Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Wikiposts

How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Once upon a time .......... in Australia and the UK there was a famous product called a 1/4 lb block of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate which had a 'glass and a half' of fresh creamy dairy milk.

Now..... it's metric equivalent is smaller and they have dropped their famous slogan because it doesn't have the glass and half anymore! Enjoy it nevertheless - 'because you are worth it' to pinch another slogan.

It's interesting from a marketing viewpoint (well I think so anyway ) how chocolate ads target woman and appeal to motives of self-indulgence.

'Why have cotton when you can have silk' is the subtle Masterfoods plea to eat Galaxy/Dove rather than the 'cottony' Cadbury opposition.

'And all because the lady loves Milk Tray' (after the James Bond exploits to get the choccies to the lady).

Do you remember when you had to love someone enough to give them your last Rolo? Well now the ad has changed, it's 'sod them' you have the last one, they're that good - a sign of the times I guess (me, me, me)

OzTennis
I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. It must be a sign of the times. We are not encouraged to share our choccie any more but scoff it our selves as quick as pos. For me the add that sums up that is for Terry's orange, where Dawn French says it is not Terry's it is all mine, and gives her guests some old biccies instead. I wouldn't be going to her house for a cuppa lol.
I said that to DH he just said it is because we live in a capatalist society so we are not encouarged to share. I blame Margaret Thatcher lol.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I said that to DH he just said it is because we live in a capatalist society so we are not encouarged to share. I blame Margaret Thatcher lol.
But didn't M Thatcher believe in sharing things equally ? The Poll tax for example, where an identical sum was to be paid by each person towards replacing rates

Not that I was there at the time though

Anyway I disagree with Dawn French.... They're MINE !! Especially the dark chocolate one

And I don't share my Jaffas with anyone, they stay hidden in my desk

Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should all,"get a life" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh and a personal trainer ..................mm
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:50 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

Originally Posted by queenie
What no musk sticks?

Haven't seen Jaffas around for ages, wonder if they are still making them. Darrell Lea does something similar but not called Jaffas.

Just read your byline, we were the same as you, me Aussie/British, hubbie British on spouse visa emigrating with 2 young kids. He is just going for his Aussie citizenship ceremony this month. Good luck!

Queenie

Thank You Queenie

Not sure I'd get my Hubbie to agree to actually *being* Australian - he's had a lifetime of hating our sportspeople too much (Shane Warne, David Campesie etc ) to actually become one of us too . He's too British and cynical to go in for all that "national pride" that a citizenship ceremony would involve

Out of interest, has your hubbie actually lived in Oz before haivng his citizenship ceremony ( I take from your message you are in the process of emigrating but not there yet?)

Michelle
(oh, and thanks for the reminder of Musk Sticks which I also LURVE!)
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Hi Michelle,

My brother in law is exactly the way you decribe your Hubbie. Very much into sport and sportspeople. His whole family hates any Aussie sportsperson just for being Aussie, and don't like my sister much due to her Aussie links. They lived in Adelaide for 1 year and he ended up loving it, so they are planning to emigrate in a few years time. He got on well with all the sports crazy Aussies and enjoyed the banter with them. The weather there also let him do sport much more often than the UK. He even took up netball!

My Hubbie is not remotely interested in any sport and doesn't care a toss what is said about any country. We have been in Oz 2 years and he hasn't looked back. He is Scottish/English but has a bland accent. No-one can ever guess where he is from - the closest they get is "Is your husband European?" If he had to give up his British citizenship to go for Aussiedom, he wouldn't but as we travel a lot, he thought it was easier to have an Aussie passport as well.

I wonder if he will have to sing the national anthem or anything...I bet he doesn't even know what it is.

Queenie

Originally Posted by michellemac
Thank You Queenie

Not sure I'd get my Hubbie to agree to actually *being* Australian - he's had a lifetime of hating our sportspeople too much (Shane Warne, David Campesie etc ) to actually become one of us too . He's too British and cynical to go in for all that "national pride" that a citizenship ceremony would involve

Out of interest, has your hubbie actually lived in Oz before haivng his citizenship ceremony ( I take from your message you are in the process of emigrating but not there yet?)

Michelle
(oh, and thanks for the reminder of Musk Sticks which I also LURVE!)
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I think you should all,"get a life" ,,,,,,,
I've got one thanks It involves large amounts of dark chocolate at regular intervals. And your problem is???????
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
I've got one thanks It involves large amounts of dark chocolate at regular intervals. And your problem is???????
Not enough chocolate !!

"real" chocolate contains theobromine, caffeine, phenylethylamine and anandamide, chemicals that are known to affect the brain.

The anandamide affects brain chemistry to produce feelings of calm and well being.

http://www.swissmaster.com/secrets/secrets.htm

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not enough chocolate !!
Obviously
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
Obviously
But....... be warned.........

The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, California believe that "chocolate contains pharmacologically active substances that have the same effect on the brain as marijuana, and that these chemicals may be responsible for certain drug-induced psychoses associated with chocolate craving."

from the same link

Old Jun 24th 2005, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But....... be warned.........

The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, California believe that "chocolate contains pharmacologically active substances that have the same effect on the brain as marijuana, and that these chemicals may be responsible for certain drug-induced psychoses associated with chocolate craving."

from the same link
It is only half seven in the am and I am getting chocolate cravings already. I just hope it is pregnancy hormones :scared: