British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How do I buy/lease a car?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-do-i-buy-lease-car-495750/)

StuffedShirt Nov 22nd 2007 11:59 pm

How do I buy/lease a car??

Hi all,

Going to Brisbane on a 457 in next few weeks and wondered if anyone knows how do I buy or lease a car??? I will need wheels for work and I dont really care how I get them! As Im on a temporary visa I cant get a car loan- is leasing an option or would that be a problem too??

Help!!:huh:

thanks- Rach

StuffedShirt Nov 23rd 2007 5:31 am

Re: How do I buy/lease a car??

Originally Posted by StuffedShirt (Post 5589887)
Hi all,

Going to Brisbane on a 457 in next few weeks and wondered if anyone knows how do I buy or lease a car??? I will need wheels for work and I dont really care how I get them! As Im on a temporary visa I cant get a car loan- is leasing an option or would that be a problem too??

thanks- Rach

Anyone??

smee Nov 23rd 2007 5:44 am

Hi all,

thanks- Rach

You may find leasing a car long term to be rather expensive, but to get you around to start with might be a good option.
You might be able to pick up a cheapy run around.

I just saw your from Abergavenny, I'm from Cwmbran.

StuffedShirt Nov 24th 2007 1:55 am

Hi Smee,

Thanks for your reply, Im not sure what to do really about the car- weve been initially refused a loan as were going on a temporary visa- just wondered if anyone had encountered a similar problem and could advise!!!

Might yet have to buy a cheap set of wheels....

PS I used to live in Cwmbran too- Greenmeadow to be exact. Its still the same as it ever was......!:)

Stitch Nov 24th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by StuffedShirt (Post 5594444)
Hi Smee,

Thanks for your reply, Im not sure what to do really about the car- weve been initially refused a loan as were going on a temporary visa- just wondered if anyone had encountered a similar problem and could advise!!!

Might yet have to buy a cheap set of wheels....

PS I used to live in Cwmbran too- Greenmeadow to be exact. Its still the same as it ever was......!:)

You could try the car company. They seem to pretty much match the banks APR (well some do). Check out carsales.com.au or moorooka mile.

Cheers

Ginny

andy thomas Nov 24th 2007 8:25 am

Hi all,

thanks- Rach

Hi Rach

Who told you that you cant get a loan on a temporary visa. We provide cars in Victoria and we do finance for people on temporary visas all of the time. If you want to finance a car you should be able to get a loan for the same length of time as your visa runs for. If you have any trouble give us a call.

Andy

oliver1982 Jan 1st 2008 8:40 am

Hi all,

thanks- Rach

Hi,

Just wondering how this worked out for you in the end as I have the same problem...did you find anyone who would provide finance? Blwyddyn Newydd Dda !

ulpul Jan 1st 2008 8:43 am

Buy a cheap run about with cash. I thought that visa had a minimum cash requirement on it of a couple of 000 pounds?

Leasing will be expensive and you are right about the loan, I couldnt get one initially even on a defacto spouse visa until someone gave me a break and I had some employment history/savings.