Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Wikiposts

How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pandanda is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How disgusting are Aussie sweets?

Nope, it's the King size freddos

Or wait, is that just me eating them all?

According to the ingredient list, the chocolate shouldn't taste all that different, apart from the fact that Aussie chocolate contains more cocoa and more milk and no vegetable oil lol. Although I heard somewhere that it has more hazelnut flavours in it.

British Cadbury Dairy Milk:
Milk, Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Vegetable Fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476) Flavourings. May contain traces of nut, wheat & soya. Cocoa Solids 20%, Milk Solids 20%

Australian Cadbury Dairy Milk:
Full Cream Milk, Sugar, Milk Solids, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, 476), Flavours. May contain traces of nuts. Cocoa Solids 26%, Milk Solids 27%
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I had M&M's at the weekend. They definately didn't taste as nice as in the UK. But then it may just be a matter of taste, what you are used to.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:46 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

What confused me (doesn't take much) is that sweets are called lollies here, as are lollies...........

Cas
Don't think anybody got the play on words at the end......but you sound like you kow your lollies
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:49 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

didn't really find the chocolate that much different but the jelly sweets are truly disgusting. mind you not such a bad thing, my kids hardly ate any of them whilst we ere there
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:02 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried one of the Cadburys Boost bars which have recently been launched over here. (been available in the UK for probably 15 yrs)
This used to be my favourite in the UK (so if I go past a british sweety shop I tend to buy one even though there about $3.50 a bar :scared: )
so them finally coming to OZ was a pretty exciting time

I can honestly say having just tried one it is the only chocolate bar I have ever had to spit out and throw away, it was disgusting ( I should of realised given a plain bar of Cadburys is pretty rank over here...)
What a let down, I cant see the logic in releasing a product to a market, branding it identically to one that has sold for years elsewhere and completely changing the way it tastes
Surerly they either decide to sell them into the OZ market for one of two reasons:
a) Because of demand from people who have eaten it in the UK (I dont know of it being sold elsewhere in the world)
b) Because of its popularity and success elsewhere

Either way surerly it needs to taste the same ???

Rant over
There must of been to many E numbers in it
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve99
There must of been to many E numbers in it
Maybe not enough E Numbers, they often contain the flavouring

Seriously though, it may be too much Cocoa in it. I tried the 85% cocoa chocolate recently, and must admit that it didn't agree with my taste buds !!

But I think they need more here to stop it melting to fast.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:37 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I had M&M's at the weekend. They definately didn't taste as nice as in the UK. But then it may just be a matter of taste, what you are used to.

Katie
Thats odd. I've found that M&Ms to be one of the few "lollies" that taste the same as UK
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Actually, I have just had a phone call from Cadburys to explain it !

I emailed them to ask why it would be so different, and got a phone reply back within 20 minutes !! Whatever the chocolate is like, Customer Service is FAST.

It comes down to many things, one of which is the grass that the cows eat, which in turn provides the milk.

The recipe used is also different, to accommodate the results of tests done in the Australian market, to ensure that the final taste is suitable to the majority here.

So... the bottom line is that Australian and British taste buds are different.

Now... I wonder if they will give me a free tour around the Cadbury factory

Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP
Thats odd. I've found that M&Ms to be one of the few "lollies" that taste the same as UK
Strange, maybe it is just down to taste then.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Actually, I have just had a phone call from Cadburys to explain it !

I emailed them to ask why it would be so different, and got a phone reply back within 20 minutes !! Whatever the chocolate is like, Customer Service is FAST.

It comes down to many things, one of which is the grass that the cows eat, which in turn provides the milk.

The recipe used is also different, to accommodate the results of tests done in the Australian market, to ensure that the final taste is suitable to the majority here.

So... the bottom line is that Australian and British taste buds are different.

Now... I wonder if they will give me a free tour around the Cadbury factory
I reckon you should ask them for some free samples to get you used to the taste of Aussie chocolate.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:59 pm
ABCDiamond

I reckon you should ask them for some free samples to get you used to the taste of Aussie chocolate.

Katie
Now there is a thought. A free welcome pack from Cadbury's for every new arrival from the UK I'll work on it

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jun 13th 2005 at 7:24 pm.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:01 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Katie
Or we could send them some samples of the UK stuff so they can see how much nicer it could taste
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if anyones realised this, Myer sell real swiss chocolate, about 3 different kinds including lindt and some belgian stuff for about the same as a aussie choccie bar.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I dont know if anyones realised this, Myer sell real swiss chocolate, about 3 different kinds including lindt and some belgian stuff for about the same as a aussie choccie bar.
I didn't know that. Lindt is grogeous. Thanks I will look out for it when I am next in Myers.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:06 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No there is a thought. A free welcome pack from Cadbury's for every new arrival from the UK I'll work on it
I'm not a new new arrival, although a few years ago I was a new arrival. Can you get it backdated as well ??? purlease

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.