Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

Everyone is different, obviously. People feel the same thing in many different ways. If a couple were to feel exactly the same about something, in my book that probably wouldn't be the healthiest way to have a relationship.

Bearing the above in mind, how did the people on here decide to Migrate. One person in the relationship is bound to feel more strongly about the move than the other. How did you raise the issue at home, Did one partner come home after a bad day or a few bad weeks even, and say, thats it I want out of here, and the other go along with them. ???

Way back when I started the migration process 25 years ago, it was mostly because my then Girlfreind who is Aussie. Decided after her second winter that she wanted to go back home. I didn't want to lose her, so proposed, got married, all within 6 months, applied to migrate within a month of getting married. and about 8 months later found myself here. Which I was very grateful for and have enjoyed a great deal. In fact at the time, I honestly and truely used to have nightmares about waking up back in England. That was more to do with the prospect of being apart from my wife, than any location issue though.

Due to the fact that I had those nightmares, I think my wife, who gave me tacit approval to look at the possibilty of us spending time in the UK, Didn't think I was as serious about it as I turned out to be. Hence we had mismatched expectations.

Consequently I'm really interested on how people on here reached a decision to Migrate.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

We moved out of London about 7 years ago as we was fed us with gangs of hoodies loitering the streets at gone midnight causing havoc for the fun of it (plus tons of other things too, but just 1 point)

Anyway, where we are now everything was fine for a few years, but the same old crap is moving out, and is pretty much on our doorstep again! ...

Sooooo, we're moving again, but a little further this time ... lol

To be honest we considered going to France - South of, but the language barrier was going to be such a problem, and the International schools were far away from where we was considering, plus VERY expensive!

One night I said to the missus "what about Australia?" ... it has nice weather, nice people (ok, sure not EVERYONE is, but every Aussie I've come into contact with has been fine), they speak English, and EVEN drive on the left! ...

She replied "get us in there, and I'm happy to give it ago!" ...

I'm working on that bit!

Anyway, we ran it past the kids and the dog, and they ALL liked the sound of it! ...

Did the reccy in July (dog couldn't come, but we told him all about it!) and ALL of us still want to give it a go there! ...

I must say, after visiting Oz, we both say to each other all the time now "how did we consider France ?!?!?!" ... but there ya go!

Should be in Oz in 8 weeks hopefully! ...
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

Jointly?

J - o - i - n - t ----- l - e - e - e - e - y ?

Sorry, not familiar with the term.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Jointly?

J - o - i - n - t ----- l - e - e - e - e - y ?

Sorry, not familiar with the term.

Cheers

Buzzy

The thing is Buzzy, I reckon in a partnership, one will always want something at a different level, or at the very least have different expectations. Especially with something like uprooting and moving 12,500 miles.

I suppose it doesn't make any difference in the end though.

This has not been one of my better weekends dammit.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Consequently I'm really interested on how people on here reached a decision to Migrate.
Easy. First time around, I wanted to come here, my wife had 2nd thoughts.
I came, we divorced. Piece of cake really

Everything is replaceable

Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice
Smile Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

with us,Steve always wanted to go to NZ but i never wanted to then we moved away from my home town in Hampshire about five years ago (so i had made a small break from my home town) my sister has been trying to get us out to visit her in Mandurah w.a since we have been married 15 yrs..
but i never wanted to go then a neighbour of ours(cranni)went to Bunbury western Australia and just before she left i started to look up about it on the internet...that was it..we were then both desperate to go we have had to wait till Steve finished his Degree/pgce and now we are just waiting for his work experience to be up so that we can apply(may)for our 139...i would say i am probably more excited and always checking on here to check the 139 has not changed yet but we are both desperate to go and waiting has probably made it more clear to us...Jackie
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:52 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

He said..."Do you Wanna"...I said ..."suppose so...why not!"......exactly the same way we agreed to get married and exactly the same way as we agreed to have the kids! (saddly true!)
Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:38 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How did you Jointly reach your decision to Migrate... ??

A friend of mine (Dicko), stopped me in my tracks one day and told me in work that he had applied for visas to Oz. I was really envious of him, as me and the missus had discussed doing this for the previous 15 years, but sadly as is very often the case done nothing about it! So after a long chat with the kids we decided that it was now or never (our main application went off before xmas).
I feel that without the inspiration from Dicko we probably would still be just talking about it. He made me realise that it was in fact do-able, after all we were similar in so many ways, (married, 3 kids, parents both died very young, disgruntled with job, got a feeling of always something missing in our lives). So there you go that is how we decided upon taking the necessary steps! I must say though that Jan (the missus) has always been very focused and more determined than me, and is our driving force in the whole process. Gary.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:13 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty similar to Paul2004. We were going to build a house in France as a holiday/retirement home which we could also rent out to pay for itself (South west corner about 40 mins from Biarritz), bought the land and went back on holiday to meet builders ets and decide on the house we wanted. Came home and I bu**ered the whole thing up by saying "sod it, let's just go for good" She was a Nursing Sister and the language barrier was too great for her to transfer her job etc so we put it back to Plan A. I came in from work a couple of weeks later, she showed me an article in a nursing magazine written by a UK nurse who had moved to Perth. She said "what d'you reckon", I said "yeah why not" - really was as simple as that - and the rest, as they say, is history. From "yeah why not" to living in Brisbane in less than 1 year.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:16 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I did the obligatory year's working holiday in 92/93 and fell completely in love with Australia. At that time, I didn't have enough points so I came home got a degree and a job.....and a boyfriend who had no interest in moving to Oz. Roll on a few years and I met OH who was already considering moving to Canada seperately. We got together, talked about us both having the desire to emigrate, got hitched and popped out 2 kids, all in 3 years!! We were both still secretly thinking about moving, neither wanting to tell the other for fear of where it might end up!!! 2 sets of friends of ours (YAMAHAHA and another couple not on here) decided to move to Oz and it really stirred up all those old emotions again, and one night we just both kind of decided, let's do it. Unfortuantely, and this is the real killer, we had both turned 35 just ONE month earlier and no longer had enough points AAARRRRGGGHHH!! Can you believe it?

So here we are, joint decision made, but desperately trying to find a way to make it happen. One thing's for sure though, we ARE moving, if not to Australia then somewhere else, but god we really want Australia
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into it about 10 years ago but at the time hubby was till recovering from a nasty car accident and we were not very well off financially so it passed us by. My parents moved to the USA with work and we were living in the UK with 4 children.
Then later Ian applied for a job in Belgium never expecting to get it and they offered him the position, unbelievable job, fantastic money and an experience of a lifetime so we made our first move out of the UK.
After 3 years in Belgium we were due to return to the UK but we both knew early on that we would rather go elsewhere. The difficulties of a language barrier were far greater than we had realised so we soon decided that we would look to move to a country where they spoke English if possible. We looked at the USA (no work for Ian due to citizenship/security issues in his area of work and not really where we want to be with the kids), Canada (very little work for Ian and 2 years for me to finish my teacher training without income :scared, NZ (enough points and although Ian couldn't find work there it was only a year for me to finish my teacher training and be able to work) and Australia (Some work for Ian possibly and again only 1 year for me to finish my teacher training but we didn't have enough points). Ian applied for work in Australia and our plan B was NZ with Ian giving up work and looking after the kids for a while . We had a few knockbacks and had basically decided to go with our plan B when this job came up and we came here to Victoria.
We have always both wanted to live away from the UK but we come at the problem with different attitudes. I am happy to sell it all up and come here starting from scratch, Ian is more sensible and needs to have more stability to be happy especially as we have the kids.
Nicky
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:08 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Except children, of course
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Met the missus following an escape from London to the joys of the west country. Bath drove me ****ing mental over a period of 10 years, we moved a short way north to the Cotswolds to escape the traffic and the tourists. Were happy for a couple of years, had a sprog. Missus had previously never entertained visiting Oz because of a fear of spiders, but living in the country soon cured her of that. My dad's a fifth generation ozzie and I've had dual-national status since I was a sprog and had visited and enjoyed the country many times. Anyway - the missus and our son Josh came out for the first time two years ago and fell in love with the place. Two weeks after we got back she turned round to me and said "Shall we move there then?" And that was that - applied for visas for them - got them very easily bar the tedious form-filling. We're out here for two months (Dec/Jan) to make double-sure - missus and sprog still feel the same way.... roll on July 06 when we wind up here permanently.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:27 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Everyone is different, obviously. People feel the same thing in many different ways. If a couple were to feel exactly the same about something, in my book that probably wouldn't be the healthiest way to have a relationship.

Bearing the above in mind, how did the people on here decide to Migrate. One person in the relationship is bound to feel more strongly about the move than the other. How did you raise the issue at home, Did one partner come home after a bad day or a few bad weeks even, and say, thats it I want out of here, and the other go along with them. ???

Way back when I started the migration process 25 years ago, it was mostly because my then Girlfreind who is Aussie. Decided after her second winter that she wanted to go back home. I didn't want to lose her, so proposed, got married, all within 6 months, applied to migrate within a month of getting married. and about 8 months later found myself here. Which I was very grateful for and have enjoyed a great deal. In fact at the time, I honestly and truely used to have nightmares about waking up back in England. That was more to do with the prospect of being apart from my wife, than any location issue though.

Due to the fact that I had those nightmares, I think my wife, who gave me tacit approval to look at the possibilty of us spending time in the UK, Didn't think I was as serious about it as I turned out to be. Hence we had mismatched expectations.

I've been and lived in Aus for many years when i was younger so i know that we'll all love plus i never stop talking about it........
we kind of decided to go in the same way i told her i loved her "suppose i love you..."........"don't suppose you fancy getting married ?...."....."don't suppose you fancy uprooting to the otherside of the world with me do you ?..."

And here we go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pursuasion skills extroadinaire !!!!!!!!!!

Ali
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.