Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you feel when your container arrived?

How did you feel when your container arrived?

Old Jul 7th 2003, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default How did you feel when your container arrived?

What an anti-climax. Our container arrived yesterday, yes on a Sunday, almost three months to the day since it was packed up in the UK. I think it took longer than expected as it was a shared container and also the ship didn’t stop in Fremantle, but went on to Melbourne and our stuff then had to wait to come back.

I thought we’d be thrilled to see everything again but after three months without it and being used to minimalist living we were just overwhelmed by how much junk we’ve brought! We now have a lounge room full of boxes, half of which we won’t even bother to unpack until we move again. Of course there were things we were pleased to see at last, like the webcam, tools, CDs etc. and the kids were pleased to see toys and the PlayStation. I wish we’d brought a bit more furniture (only brought two beds and a dressing table) and less junk! We got rid of so much before we came too. In retrospect I wish we’d brought things like the tumble dryer and coffee tables etc. but we’re here now so that phase is over and the next one is beginning (along with a lot of baggage now!). I think the unpacking was made worse by the thumping hangover after a late night with Abegas & Co and Baldbutts & Co!

Everyone writes about when their stuff leaves the UK but you rarely hear what it’s like when it arrives. A lot of clothes and bedding are having to be washed as have a musty smell. I did pack a lot in two of those big cheap shopping bags you can buy – you know the blue & pink stripey things. The removers just then boxed them up. They’ve come out the other end fine, even smelling of washing powder still, so that’s one tip I can pass on! We had our Christmas tree confiscated as customs say it has soil on the base, for an artificial tree that’s never been outside I find this hard to believe but there’s nothing we can do, pay to have it cleaned or dispose of it.

How did everyone else feel when their belongings arrived, did it make you feel more at home or were you like us thinking “why did I bring this????�.
Oh well back to the unpacking!

Loopy
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi - only me. What can I say except HAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Love you really!

Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Grrrrrrr. Fancy an unpacking party???? Or, should I say what the hell & have a garage sale?

Back to box N0 86!

Loopy going loopier by the box!
Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:42 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you feel when your container arrived?

Originally posted by Loopy
What an anti-climax. Our container arrived yesterday, yes on a Sunday, almost three months to the day since it was packed up in the UK. I think it took longer than expected as it was a shared container and also the ship didn’t stop in Fremantle, but went on to Melbourne and our stuff then had to wait to come back.

I thought we’d be thrilled to see everything again but after three months without it and being used to minimalist living we were just overwhelmed by how much junk we’ve brought! We now have a lounge room full of boxes, half of which we won’t even bother to unpack until we move again. Of course there were things we were pleased to see at last, like the webcam, tools, CDs etc. and the kids were pleased to see toys and the PlayStation. I wish we’d brought a bit more furniture (only brought two beds and a dressing table) and less junk! We got rid of so much before we came too. In retrospect I wish we’d brought things like the tumble dryer and coffee tables etc. but we’re here now so that phase is over and the next one is beginning (along with a lot of baggage now!). I think the unpacking was made worse by the thumping hangover after a late night with Abegas & Co and Baldbutts & Co!

Everyone writes about when their stuff leaves the UK but you rarely hear what it’s like when it arrives. A lot of clothes and bedding are having to be washed as have a musty smell. I did pack a lot in two of those big cheap shopping bags you can buy – you know the blue & pink stripey things. The removers just then boxed them up. They’ve come out the other end fine, even smelling of washing powder still, so that’s one tip I can pass on! We had our Christmas tree confiscated as customs say it has soil on the base, for an artificial tree that’s never been outside I find this hard to believe but there’s nothing we can do, pay to have it cleaned or dispose of it.

How did everyone else feel when their belongings arrived, did it make you feel more at home or were you like us thinking “why did I bring this????�.

Loopy
HI loopy .who did your delivery ? any opinions on the delivery,would be apreciated.............. MM
Old Jul 7th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

John Masons UK side, Wridgeways in Perth.
Pleased overall, couple of squashed things and a damaged dressing table but nothing too major.
Wrdigeways are snowed under so working weekends and delivered on a Sunday, better for us as not at work.

Loopy
Old Jul 7th 2003, 9:16 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

John Masons UK side, Wridgeways in Perth.
Pleased overall, couple of squashed things and a damaged dressing table but nothing too major.
Wrdigeways are snowed under so working weekends and delivered on a Sunday, better for us as not at work.

Loopy
yes know the feeling , did you deal with joe FARREL, ?? MM
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi loops, can't wait for stuff to arrive, but looking forward to finding somewhere to put it!!

Mash...

Originally posted by mr mover
yes know the feeling , did you deal with joe FARREL, ?? MM
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:30 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: How did you feel when your container arrived?

Loopy
I was really exited about our stuff coming! My daughters bedroom now looks like a toy shop and we haven't unwrapped a lot of it yet!
I too wish we had bought more furniture, but in our case we bought no furniture!!!
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

our unpacking was quite sad really. just after we got here we found out most of our stuff had been nicked from the shipping company's warehouse before it even got to see the container! So when ours got here we had no idea what we had left or what was taken, so it was rather sad when we started to realise what had been lost. most of the stuff that was left would have been better off left behind as most of it was just stuff we had room for in our container. I'm glad we have our bedroom furniture though as that is quite special to us, just wish we'd brought along our leather suite as we can't seem to find one as nice here. The kids were excited though as two of the boxes were full of their toys and thankfully these were ok. It was like christmas all over again for them.

Mandy
Old Jul 7th 2003, 12:14 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
our unpacking was quite sad really. just after we got here we found out most of our stuff had been nicked from the shipping company's warehouse before it even got to see the container! So when ours got here we had no idea what we had left or what was taken, so it was rather sad when we started to realise what had been lost. most of the stuff that was left would have been better off left behind as most of it was just stuff we had room for in our container. I'm glad we have our bedroom furniture though as that is quite special to us, just wish we'd brought along our leather suite as we can't seem to find one as nice here. The kids were excited though as two of the boxes were full of their toys and thankfully these were ok. It was like christmas all over again for them.

Mandy
Sorry you have had such a sad move Mandy but can Mr Mover tell us if your sort of problem is common Or does it tend only to happen to part loads - as they spend time in a UK warehouse. How much safer if a sole use container 'locked' at your home address?

Hope you soon find the items you want and like
Old Jul 7th 2003, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Ours wasn't a common problem, we just used a dodgy company which was recommended to us by a friend! We hired a whole container as we had a car to bring, the problem was the shipping company didn't get the container organised in time for us to load it, even though we had arranged it months before, so our stuff had to be stored in their warehouse over the easter holidays (2002). On the Tuesday after the long weekend the car and most of our stuff was missing, we were already in aus so couldn't do much about it. Anyway, to cut a long story short, our marine insurance didn't cover us as it wasn't in the container, their warehouse insurance didn't cover it as they were already going through with another claim (we had no idea just how dodgy they were!!) so we sued and we won, but are still waiting for our money. Hope it will be all over soon.

Mandy

Originally posted by yafm
Sorry you have had such a sad move Mandy but can Mr Mover tell us if your sort of problem is common Or does it tend only to happen to part loads - as they spend time in a UK warehouse. How much safer if a sole use container 'locked' at your home address?

Hope you soon find the items you want and like
Old Jul 7th 2003, 5:35 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Sad how croos some B*******s can be Hope you get paid out and they don't do a runner before you get your money. Best Wishes