British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do I set up a PO Box number in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-i-set-up-po-box-number-oz-108301/)

Jacqui May 13th 2002 1:41 pm

How do I set up a PO Box number in Oz?

We don't want to redirect all our mail to my sister's house, she lives a long way from where we hope to settle, and there's a chance we could be moving about a few times before we find our "dream" house. I want to get our post redirected to a po box number for the first year - can anyone point me to a website for this please?

Alan Collett May 13th 2002 1:57 pm

Re: How do I set up a PO Box number in Oz?

Hi Jacqui.

Try this site:
http://www.australiapost.com.au/index.asp?link_id=1.404

Australia Post can be called in Australia on 13 13 18 - you might be able to call them from the UK on 00 61 13 13 18.

Hope this helps.

sophia May 13th 2002 2:05 pm

Hi Jacqui/Alan

Been there, done that....apparently Australia Post will not issue you with a PO Box number unless you are already in Oz. See reply sent to me:

Thanks for your enquiry Sophie, Unfortunately Australia Post are unable to
issue you a P.O Box until you arrive in the country and apply yourself in
person. The reason for this, is we require identification with your name,
your Australian address and also payment.
In the mean time if you require mail to be sent to an address in Australia,
the only suggestion I have is to send the mail care of a post office (post
restante) and the mail will be held at the post office of your choice for a
period of one month.

Sophie if you need further information or clarification please reply to this
E-mail.

Regards
Con
Team Leader
Customer Care Centre
9299- 4424

Australia Post is committed to providing our customers with excellent service. If we can assist you in any way please either telephone 13 13 18 or visit our website www.auspost.com.au

However, DPR from this site sent me this email:

Sophia

The franchise place for Perth is:

Mail Boxes Etc. # AU6048
301-303 ALBANY HIGHWAY
VICTORIA PARK, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6100
AUSTRALIA
Telephone +61-8-9355-5666
Fax +61-8-9355-5655
Email [email protected]

I have just emailed them to find out whether or not they will rent a box to somebody who is still outside Oz.

I'm waiting on a reply from him as to whether we can get a po box through these or not.

love sophia x

dpr May 13th 2002 4:20 pm

You can get a box from Mail Boxes etc - I haven't actually followed it up yet. Just use the contact details above and email them

dpr

Jacqui May 14th 2002 7:36 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, I knew I could count on this board to get the answer, I'll go and check out Mail Boxes etc. now.

flyingemerald May 15th 2002 9:26 am

Jacqui,
As I found, you cannot set up a P.O. Box unless you apply in person. Have found another mail forwarding service at -www.members.ozemail.com.au who offer a forwarding service to anywhere in Oz until anyone gets settled with a proper address or P.O. Box close to where they are. Appears to be a good service but no personal experience yet.

flyingemerald May 15th 2002 9:36 am

Jacqui,
As I found, you cannot set up a P.O. Box unless you apply in person. Have found another mail forwarding service at -www.members.ozemail.com.au who offer a forwarding service to anywhere in Oz until anyone gets settled with a proper address or P.O. Box close to where they are. Appears to be a good service but no personal experience yet.

pread Jul 11th 2002 11:37 am

Flying Emerald,

Just checked out the Ozemail site you mentioned. I couldn't find any reference to snail-mail mailboxes, but only to a POP email forwarding service. Maybe there's a more detailed link, or it isn't what you thought it was ?

Emmarr Jul 11th 2002 10:20 pm

Question regarding mailboxes in Oz:

Is it possible to use them when applying for the tax ID number, bank accounts,
drivers license, etc.? You can't use them for those purposes in the US - you have to
have a street number.

Also, it doesn't mention it on:
http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080...7EMO19,00.html But, according to
another poster an Australian address is needed in order to get a mailbox. How would
you be able to provide that when you're in the process of settling down ...

Thanks.

pread Jul 12th 2002 1:28 pm

Although no mention is made of a PO Box service on their website http://www.mbe.com.au, I mailed these guys anyway and got this reply :
Yes we could allocate a mail box for you before you arrive here however we have strict rules regarding identification of mailbox clients & proof of contact details which would have to be met prior to issue of keys and pick up any mail.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed, when you want the service to begin & how long after that you would arrive and will fax or email the required form & rental agreement.
Unquote.

I've requested more info, I'll post should I receive anything useful. But I'm also investigating another option, which is to get a friend to setup the PO Box at a local post office. I'll send them the money for a year's rental, then they'll give me the key when I arrive...

pread Jul 25th 2002 7:09 am

Got the mailbox confirmed today. They actually call it a 'suite' - fancy name, same thing. I actually rang the company to confirm I could use multiple addressees to the mailbox, as my wife still goes by her maiden name. Very helpful, confirmed they would accept pretty much any name, as long as :
a) you were not collecting mail for 20-30 different people, and
b) they would block certain names at your request, if you were receiving junk mail, or mail not for you.

Costs as follows :
Personal Size (90 mm wide x 130 mm high) $A 169.00
Business Size (130 mm wide x 160 mm high) $A 247.00
Corporate Size (270 mm wide x 160 mm high) $A 325.00
(All mail boxes are 350 mm deep)

Plus a key deposit of $25.00 for the front door key. The door key deposit is refundable on return of the keys, should you no longer require the box.