Wikiposts
View Poll Results: How did you choose where to settle?
Recommended from forum members
2.63%
Work availibility
5.26%
Family or friends in area
52.63%
Pot luck?
10.53%
Visited area before
28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How did you...

Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:04 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did you...

Choose where you have or want to live?

Be especially intersting from those like me who havent visited.

Bye the way I will visit the area (s) we have narrowed it down to before we commit

Jack
Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:13 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How did you...

Originally posted by Jack Daws

Bye the way I will visit the area (s) we have narrowed it down to before we commit

Jack
I first went to Sydney, but never really liked it down there. I went there because I had family there, and I liked it when I was on holiday there.

I ended up in Brisbane, after coming here for holidays, and much prefer it up here.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I first went to Sydney, but never really liked it down there. I went there because I had family there, and I liked it when I was on holiday there.

I ended up in Brisbane, after coming here for holidays, and much prefer it up here.
Hi ABC,

I too spent a lot of time in Sydney as well as Melbourne, but after discussion with the wife, decided on Brisbane.
I really enjoyed my time in Sydney, but have aged 10 years since and hope that Brisbane is for us when we get there.

Will
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack
Visited Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney wasn't for me, but I felt a special connection in Melbourne which made me think I "was home"
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:27 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

SO far then no as picked a place by pot luck or trusted anyones judgment from this site?

Jack
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:34 am
WBB

SO far then no as picked a place by pot luck or trusted anyones judgment from this site?

Jack
would you?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:50 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

We have never been to OZ but have decided to settle in Adelaide as we have family there. I have friends who live in Sydney but we want to settle somewhere quieter and not so expensive! A lot of our decision has also been based on what we have found on the internet and just plain old pot luck! I guess it's hard to make a judgement about the rest of your life on one fact finding mission!

Good luck wherever you decide.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:00 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

When choosing a place to emigrate to I think most people would find it hard to state just one reason - well I certainly do, that is why I have not voted.

climate, jobs availablity in destination, visited several cities (& surrounding area), friends (even though we are not choosing where they live), our personal likes, diving for me, what I have read from various sources (incl here), all contribute to varying degrees.

The answer for us is Sydney, plenty of others don't get the same result.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 5:18 am
Banned

WBB

would you?
Well I would visit the place before moving over lock, stock... But yeah I think I would listen (trust) what people on here have wrote.

When you think about it on here there is a diverse group of people who are moving over for pretty much similar reasons to one another. Even though they end up settling in different places if we all have at least some common traits then who better to ask.

Just like someone stated you cannot get to know a place on a 2 week fact finding mission. We intend to narrow it down to a couple of places by asking you lot (you are good you know ) and researching those areas to death and then go have a look.

Potluck?

Not too sure about that, but some brave sole must have just stuck a pin in a map and gone for it.

Jack
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I would visit the place before moving over lock, stock... But yeah I think I would listen (trust) what people on here have wrote.

When you think about it on here there is a diverse group of people who are moving over for pretty much similar reasons to one another. Even though they end up settling in different places if we all have at least some common traits then who better to ask.

Just like someone stated you cannot get to know a place on a 2 week fact finding mission. We intend to narrow it down to a couple of places by asking you lot (you are good you know ) and researching those areas to death and then go have a look.

Potluck?

Not too sure about that, but some brave sole must have just stuck a pin in a map and gone for it.

Jack [/QUOTE]

Going over end of March to take a good look around NZ(2mths) and if we like what we see then we are going to settle there, obviously job offer(work visa) req'd.

This site is a valuable resource, however many have already settled on their destinitation before using this fora. Whats the worst thing to happen is that we all have a great long holiday and realise its not for us, on the other hand good chance it'll be exactly what we are looking for.

With 3 kids in tow(4, 3, 18mths) there's going to be a certain level of stress & worry but hey nowt comes to anyone sitting on their ar5e and life is what you make it Going with a pretty open mind if NZ is not for us then on to the next plan of action.

Anyway Jack, I thought you were NZ bound, had a change of mind?

PS. I'll be hopefully visiting some expats on my travels
Old Jan 27th 2004, 8:47 am
Banned

Anyway Jack, I thought you were NZ bound, had a change of mind?
Yes still hopeful we can make NZ, it is our first choice. We have hit a bit of a brick wall (qualifying times after MRS grad. From 2 to 4 years, puts us outside limit). We are trying to over come this but thought about other options to achieve the lifestyle we want.

Just posted on another thread

"Yeah OZ only came about during a walk in Clumber park!

We where talking about our lifestyle hopes in NZ when the talk came to "could we acheive it in OZ." Hence all the questions in the last few days."

Seems we are hitting a different wall for OZ though

But no pain, no gain and all that.

jack