and if the kids are happy then i am even though i do get homesick but it is something i keep to myself , as it would affect the kids...Mine were both involved from the start and had mixed reactions but tell them everything, and mostly reassure them it does help...keep them informed of everything thats goin on...Hope this helps..Jan Hutchinson