British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do I get a new SIM card in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-i-get-new-sim-card-uk-306215/)

Wol Jun 1st 2005 10:35 am

How do I get a new SIM card in the UK?

About to go back to the UK for a first vacation there: I have had Virgin "unlock" (whatever that means!) my Nokia phone. I am told I just have to buy a prepaid SIM to be able to use it in the UK. I merely want it for the odd call while I am travelling around there.

Where do I buy these, please? And does it come with a new number? I assume that when I get back to Oz I swap the UK one back to my Virgin prepaid one and am back to normal?....

boom_meringue Jun 1st 2005 10:37 am

Re: How do I get a new SIM card in the UK?

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
About to go back to the UK for a first vacation there: I have had Virgin "unlock" (whatever that means!) my Nokia phone. I am told I just have to buy a prepaid SIM to be able to use it in the UK. I merely want it for the odd call while I am travelling around there.

Where do I buy these, please? And does it come with a new number? I assume that when I get back to Oz I swap the UK one back to my Virgin prepaid one and am back to normal?....

when you get ot the UK go into carphone warehouse or the link and they will sell you a prepaid sim pack (for about £15) and you can put the sim in your phone and away you go. You will then be able to swap back to your old sim when you retunr to Oz. The new number for your UK prepaid will be on the box when they sell you the sim pack

Lee Family Jun 1st 2005 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

Just go into any mobile phone shop and buy one, they usually come with £1 credit on them. you can add credit at all sorts of places now from petrol stations to supermarkets, you will have to register it before using it but where you buy it from should help with this. yes it will come with a new number and yes you just swap it back when you get home.

Jon

Ransi Jun 1st 2005 10:51 am

I just bought one on e-bay for £2.99 + £2 p+p....phoned to register it then told if I'd have gone to the shop I could have purchased for a £1!!!!

Wol Jun 1st 2005 10:55 am

Thanks everyone: confusion cleared up!

OzTennis Jun 1st 2005 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
when you get ot the UK go into carphone warehouse or the link and they will sell you a prepaid sim pack (for about £15) and you can put the sim in your phone and away you go. You will then be able to swap back to your old sim when you retunr to Oz. The new number for your UK prepaid will be on the box when they sell you the sim pack

So a 'down under' question to that posed by Rog. I can do the same when I go to Oz with my UK phone? i.e. remove the SIM card and just buy a prepaid SIM pack when there, revert to the former SIM on return, different number for each SIM.

(It is a 4 year old BT, now O2, prepay phone, never used for texting, no Crazy Frog ringtone, camera etc). Any suggestions on best operator/coverage in Oz (Vic), and approximate cost of prepaid SIM would be much appreciated. Does it matter what type of phone it is as to which SIM you can use (mine's a Motorola).

OzTennis :)

seang Jun 1st 2005 11:10 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So a 'down under' question to that posed by Rog. I can do the same when I go to Oz with my UK phone? i.e. remove the SIM card and just buy a prepaid SIM pack when there, revert to the former SIM on return, different number for each SIM.

Yes but make sure your phone isnt locked. Get another SIM (friends , wife) etc and see if it accepts it straight away. If not you will get message on the phone display and you will need to contact your provider in UK to talk you through unlocking phone.

Wol Jun 1st 2005 11:10 am

I might be able to answer that one, OT!

If it's a black, O2 - type phone with the little green hanset icon, you will probably be out of luck. I tried several places before I left the UK and none of them could unlock it: apparently this Philips model is a sod!

I did try phoning O2 and they promised to send me the details of how to - but after a month I was ready to leave, hadn't heard anything and chucked it away...

boom_meringue Jun 1st 2005 11:12 am

(It is a 4 year old BT, now O2, prepay phone, never used for texting, no Crazy Frog ringtone, camera etc). Any suggestions on best operator/coverage in Oz (Vic), and approximate cost of prepaid SIM would be much appreciated. Does it matter what type of phone it is as to which SIM you can use (mine's a Motorola).

short answer is yes it does matter. Whilst the wireless frequencies are similar (900 and 1800 mhz), if you are coming form the USA you will need a triband phone. Coming from the UK you will be ok and you can get a Vodafone red sim prepaid card and their call charges are here . You are with O2 so your mobile will be ok, they don't simlock their phones.

edited to add: you SHOULD be ok as I have not come across an O2 phone with a simlock in my 6 years in the industry

OzTennis Jun 1st 2005 11:35 am

short answer is yes it does matter. Whilst the wireless frequencies are similar (900 and 1800 mhz), if you are coming form the USA you will need a triband phone. Coming from the UK you will be ok and you can get a Vodafone red sim prepaid card and their call charges are here . You are with O2 so your mobile will be ok, they don't simlock their phones.

edited to add: you SHOULD be ok as I have not come across an O2 phone with a simlock in my 6 years in the industry

That's very helpful Steve (apologies if it's Clare, sexist eh!!). I think it is a Motorola T180 (Blue) from memory and as I said it is with O2. My wife has the same phone so I'll try the swap the SIM card trick and if OK I'll get a prepaid SIM at Melbourne Airport. If a cheap prepay phone is not much more expensive than the prepay SIM I might just buy the former.

Many thanks again

Just as a matter of interest, is it the network operator or the manufacturer who will lock the SIM? Perhaps it varies as to whether it is prepay or monthly rental and from operator to operator and from manufacturer to manufacturer!

boom_meringue Jun 1st 2005 11:44 am

That's very helpful Steve (apologies if it's Clare, sexist eh!!). I think it is a Motorola T180 (Blue) from memory and as I said it is with O2. My wife has the same phone so I'll try the swap the SIM card trick and if OK I'll get a prepaid SIM at Melbourne Airport. If a cheap prepay phone is not much more expensive than the prepay SIM I might just buy the former.

Many thanks again

Just as a matter of interest, is it the network operator or the manufacturer who will lock the SIM? Perhaps it varies as to whether it is prepay or monthly rental and from operator to operator and from manufacturer to manufacturer!

you're welcome, it is Steve by the way.

It's the network operator who asks the manufacturer to simlock the phone when the software is loaded onto the phone - usually prepaid phones are more likely to be locked but I know that Orange & Vodafone lock their conatrct phones too. I have got an old O2 contract phone which I am now using with Vodafone but my brand new Vodafone nokia won't accept an O2 or Orange sim. There's an easy way to find out if your phone is locked, get a family member with a different network phone to lend you their sim for a minute, if your phone won't start up with their sim in it then you need to get it sorted (about £4 in your local market or look out for small indepandant phone accessory shops that will do it).

OzTennis Jun 1st 2005 11:54 am

you're welcome, it is Steve by the way.

It's the network operator who asks the manufacturer to simlock the phone when the software is loaded onto the phone - usually prepaid phones are more likely to be locked but I know that Orange & Vodafone lock their conatrct phones too. I have got an old O2 contract phone which I am now using with Vodafone but my brand new Vodafone nokia won't accept an O2 or Orange sim. There's an easy way to find out if your phone is locked, get a family member with a different network phone to lend you their sim for a minute, if your phone won't start up with their sim in it then you need to get it sorted (about £4 in your local market or look out for small indepandant phone accessory shops that will do it).

Steve, thanks again for that info. If the SIM card swap doesn't work it will be a cheap prepay on arrival. I'll have a look at your Oz blog later today too!