Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I get a Tax File Number??

How do I get a Tax File Number??

Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

StuffedShirt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get a Tax File Number??

Hi- does anyone know how I get a Tax File Number?? Im going soon on a 457 and my employer has sent me stuff to complete which requires me to have a TFN. Do I already have it and am I being stupid??

If not- should they know it or is there something I dont know about that I should have done already.... ????

No idea....

Rachael
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:48 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get a Tax File Number??

Originally Posted by StuffedShirt
Hi- does anyone know how I get a Tax File Number?? Im going soon on a 457 and my employer has sent me stuff to complete which requires me to have a TFN. Do I already have it and am I being stupid??

If not- should they know it or is there something I dont know about that I should have done already.... ????

No idea....

Rachael

You have to be in Australia to apply for one:
https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StuffedShirt

No idea....

Rachael
www.ato.gov.au
But you won't be able to get one until you are in the country - it detects when your visa has been activated, and then you can apply online.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You have to be in Australia to apply for one:
https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1
Snap Blinking broadband posters, far too quick
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:51 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Snap Blinking broadband posters, far too quick
You'd have been a poor third if Wendy was online
Old Dec 5th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
www.ato.gov.au
But you won't be able to get one until you are in the country - it detects when your visa has been activated, and then you can apply online.
I have validated my visa so can I apply for the tax file number whilst still in the UK? Will be heading to Brisbane June / July.

Thanks

Lone Ranger
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I have validated my visa so can I apply for the tax file number whilst still in the UK? Will be heading to Brisbane June / July.

Thanks

Lone Ranger
As far as I know, you need an Oz address to get the letter with the number sent to. Why all the rush to pay tax?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
As far as I know, you need an Oz address to get the letter with the number sent to. Why all the rush to pay tax?
No rush, just curious, I've plenty of tax ahead of me so the tax file number can wait!