Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

Sorry Ozzie, we are one of those couples that do "jointly".

Had been together about 8 years when I was thumbing through the local paper and saw a flat I quite liked the look of but didn't do or say anything, a few hours later other half was looking through, saw the same flat and said - that's not bad, let's go and have a look. We had never talked about living together.

Few years later, we were talking with friends, who said as a joke, about time you two got married and had kids and we looked at each other and agreed.

We were renewing his aussie passport a couple of years ago, we got home and without discussing it, just started making plans for moving out here.

We disagree on lots of stuff but the biggies for some reason happen without discussion but with complete agreement.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry Ozzie, we are one of those couples that do "jointly".

Had been together about 8 years when I was thumbing through the local paper and saw a flat I quite liked the look of but didn't do or say anything, a few hours later other half was looking through, saw the same flat and said - that's not bad, let's go and have a look. We had never talked about living together.

Few years later, we were talking with friends, who said as a joke, about time you two got married and had kids and we looked at each other and agreed.

We were renewing his aussie passport a couple of years ago, we got home and without discussing it, just started making plans for moving out here.

We disagree on lots of stuff but the biggies for some reason happen without discussion but with complete agreement.

Lol, been some good responses on here, and some heartfelt ones which is great to see. Personally i think the third party catalyst is the best way to initiate a response like robos and jen and steves.

Personally speaking whilst in a state of flux myself, I've been on the blower to my brother and my ole man. After a few minutes chat with each of them, my long term problem is seemingly solved, strangly enough in a 'no worries" almost Aussie kind of reaction. I suppose thats "middle briton" for you.

Hats of to my much younger brother, I left the UK, when he was 13ish, saw him again at 23 and saw him last year at the age of 40, and now he has my 20 year old Daughter Boarding at his gaffe.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:54 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Good question ....

We'd talked about going somewhere else for a few years but never really decided on anywhere and it was always going to be 'in a few years' or 'at some point'. Then we went out for a quiet lunchtime pint with a mate who'd just spent a month here with his girlfriend and after our 8th double-vodka ( ) I declared there and then that we'd put our house on the market and bugger off

Mrs M was a little shocked but we talked about it and both decided why the hell not? 2 years later (give or take 3 weeks), here we are.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

We kind of jointly decided aswell. Initially it was just that we wanted to leave UK but where we wanted to go, really weren't sure. We toyed with the idea of America and even looked into Bulgaria. After the visit to Bulgaria we decided that we definitely had to make a move but it certainly had to be somewhere English speaking, especially as the children are all at school.

Australia was always on my list of possibilities and hubby just started watching more programmes about it and speaking to other people, so quite quickly swayed to the idea that maybe Australia was the right place for us. Luckily his skill was on the demand list, a bonus!

We are off in 12 days...........yahoo!

Theresa
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooperhome
We kind of jointly decided aswell. Initially it was just that we wanted to leave UK but where we wanted to go, really weren't sure. We toyed with the idea of America and even looked into Bulgaria. After the visit to Bulgaria we decided that we definitely had to make a move but it certainly had to be somewhere English speaking, especially as the children are all at school.

Australia was always on my list of possibilities and hubby just started watching more programmes about it and speaking to other people, so quite quickly swayed to the idea that maybe Australia was the right place for us. Luckily his skill was on the demand list, a bonus!

We are off in 12 days...........yahoo!

Theresa

Blimey well done, especially with kids as well.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle]
One person in the relationship is bound to feel more strongly about the move than the other. How did you raise the issue at home, Did one partner come home after a bad day or a few bad weeks even, and say, thats it I want out of here, and the other go along with them. ???QUOTE]

with us - it was OH who really wanted to go about 12 years ago - and we could have gone out there fairly easy with plenty of points. I on the otherhand was close to my family - I suppose I am to some extent, but i never wanted to go. Then all of a sudden things started to change - we had our eldest son, my family started to grow apart, we moved to Slough to be nearer my family in some respects but this never really happened. (Families are so odd aren't they?)

Anway after we had our second son I took my eldest to Sydney to stay with a friend -quick holiday, fell completly in love with everything over there. came back and told OH that we should go, started the process - still with enough points to get us there easily. then Bang a very close friend of the family died and I felt that we couldn't go ahead with things. so it was put on hold once more.

Now after all this time and after yet another holiday to Perth, we visited Mandurah and loved it - it was also one of the place that was listed for us to live on our visa application, we have both played a major part in it this time and are now waiting to have the meds and Pcc done and fingers crossed we'll get there.

I sometimes wish that we had gone for it all those years ago. but that's life.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

My guy and I both had a desire to visit Aus and after we unexpectedly lost his very dear dad we decided 'you only live once and have to make the most of it!' so we booked a holiday there. We then decided to book our wedding there (Sydney Botanical Gardens - didn't tell anyone till afterwards - even the family!!!!!)

We had the most fantastic time. We didn't decide we wanted to live there we both just 'knew' I suppose and our time there confirmed how we felt!

I can't even remember discussing it, as soon as we got back in 2002 we just sort of launched into the process of getting qualified (I am an accountant) and submitting our application and it's all we have thought about since.

I wouldn't say that one of us wants to go more than the other it just what we feel we have to do....
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Everyone is different, obviously. People feel the same thing in many different ways. If a couple were to feel exactly the same about something, in my book that probably wouldn't be the healthiest way to have a relationship.

Bearing the above in mind, how did the people on here decide to Migrate. One person in the relationship is bound to feel more strongly about the move than the other. How did you raise the issue at home, Did one partner come home after a bad day or a few bad weeks even, and say, thats it I want out of here, and the other go along with them. ???

Way back when I started the migration process 25 years ago, it was mostly because my then Girlfreind who is Aussie. Decided after her second winter that she wanted to go back home. I didn't want to lose her, so proposed, got married, all within 6 months, applied to migrate within a month of getting married. and about 8 months later found myself here. Which I was very grateful for and have enjoyed a great deal. In fact at the time, I honestly and truely used to have nightmares about waking up back in England. That was more to do with the prospect of being apart from my wife, than any location issue though.

Due to the fact that I had those nightmares, I think my wife, who gave me tacit approval to look at the possibilty of us spending time in the UK, Didn't think I was as serious about it as I turned out to be. Hence we had mismatched expectations.

Consequently I'm really interested on how people on here reached a decision to Migrate.

I was sold on Aus from my early teens (have lots of family there). Tried to get out in my late teens but feel under the influence of women and booze and kinda went off track....this lasted to well into my twenties.

Then settled down pestered my wife for 2 years to consider it, took her there for a holiday and sold the idea to her. Now finally we'll hopefully be applying next year to emigrate! Sounds not too far away but I'm not counting my chickens yet!!!! Loads of money to pay off debts and to save and lots of other things need to fall into place...
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I was sold on Aus from my early teens (have lots of family there). Tried to get out in my late teens but feel under the influence of women and booze and kinda went off track....this lasted to well into my twenties.

Then settled down pestered my wife for 2 years to consider it, took her there for a holiday and sold the idea to her. Now finally we'll hopefully be applying next year to emigrate! Sounds not too far away but I'm not counting my chickens yet!!!! Loads of money to pay off debts and to save and lots of other things need to fall into place...
Mine was exactly the same as your australia_bound!!! Bit spooky that.Except mine was men and brandy!!

It seemed a bit wierd reading what you had written when it was our story too. Sentance for spooky sentance!!!

Paul was also sold on it after a holiday... wise move we took eh??hehe

Our app is going in in June though, at last!!!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:38 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

we'd been discussing it for a few years, hubbie would have gone a few years back. it was me that hung back as very close to my family. then 18 months ago, rang my older brother who had lived nz then aus for over 12 years adn asked "how could you leave your family?". he answered "my family is within my four walls, these are my main concern". this got me thinking, and then i bumped into a friend who had already started the visa process. that was it. we made our appointment the next day. hubbie was cock-a-hoop!!!

it needed to be both our decision. took me a few years but we got there in the end.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Mine was exactly the same as your australia_bound!!! Bit spooky that.Except mine was men and brandy!!

It seemed a bit wierd reading what you had written when it was our story too. Sentance for spooky sentance!!!

Paul was also sold on it after a holiday... wise move we took eh??hehe

Our app is going in in June though, at last!!!

Must be a common story, funny enough I'm called Paul but my misses isn't Cath now that would be even more spooky lol :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:30 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseG
My guy and I both had a desire to visit Aus and after we unexpectedly lost his very dear dad we decided 'you only live once and have to make the most of it!'
Actually that was something else that pushed us on. A friend at work had emigrated to Canada as a teenager and he was always saying you should make the most of your opportunities. Then he died quite suddenly in his mid 50s and we started thinking along the sasme lines of "life's too short".
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If we don't get accepted for Australia, (fail the TRA and we will reapply), then Italy has always been our second choice.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:53 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Wi goat pished and thought aye, that'll be a laugh
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:15 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my hubby were set up together by a friend of ours. The first time we went out we did the old tell me about yourself stuff, and he said he would be moving to Australia. Well I just thought OK and nothing more came of it. 2 years later he has an operation and went to Oz to recover for 6 months at his mums house. When he came back he said he was going to move over there and I could go too if I wanted. I wasn't sure so I said I wanted to go on holiday first. So, we booked flights to go on holiday 18 months later. This way we'd have enough money to stay longer if we wanted. Anyhow, 11 months later and I'm pregnant so we have to bring the holiday forward by a month, and still I think we should've gone sooner as flying home 38 weeks pregnant is not fun I loved it, knew straight away I'd be happy there, and thought it'd be a much better place for our child to grow up. We decided we would look into emigrating but we decided to wait until Libby was 2 as we didn't want to be living with his mum with a baby and in that time we got married and his family visited England then couldn't wait to get 'home'. The time came for us to look into migration and I ended up needing an operation...11 month waiting list so that put us off by another year. Then finally the TRA application could go in. Thinking it'd be ages before we get there we went out for another holiday, saw hubbys brother get married on the beach, returned home to a positive TRA result then it was all go to get us here. It may well of been originally my hubbys desire to go to Australia but it ended up being very much a joint decision.
Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.