Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you overcome homesickness?

How did you overcome homesickness?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question How did you overcome homesickness?

Following on from the last few posts:
What did you do to help you settle?

My mate, who now lives on the gold coast , got himself a video camera and drove around our home town and recorded all derelict house, places with graffitti and everything he really didn't like about home.

And for the first year all him and his wife done when he got homesick was sat down and watched it.

Thay have now been there nearly five years.
I think this is what we are going to do what do you all think?

I thought it was a pretty good idea
Old Jan 16th 2004, 7:39 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you overcome homesickness?

Originally posted by Dicko

My mate, who now lives on the gold coast , got himself a video camera and drove around our home town and recorded all derelict house, places with graffitti and everything he really didn't like about home.

And for the first year all him and his wife done when he got homesick was sat down and watched it.

Not for us, we aren't leaving because we hate it here...

I think you need perserverance and the knowledge that you will get homesick.
I think some people really think that they don't, but I think that most do, for a short while at least, if it's immediately, after a few weeks, or after a few months....
(of course there are exceptions)
And for some it passes, and some it stays........
I think people should also be realistic enough to have a back up plan for coming back (money and the state of mind). Especially older people with kids.
Why are some people so sure they don't need that, even if they've never lived there before, or haven't even been for a holiday!!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Not for us, we aren't leaving because we hate it here...

I think you need perserverance and the knowledge that you will get homesick.
I think some people really think that they don't, but I think that most do, for a short while at least, if it's immediately, after a few weeks, or after a few months....
(of course there are exceptions)
And for some it passes, and some it stays........
I think people should also be realistic enough to have a back up plan for coming back (money and the state of mind). Especially older people with kids.
Why are some people so sure they don't need that, even if they've never lived there before, or haven't even been for a holiday!!

I think the reason he done this was not because he hates home but just the things he wouldn't miss it obviously helped him, but I think he just likes Aus that much he wanted to remind himself why he chose it.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi
I think really its a case of just having to cope , as for getting over homesickness we are all different i suppose . We have been here 15 months now and i still get very homesickness , perhaps more missing family and friends and familarity than homesickness , but when it kicks it its very hard , its like a death i think and you just feel very sad and weepy , and it hits at funny points to . So i just try and keep going , keep my chin up , go and sit on the beach and just think , it helps sometimes.
Joanne
Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Joannes right, you'll miss family and friends not the country. I must say I havn't had many lows since being here but when I do I either pick up the phone "depending what time it is of course" and chat to someone oversea's or go for a walk along the beach, the sea air seems to clear your thoughts it does mine.

We have been here for almost a year now and it's gone very fast, but at the end of each day I still think we made the right decision in coming here and our daughter who's nearly 5 agree's too, when asked where she'd rather live she always say's in Australia.

Good luck to you all coming out.

Juls
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:05 pm
owieb

What homesickness!?!

Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:56 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Dicko

Everyone is different and homesickness has a different meaning to all people. If you find ways to help you overcome homesickness, go for it.

I have been here 7 years, took me about 5 to feel settled then once I did I needed yet another challange and on my way back for a couple of years to the UK. I know both countries have their good and bad points and realised the trick in life is to really enjoy the good points of each place. I am going back to the UK primarily to be with my family.

Hooking up with other expats does help and this is not meaning just surround yourself with them, just helps to share memories and familiar things. We had an expat club for a short time in our area, that helped plus we joined the NSW Man Utd Supporters Club (no jokes please). Both had mixes of all nations attending.

In saying that some of my dearest friends here in Oz are Australian, so in time you will fit in. The trick there is "fit in" as you are never going to change the Australian ways, critising or moaning about them I found never worked so went with the flow.

You have to become Australian, I guess it is survivial. I have seen expats who haven't given it a go and tried to fit in and they are unhappy.

Having great technology and cheap phone calls really helps too.

Good luck with settling in.

Best regards
Merlot

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Merlot
Everyone is different and homesickness has a different meaning to all people. If you find ways to help you overcome homesickness, go for it.

I have been here 7 years, took me about 5 to feel settled then once I did I needed yet another challange and on my way back for a couple of years to the UK. I know both countries have their good and bad points and realised the trick in life is to really enjoy the good points of each place. I am going back to the UK primarily to be with my family.

Hooking up with other expats does help and this is not meaning just surround yourself with them, just helps to share memories and familiar things. We had an expat club for a short time in our area, that helped plus we joined the NSW Man Utd Supporters Club (no jokes please). Both had mixes of all nations attending.

In saying that some of my dearest friends here in Oz are Australian, so in time you will fit in. The trick there is "fit in" as you are never going to change the Australian ways, critising or moaning about them I found never worked so went with the flow.

You have to become Australian, I guess it is survivial. I have seen expats who haven't given it a go and tried to fit in and they are unhappy.

Having great technology and cheap phone calls really helps too.

Good luck with settling in.

Best regards
Merlot

Tell me more about the NSW man utd supporters club - now ur talking!
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:25 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by Swaffy
Tell me more about the NSW man utd supporters club - now ur talking!
Manchester United Supporters Club NSW
PO Box 693
Sutherland NSW 1499

Tel: 02 4348 5930
Fax: 02 4648 5931
Mobile: 0408 028 766
E-mail: [email protected]

They meet every month in Sydney - we live away from there now so unable to attend but still Members.

If you return to the UK for hols, they can assist in getting tickets for OT.

Good luck
Merlot

I think I'll pop this on a post, thanks for asking.