Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you secure a job before you left the UK?

How did you secure a job before you left the UK?

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 11:32 am
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice
Default How did you secure a job before you left the UK?

Hi Guys

Just wondering how many people out there manage to secure a job before they left Blighty, and how did you go about it if you did.

There's so much to get your head around with this, isn't there? :scared:

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 11:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you secure a job before you left the UK?

Originally Posted by mikey73
Hi Guys

Just wondering how many people out there manage to secure a job before they left Blighty, and how did you go about it if you did.

Cheers

Mikey
I did try it with one job. The agency told me I would be doing well to get $60K as an accountant with 10 years experience. I passed and glad I did too. I was fighting firms off who wanted to pay me a lot more than that once I got here. So unless you are strapped for cash and need to start earning straight away I would wait til you get here and can see how it really is.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Looking for work as soon as we arrive is not on my cards!!...It's well down me list SSSShhh <whispers> don't tell me missus
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

Hi Guys

Cheers

Mikey

Fortunately I don't need to worry - I'm on an internal transfer at work so not had to do anything at all. They are sponsoring for a temp long stay visa - they will consider sponsoring for PR after I have been there for 6 months if i want.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We started by looking at the job websites and sent resumes off. In our cover letters we stated that our PR had not been granted yet but we were expecting to land in July. My husband had 2 job offers, both stating they were willing to wait until he got here. I had one (which I am going to take) and they said they would give me until September 1 to start so we could spend some time getting our bearings in Perth first.
We did not use agencies, mostly because I didn't know they were out there! If you are going on a skilled visa, you shouldn't have any problem once you arrive finding work. The whole idea of skilled visas is that they are in need of your skills.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 3:54 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Cheers

Mikey
I don't know what line of work you are looking for but you can find a list of current vacancies here http://movetoperth.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...1143862343/0#0 they are updated regularly or for more information pm me.

Lynn
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:19 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice

Thanks Everyone

It's great to know that it isn't all doom and gloom about finding a job, and it's nice to know that so many people on this site are all too willing to give advice when you need it.

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigy
Fortunately I don't need to worry - I'm on an internal transfer at work so not had to do anything at all. They are sponsoring for a temp long stay visa - they will consider sponsoring for PR after I have been there for 6 months if i want.
What happens if they "consider" it and say no? (happens quite often) Do you know if it would be possible to get PR on your own merits?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
What happens if they "consider" it and say no? (happens quite often) Do you know if it would be possible to get PR on your own merits?
They did offer it before I came out but I found out that these can take a while to be processed. I have enough points to be able to do it on my own but may have a to save a little more first...
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigy
They did offer it before I came out but I found out that these can take a while to be processed.

Employer sponsored migration applications are given priority processing (although a skill assessment or salary exceeding A$151k is requirement for immediate PR under ENS)
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I don't know what line of work you are looking for but you can find a list of current vacancies here http://movetoperth.com/cgi-bin/yabb2...1143862343/0#0 they are updated regularly or for more information pm me.

Lynn
Have just tried to PM you but have had message saying you "need to clear some space to accept further messages" will try again tomorrow
Lynne
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Cheers

Mikey
Hi
We applied for jobs from the UK (emailed, phoned and posted) and also sent out cold call letters. In doing so, we felt we had a head start in the job hunting once we got here. We both had a couple of contacts to go see when we got here.

We hadn't secured a job before we got here, but we were both employed within 3 weeks of landing in Brisbane. Double edged sword - I was glad to be employedy, but damn, it was so nice outside, I wanted to go to the beach
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 11:48 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I was glad to be employed, but damn, it was so nice outside, I wanted to go to the beach
I'm Lovin' it!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 12:49 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Its the job situation in Oz that worries us the most. Almost to the point that it looks as though my boyfriend is not going to give up his job, and I will be living in Oz on my own, with him making fleeting visits in an attempt to keep the relationship alive. Its all starting to fall apart even before we get there...sorry - I digress.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Cheers

Mikey
We had to look for a sponsor.
Went on to white pages, phoned the first plumber/gas company as it began with A.
And they said YES, 2 months later we landed in OZ, and never looked back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.