Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I convince my wife to be more flexible?

How do I convince my wife to be more flexible?

Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I convince my wife to be more flexible?

Folks - I need some help.

My wifey has her heart set on Perth for some reason. She thinks the east cost is full of bad creepy crawlies that will kill her and Perth is safer.

She has an old school mate in Bunbury but that's it. I have quite a bit of family south of Sydney near Wollongong/Shelharbour.

Wifey will get a job Ok as a midwife and sonographer.

I am an accountant and financials systems (SAP) egghead and from what I hear, Perth ain't that good for my line of work - better in Brisbane , Melbourne or Sydney.

If we go, then I want to be able to convert my house equity to something nice - and property is cheaper in Perth. I don't want same as I have now in Sydney but the sun shines more....

I just want wifey to be a bit more flexible in case work is better for me elsewhere than perth......

How do I convert her mind............she's a women after all so is this now impossible ?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:52 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I convince my wife to be more flexible?

Originally posted by Olibeneli

My wifey has her heart set on Perth for some reason. She thinks the east cost is full of bad creepy crawlies that will kill her and Perth is safer.

She has an old school mate in Bunbury but that's it. I have quite a bit of family south of Sydney near Wollongong/Shelharbour.

I am an accountant and financials systems (SAP) egghead and from what I hear, Perth ain't that good for my line of work - better in Brisbane , Melbourne or Sydney.

If we go, then I want to be able to convert my house equity to something nice - and property is cheaper in Perth. I don't want same as I have now in Sydney but the sun shines more....

I just want wifey to be a bit more flexible in case work is better for me elsewhere than perth......

How do I convert her mind............she's a women after all so is this now impossible ?
Tough one. Your logic ain't her logic. You have to find a way for it to be 'her' idea to stay somewhere sensible. Try the 'remote' angle? Perth (let's face it) is in the middle of nowhere but the East coast has all the advantages of getting around to other places by car, more to do etc (sorry, Perthies, but PB was right about remoteness).
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What hobbies does your wife have? Ask her if she would mind you being on the dole for 12 months losing your employability?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
What hobbies does your wife have? Ask her if she would mind you being on the dole for 12 months losing your employability?
That's a good one.........I'd enjoy playing golf all day while she delivers babies, but our lifestyle on just her salary will be worse than here !

Doing what I do I in the UK I earn near 4 times what she does, so giving that up is going to be hard unless I know what I am going to in Oz.

My wife has zero hobbies other than......eating. Mind you she has done stakcs of studying in last 2 years for sonography so has had no time.

She likes walking, swimming, partying....outdoorsy type of girl.

Did I say she likes eating already............I'm not saying my wifes fat, but the bedroom light scorches my bum........
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Has she been to ANY of these places? If not chances of the UK perception of them will be entirely different from the reality anyway. Why not visit them before making a decision??
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:04 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Try this:

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/plants_animals/snakes.html
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:09 pm
WBB

Did I say she likes eating already............I'm not saying my wifes fat, but the bedroom light scorches my bum........
LOL

i'm sure she would be pleased to read that.

Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by welshboybilly
LOL

i'm sure she would be pleased to read that.
I hope my sense of humour is accepted in Oz...........

Wifey just about knows how to turn the PC on and find www.lauraashley.com so I don't worry she'll find this site.

I'll introduce her to this site if we ever get a visa or do a recce visit sometime.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:12 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Electro-convulsive therapy?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Megalania
Electro-convulsive therapy?
How many volts to get through to her though..........did I say my wifes fat already.......?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty's suggestion is the most sensible. Sydney is a fantastic place to eat out. No idea about Perth but the restaurants in Sydney are great. I am sure both Perth and Sydney offer equally good walking opportunities and the climates seem similiar.

Big difference is the size of the places and the distance from other cities. This means Sydney has greater variety of opportunities both culturally and career wise.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
Dotty's suggestion is the most sensible. Sydney is a fantastic place to eat out. No idea about Perth but the restaurants in Sydney are great. I am sure both Perth and Sydney offer equally good walking opportunities and the climates seem similiar.

Big difference is the size of the places and the distance from other cities. This means Sydney has greater variety of opportunities both culturally and career wise.
A serious post for a second......

I have been to Sydney 20 years ago.........loved it.

Never been to Perth, but as you say a visit to both would help.

If you had three weeks, would 1 week in Perth, 1 week in sydney and 1 week in Brisbane be do-able for a sense check of each ?

Reminding her that I may be unemployed in Perth for ages is still my favorite line of attack to her inflexibility........
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the fact finding tour type vist in 2002. We spent 4 days in Perth (a day too long) it is lovely but too small/remote for my wife and I. She is a city girl so likes a bit of a buzz. I like mountains and the sea. We spent 3 weeks in Sydney as this was our intended location. We lived with family and I did a coupl of interviews etc and looked at some houses.

We then had 10 days in Queensland - best holiday ever the sea is so warm. But as my daughter really suffers in humid heat its not the place for us.

In the end we ended up in Melbourne. My only word ot advice is to think about work - if you can't get a job Australia won't be a dream. Go to where the work is and everthing else will follow.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Your empoyment is the crux to the question, (must look, crux up in the dictionary, I know what I mean)

I would suggest to her that you start in Sydney, earn some good money, so that you can buy a house in Perth, and move there a bit later, once your fortunes are made, as everyone says that you won't make your fortune in Perth. Any good ?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 8:35 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Pilates or Yoga, then a good old fashined your comming with me girl should do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.