Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how did you decide where to settle?

how did you decide where to settle?

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up how did you decide where to settle?

hi all,
were on with our application, searching the net, reading every post, absorbing all the great info and wishing that we have the sun on our faces instead of the frost on the windscreen.

the question i have is how did you decide where to settle? i am very worried that being on holiday and living and working are to completely different things. What are the pros and cons of Bisbane over Perth, Melbourne instead of sydney or even wider NSW versus QLD.

I would be interested in reading your views the ones that live there now and the ones who are on there way.

Thanks in advance
Richard, Claire, Josh and Harriet
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:53 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Re: how did you decide where to settle?

[QUOTE=rich8509]hi all,
were on with our application, searching the net, reading every post, absorbing all the great info and wishing that we have the sun on our faces instead of the frost on the windscreen.

the question i have is how did you decide where to settle? i am very worried that being on holiday and living and working are to completely different things. What are the pros and cons of Bisbane over Perth, Melbourne instead of sydney or even wider NSW versus QLD.

I would be interested in reading your views the ones that live there now and the ones who are on there way.

Thanks in advance
Richard, Claire, Josh and Harriet[/QUOTE

Have you been to oz before,or are you going blind?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i drew a circle round our work
that simple
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:56 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich8509
hi all,

Thanks in advance
Climate, employment opportunities, feel of the place, close to accessable holiday places, close to friends and that was about it. Brisbane for us.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

We picked Sydney based on it was the place best suited to the work that we do (investment banking and IT), it was sunny, had lots going on, plus some very good friends lived here. The downside is the cost of housing to buy and rent. e.g we rent a place in Paddington (2 bed terrace) and is $600 a week, to buy it would probably be around $750k - $800k. Lots of people who head to Australia want the 4 bed detached house with pool and put that above career satisfaction so they head for smaller and cheaper places. We did look at Melbourne but Sydney's weather is sunnier and the winters not as cold so it came in above Melbourne even though it is more expensive. I guess a lot depends on what your priorities are from your move. But I think getting a good job fairly quickly after arriving helps you to settle and feel your new life is for real.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We considered Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth and researched climate, job opportunities, house prices, general feel of the place - and based on that decided that Perth was where we want to go.

Gina
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the swift advice. We are going blind. well sort of blind. I played rugby over there 10 years ago. The difficult thing is your out look is so much different at 20. All i can remember is the constant sight of the bottom of a beer bottle.

Which is the best points of information you have found for climate and alike?
I am a landscape gardener so i will have to drum up work where ever we go.

cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

Thanks in advance
Hi Richard, Claire, Josh and Harriet - the Gold Coast is where we are headed! If you want I have load of info about the suburbs & loads of images too!
Claire, Steve, Jonah & Suzy
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Richard, Claire, Josh and Harriet - the Gold Coast is where we are headed! If you want I have load of info about the suburbs & loads of images too!
Claire, Steve, Jonah & Suzy
Please, the gold coast is one of the area's we were going to look at in detail.

Last edited by rich8509; Nov 23rd 2005 at 9:35 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:12 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

Thanks for the swift advice. We are going blind. well sort of blind. I played rugby over there 10 years ago. The difficult thing is your out look is so much different at 20. All i can remember is the constant sight of the bottom of a beer bottle.

Which is the best points of information you have found for climate and alike?
I am a landscape gardener so i will have to drum up work where ever we go.

cheers
My wife went at 22 for 6 months and loved everywhere!!!
She took me back for a holiday of a lifetime, Christmas 2003 knowing i would fall in love with it.
We went to Cairns, Townsville, Sydney and Brisbane and a few others.
On the last night when alcohol was taking effect we said where would we live if we had the chance. Together we both said Brisbane!its fantastic.
We had our meds last week so fingers crossed our visa is on its way
Is does depend though on what you want, Syndey was fantastic but like any big city. Cairns was the exact opposite, so Brisbane is the one for us!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigjugs
My wife went at 22 for 6 months and loved everywhere!!!
She took me back for a holiday of a lifetime, Christmas 2003 knowing i would fall in love with it.
We went to Cairns, Townsville, Sydney and Brisbane and a few others.
On the last night when alcohol was taking effect we said where would we live if we had the chance. Together we both said Brisbane!its fantastic.
We had our meds last week so fingers crossed our visa is on its way
Is does depend though on what you want, Syndey was fantastic but like any big city. Cairns was the exact opposite, so Brisbane is the one for us!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Cheers Dude, hope all goes well with your application. if your like me its all you can think about, everything you do is with oz in mind.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:28 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Please, the gold coast is one of the area's we were going to look at in detail.

my mail address is *****
I have sent you an email - BTW I would edit your post & remove your email addy off there as their are unscrupulous people on here who will spam you if you advertise your email addy!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I have sent you an email - BTW I would edit your post & remove your email addy off there as their are unscrupulous people on here who will spam you if you advertise your email addy!

many thanks. i have removed my address as well, clearly a school boy error.

cheers
rich
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We just looked at places that were easy to get to Ian's work from. We took some advice from a local person that we knew and are very happy with our choice.
Nicky
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyP
We just looked at places that were easy to get to Ian's work from. We took some advice from a local person that we knew and are very happy with our choice.
Nicky

where was that choice Nicky?

i have no work to go to, i will be creating my own work when and where ever we settle.

thanks for the advice
rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.