Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you choose mobile Phones+Broadbands...

How did you choose mobile Phones+Broadbands...

Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of
Default How did you choose mobile Phones+Broadbands...

Hi everyone,

With maybe four or five or more competitors (Telstra - Optus - Voda - Three - Orange) in the Oz market, each of them having different plans; Prepaid or Postpaid, was it easy for you to make a choice ???

I personally do not bothe about specail features like cameras, games etc... To me and my husband, most important are Signals and Cost....
Anyone made comparisons concerning plans, cost of calls using landlines and mobiles of same/different network ??

A friend whom move recently to Oz told us that THREE's pricing and technology is competitive/advanced generation but in terms of BROADBAND facility, OPTUS has more to offer like combined package Mobile/Broadband....

Any suggstion welcomed.

Karen

Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:02 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you choose mobile Phones+Broadbands...

Originally Posted by olauf
Hi everyone,

With maybe four or five or more competitors (Telstra - Optus - Voda - Three - Orange) in the Oz market, each of them having different plans; Prepaid or Postpaid, was it easy for you to make a choice ???

I personally do not bothe about specail features like cameras, games etc... To me and my husband, most important are Signals and Cost....
Anyone made comparisons concerning plans, cost of calls using landlines and mobiles of same/different network ??

A friend whom move recently to Oz told us that THREE's pricing and technology is competitive/advanced generation but in terms of BROADBAND facility, OPTUS has more to offer like combined package Mobile/Broadband....

Any suggstion welcomed.

Karen

Pricewise 3 are very good for mobiles...

For broadband checkout Whirlpool...

HTH
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rodders39
Pricewise 3 are very good for mobiles...

For broadband checkout Whirlpool...

HTH

Hi
Thanks for those infos.
I'm trying to find out if ''three'' coverage is good for both mobiles and whirpool broadbands in mandurah..W.A.

What are u currently using..
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:26 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I am just about to upgrade my mobile with O2. Will the phone work ok in Oz? and if so can you get pay as you go sim cards to put in the phone?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for those infos.
I'm trying to find out if ''three'' coverage is good for both mobiles and whirpool broadbands in mandurah..W.A.

What are u currently using..
We use iiNet for home phone and broadband... very good and you'll see on the Whirlpool forums that they're consistently high on the rankings... iiNet have good download allowances, don't count uploads against you, and shape you if you go over your limit which is much better than bigpoo for example who'll bill you outrageously for extra usage... If you get on some of the P2P networks you might find you use a lot of download capacity

Three is very good for business because you get free 20 minute calls between all your mobiles 24/7 plus their charges are lower than the other networks... Having said that I believe to get the best from them you need to be within their 3g coverage area which is fine here in Sydney metro but I'm not sure what it would be like in Mandurah...

HTH
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:00 pm
Timelord

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
I am just about to upgrade my mobile with O2. Will the phone work ok in Oz? and if so can you get pay as you go sim cards to put in the phone?
The phone will work fine out here... Make sure you get it unlocked and then any sim will do...
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodders39
We use iiNet for home phone and broadband... very good and you'll see on the Whirlpool forums that they're consistently high on the rankings... iiNet have good download allowances, don't count uploads against you, and shape you if you go over your limit which is much better than bigpoo for example who'll bill you outrageously for extra usage... If you get on some of the P2P networks you might find you use a lot of download capacity

Three is very good for business because you get free 20 minute calls between all your mobiles 24/7 plus their charges are lower than the other networks... Having said that I believe to get the best from them you need to be within their 3g coverage area which is fine here in Sydney metro but I'm not sure what it would be like in Mandurah...

HTH

Hi HTH
IINet definitely seems to be a good deal but I’m afraid Mandurah is not yet covered. Maybe in the pipeline.

In so far I am concerned, unless and until I move to Oz and find an appropriate long term accommodation, I have no alternative than to look for either Wireless or Satellite broadbands so that the contract which I’ll probably have to sign could accompany me wherever I go… any idea about those types of broadbands ??

About mobiles, I think I will go for Three pricewise….

Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:25 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Any suggstion welcomed.

Karen

Hi there, in terms of broadband I'd go Optus every time (and although I work for them I am far from biased!!) There internet service and support is the best in Australia and has been for the last 4 years in a row. Unlike Telstra, if you reach your data limit you are not charged for going over, the speed is simply throttled. Also, uploading isn't taken out of your data usage. As for the landlines I am with Optus, we use there home business plan rather than their residential one, just because it works better for us. Cheap calls to stds, mobiles and back to the UK aswell. As for mobiles I am with Telstra although I kind of wish I wasn't as we have had nothing but trouble with them (which was also the reason for moving our home line away from them) I can't fault the coverage we get but the customer service is appauling and we still have not had one correct bill from them yet so each month a couple of hours is spent on the phone trying to sort the billing mistakes out.
I know a couple of people with 3 for their mobiles and they have problems with the coverage, they are living in the middle of nowhere though so that could be the problem.
Marie
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:56 am
Timelord

Hi HTH
IINet definitely seems to be a good deal but I’m afraid Mandurah is not yet covered. Maybe in the pipeline.

In so far I am concerned, unless and until I move to Oz and find an appropriate long term accommodation, I have no alternative than to look for either Wireless or Satellite broadbands so that the contract which I’ll probably have to sign could accompany me wherever I go… any idea about those types of broadbands ??

About mobiles, I think I will go for Three pricewise….

I have a data card from Telstra that I used when we toured up the East coast and back, but to be honest the coverage is crap and the charges are absolutely criminal...